Hybrid cars and synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a hybrid constantly starting/stopping the engine and perhaps seeing even lower oil temperatures than a regular vehicle in cold weather I think synthetic oil is worth it in in colder climates. In warm weather it'd make very little difference.

I'll keep using Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 in my Prius just because. I feel comfortable running a quality synthetic 7500-8000 miles in this car, and that makes it a decent value from a price:performance standpoint.

Last edited:
Most come with synthetic from the factory.

After all, synthetic oil is slippery-er then conventional
27.gif
and they are trying to squeeze out every last drop of MPG.

The newest Toyota hybrids are the only ones that require 0W20 synthetic oil.

None of the others require synthetic oil.

Originally Posted By: dakotasport94
do you think the new hybrid cars such as the Toyota and the Honda's could benefit from synthetic oil?? and how??

just a question I was wondering about...

Just my 2 cents.

If the gasoline engine is running most of the time run the good stuff. If it's used like a push mower during a drought, run 30HD in it!

Last edited:
I was curious how exactly this works too....:) since, most of the "benefit" of these hybrids is inter-city, stop and go traffic....where the engine is for the most part "off" and merely running on the battery (and obviously, cycling back and forth to keep it charged).....

Wouldn't this "engine on" (to charge.....), ooooopppps, here's a stop sign, brakes applied, better shut the "engine off" to conserve power" about equivalent to "short tripping" since the engine is being "rarely" or "barely" ran enough to actually "warm up" the oil......?

Then I was thinking, perhaps that's why they spec a 0W-20 (I know Toyota for sure....) - being a lighter weight oil, perhaps it's easier to burn off possible fuel/moisture in the light, 0W-20 motor oil...?
smile.gif

It is a misconception that the engine is mostly off in city driving.

The engine is actually on most of the time, just like a conventional car. Most of the battery charging is done by regenerative braking.

Also, the engine runs far more often when it is cold.

I work at a Toyota dealer & we put synthetic 5w-30 in all the Prius we service here. Looking at the SDS it lists 0w-20 upto 10w-30 as suitable options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back