GM Dextos oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dakotasport94
compared to what??

Other 5-30 oils that are not Dexos1.

I see an unnecessary "t" is already finding its way into Dexos, just the way it did Dexron... :p

(just being funny, no disrespect to a typo intended here...)

It has better specifications than API SN for some specifications such as turbocharger protection and some other things for new cars, like my Cruze.

So far the best results based on UOA's have shown to be the synthetics. Easily worth it to go 10k+ miles per oil change without worrying.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: dakotasport94
compared to what??

Other 5-30 oils that are not Dexos1.

+1

Originally Posted By: dishdude
VOA shows a more robust additive package and higher quality base stocks.

What's a VOA tell you about base stocks?

The reason I was asking is the fact I now work part time at a GM Dealer's "Goodwrench Quick Lube" and I see them selling the dexos oil and I really wasn't familiar with it. now I kinda asked about it but never got a straight and honest answer.

Now I'm not totally stupid when it comes to oils,lubricants and automobiles. I just didn't really trust their answer.
Now personally I'm not to happy with the way the place is run..as far as pushing the 3/3,000 oil change interval. to me its all about the $$$$. now there is a lot more things i can say about that but ill leave it alone...

Dexos also has a lower allowable limit on NOACK volatility: 13% vs 15% allowed by API.

It's a little bit better than API oils in a few specs. I think it's a worthwhile step up.

Last edited:
I saw the Pennzoil synblend dexos1 specific oil at WM the other day, it was cheaper than PYB, which surprised me.

Last edited:
The difference is Money. GM can't make you buy GM branded oil to meet the warranty requirements. There are laws that say so. But GM can make a specification for oil that must be met to meet the warranty requirements. GM and their lawyers also figured out that they can charge a fee from the oil producing companies to get their oil certified, and an even higher fee for the rights to print the Dexos label on the bottle. Thank you Lawyers.

Automobile manufacturers have always had their own requirements for oil. Ford (Ford WSS-M2C946-AWSS-M2C929-A), GM (GM6094M) and Chrysler(MS-6395) are/were standards that held requirements slightly above the API ratings that were current when they were issued. This time GM has come up with a snazzy name that everybody can remember; Dexos. Thank you Marketing.

Most oils outperform the current API rating when they come out anyway. Ever hear of an API SN oil that barely meets the minimum requirements in every category?

I don't absolutely need to run a Dexos approved oil in any of my vehicles, but I choose to use a Dexos approved product because it also happens to be my oil of choice.

Also, it seems that the oil companies aren't passing the cost of the certification onto the consumer. Valvoline costs just as much as Pennzoil at my local WM, and according to this list, its not Dexos1 approved. http://www.gmdexos.com/licensedbrands/dexos1licensedbrands.html

Interesting, and ironic, as GM engines have typically liked Valvoline. At one time I think the bulk oil many GM dealers used was Valvoline.

You're right, it's about the money, but isn't everything anymore?
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back