Fish Head

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just asking when you eat fish do you eat the fish head. Most don't eat the head but it's really the best part of the fish.

I save the heads for fish soup. Usually I like red fish, but these are small fish(menpachi) so I would use about 8-12 small heads. After eating it...seems my body likes it..gives a real soothing feeling.

My wife eats all the fish heads, including eyeballs. Fish eggs too.

We also make fish soup.

I love fish sauce, btw. Wife customizes it with vinegar, sugar, garlic & super thin carrot strips.
20.gif

Many Vietnamese dishes need fish sauce, specially egg rolls. Now we can buy prepared fish sauce for egg rolls in Vietnamese groceries.

I do like fish head and fish eggs too.

Smash up some peanuts and sprinkle in the fish sauce for the egg & spring rolls... Yum.

The best meat on the entire fish is the cheek. For those unaware, it's sort of the same as the 'oyster' in a chicken thigh.

And actually, cheek meat is also the best meat on a pig too.

Originally Posted By: cutter
The best meat on the entire fish is the cheek. For those unaware, it's sort of the same as the 'oyster' in a chicken thigh.

I agree. That why I love the head.

Fish head soup as recalled growing as young child an important nutrient sort of a thing. The fish head had a lot of important nutrients especially for the growing younger ones.

Originally Posted By: cutter

+1 on the fish head cheek meat. Being Asian, this isn't too weird for me.

I once got a whole roast duck from the Chinese market. Watching my cousin eat the duck's head was a bit much, though.

Black eyed peas made with jowls....YUM!

Fish head fish head rolly polly fish head.

Back on topic, my mother would make fish head soup with a little bit of tamarind soup base.

Originally Posted By: BrownBox88
Fish head fish head rolly polly fish head.

Back on topic, my mother would make fish head soup with a little bit of tamarind soup base.

Viet? If so, canh chua is excellent.

I find the cheek meat of any animal I am eating the flesh of to be superb.

I've had several fish head dishes that were quite tasty. I always call the salmon cheek meat when I smoke my salmon.

Here's one: Barbacoa - cow cheek meat. Man it tastes just like a tender perfect steak.

The secret is that the fish cheeks are the best meat of the entire fish, and it is boneless and a fish meat texture with no slimy or gooey substance! Even if you don't eat the fish head you should try it out.

The rest of the head? I'll make a broth out of it and use the broth to make a tofu soup. Yum.

I'm all about the cheeks.

Doesn't matter what animal.

At the very least, use the heads for making stocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back