Harbor Freight Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sold my farm and moved to Arizona last year, but, until then, Harbor Freight tools were great for us. Still are if I need anything. With nine kids, the loss rate for tools is incredible. Also, with two tractors and two balers, two cars a pickup and a boat, the need for sets of tools is far beyond what can be afforded getting the good stuff. Buying Harbor Freight wrench sets, sockets, ratchets, etc., just plain makes economic sense.

I also bought my framing nailer, 8 inch disk grinder, coil roof nailer and other tools there. I needed each for one job and have used them for several at less than the cost to rent for the number of days or weeks each first job took.

I also bought a real good Hobart welder there about ten years ago.

When tools are constantly being lost, or are needed for a short job, Harbor Freight makes sense. For the professional, it usually does not.

I have also had Harbor Freight tools break, sometimes from manufacturing flaws. Replacement was never a problem.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

I'm absolutely amazed why anyone would do business with Harbor Freight.

It's hard to imagine, but some people simply don't know any better.

And then wonder why there are ever fewer jobs in many segments in the USA.

But its all good so long as uncle Sam gives enough of a handout to get to the race trac station down the interstate to buy cigs. Don't judge else you be ignant.

So buy the tool at Harbor Freight or go to another store and buy the name brand chinese tool and spend more. Its only your money you'll save.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

I'm absolutely amazed why anyone would do business with Harbor Freight.

It's hard to imagine, but some people simply don't know any better.

And then wonder why there are ever fewer jobs in many segments in the USA.

But its all good so long as uncle Sam gives enough of a handout to get to the race trac station down the interstate to buy cigs. Don't judge else you be ignant.

So buy the tool at Harbor Freight or go to another store and buy the name brand chinese tool and spend more. Its only your money you'll save.

Why would I buy a Chinese tool at all? Buying the Chinese tool was exactly my point.

Why would I buy a Chinese tool at all?

Price point might be one reason. Have you priced a Plumb hammer lately?

Amount of use may be another.

Quickly available without spending $$$ on gas hunting for another option.

There are many many reasons to purchase H/F tools.

#2579392 - Yesterday at 08:21 PM Re: Harbor Freight Tools [Re: Pop_Rivit]
jcwit

Loc: no. indiana I was going to make a reply here but its only going to turn into a bash Harbor Freight thread.

I dont see how buying a foreign tool at harbor freight for half the cost of the same tool at sears AAP or AZ makes any difference.

no I cant always mail order and spend 5x for a tool I will use 1-2 times a year max.

The problem with Harbor Frieght is it seems like their tools are low quality for even china tools. And I'm not so sure they are much cheaper than other retailers' usually better quality china tools. There are a few exceptions but it seems what few Harbor Frieght tools that are quality aren't any cheaper than other stores. So overall HF seems to be a bad value.

Well, for me, none of your arguments hold much water.

Ill gladly pay more for something that keeps a job in the USA versus overseas in the third world.

Amount of use is a good point, but I dont really mind paying a bit more for a tool (it might be different for a $300 item, but for a $25 vs $10 item, its a no brainer).

There are a TON of stores both large and small, that are closer than HF. With the internet it is easy to find what you want and where it is. In fact, you can even order your tools!

So I dont see many good reasons to buy HF tools for the most part. Granted I own some, and for example, in my analysis I found their battery analyzer was the best, so I bought it.

But Id rather buy proto from McMaster Carr than HF any day.

Well, for me, none of your arguments hold much water.

Ill gladly pay more for something that keeps a job in the USA versus overseas in the third world.

Amount of use is a good point, but I dont really mind paying a bit more for a tool (it might be different for a $300 item, but for a $25 vs $10 item, its a no brainer).

There are a TON of stores both large and small, that are closer than HF. With the internet it is easy to find what you want and where it is. In fact, you can even order your tools!

So I dont see many good reasons to buy HF tools for the most part. Granted I own some, and for example, in my analysis I found their battery analyzer was the best, so I bought it.

But Id rather buy proto from McMaster Carr than HF any day.

Well I've had this discussion before. Regarding keeping our jobs here in thge U.S. is a fine idea, but look on the back of your computor, TV, small appliances, and large appliances for that matter, check your shoes, all of them, and all the rest of your clothing, check out the country of orgin for all your food products, finally check the amount of foreign material and products are in your "U.S.?" vehicle.

Furthermore at my age of 68 I sure don't need the high prices tools any longer, and I seriously doubt my daughters wish any of them after I'm gone.

Also consider the U.S. made products carried by Harbor Freight and the excellent prices they offer for them.

HF has a fairly complete full line catalog. If I want to rent a roof nailer for $100 or buy one for $100 and get to keep it... that's my option. I pull up their website and, shoot, they have a roofing nailer. I rarely have to look somewhere else. I often choose to.

McMaster Carr or Grainger charges what feels like full retail MSRP. Plus I feel like someone in some secret corporate club gets a better deal. HF coupons are all over the internet and even their regular prices are okay.

I only recently heard of Armstrong tools. If Craftsman (and Danahar?) are going Chinese, their similar if not identical Armstrong USA line are only getting the business through word of mouth. They don't advertise! HF blitzes me with paper mailings, ads in Readers Digest, and emails. HF also has competent staff. Sears has snarky commissioned sales droids. I tried buying a TV from them but the warehouse was closed when the showroom was open-- no sale!

We can bash Habour Freight, but the last time I was in their stores, I saw American people working in the store.

I agree that we should keep jobs in America, but when these corporations would sell out their own mothers to make a buck, who's side should we be on?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Grainger charges what feels like full retail MSRP. Plus I feel like someone in some secret corporate club gets a better deal.

As an individual you will be paying close to or at MSRP with Grainger and big corporations do get great deals that you won't. They have good selection, very fast shipping, and are sort of a one stop shop for many industrial products, but they are not a bargain store for consumers.

Only if there's no U.S.A. made version of that tool available anywhere else on the planet.

Most HF tools are copied from U.S.A. versions.

Only if there's no U.S.A. made version of that tool available anywhere else on the planet.

Being as I'm a Vetran living on a disability pension, how bout you giving me all the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I need to only ever purchase U.S.A. tools.

Yup for me there is a place for Harbor Freight.

BTW Merkava, check out all the stuff in your home, I'd bet there's a bunch of imported there let alone chinese.

The days of buying only U.S. made anything are over. Sad to say, but thats the reality of today.

Being as I'm a Vetran living on a disability pension, how bout you giving me all the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I need to only ever purchase U.S.A. tools.

BTW Merkava, check out all the stuff in your home, I'd bet there's a bunch of imported there let alone chinese.

The days of buying only U.S. made anything are over. Sad to say, but thats the reality of today.

Be happy there are actual American wage earners left to pay for your disability pension. Where do you think it comes from, trees? It was painful to pay AMT, but I know where it is going.

Fotunately I have a real, American job. If all we are stuck with are wage slaves selling Chinese junk, where do you think the money will come from?

And when everyone is pulling some kind of government assistance, don't expect your disability check to be as regular or as large. We can't run defecits and have Chinese buy our debt forever.

68 or not, veteran or not, it is important to consider that it is due to US productivity, US manufacturing, and US employees that keep things afloat. The Chinese foundry making your HF tools could care less if you were dead in a ditch. Not saying the US CEO does either, but at least the US taxpayer is funding your payments.

Not trying to be mean, but the $5/hr HF counter clerk isnt paying enough taxes in a month to cover your disability check. You need real, well-paying US jobs that make stuff and do stuff. The same jobs that get farmed out to China for $1/day or whatever the prevailing wage is. The cavalier attitude is what has caused the scenario of everything going to the third world.

If I was lucky enough to have a disability pension, I'd be buying all USA and German
made tools. I won't be getting a pension; I'll be having to work until I fall over dead.
frown.gif

Absolutely right, JHZR2. For instance, some people criticise the former pay level of US manufacturing workers and autoworkers. But the thing is their spending and taxes paid from that pay were lifting all boats. We didn't have deficits, police and fire and other public services cutbacks, rough roads, empty stores and restaurants closing etc. There's a high hidden cost to "cheap" imports and low wages. It's false economics.

You got it all wrong. Its because of people like me you have a free country to work in. Thanks for supporting my service. Your post says a lot about you!

I met many with your attidude during the Viet Nam war.

Last edited:

If I was lucky enough to have a disability pension, I'd be buying all USA and German
made tools. I won't be getting a pension; I'll be having to work until I fall over dead.
frown.gif

Be forever thankful you did not get disabled serving.
Further you're wrong with the statement about buying USA and German tools, I ask you, with what, VA pensions are not a huge some, again be thankful you do not have to live on one. Regarding the fact you'll have to work till you fall over dead, I'm sorry that you can't manage your finances.

frown.gif

How does buying anything from Germany help the economy here in the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back