cub cadet hydro fluid 737-3120

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHE

can anyone tell me what a good replacement is for this hydro fluid. have heard motor oil but hydro has hydraulic oil filter an if you use oil filter it could air lock. so if you use oil why would not oil filter work. makes no sense.

your post doesnt make sense. please try again.. you mention oil hydraulic filter oil filter and air lock.

I cant get a sense for what you are trying to do.. and what you are looking at purchasing.

yes if cub cadet fluid is replaced with motor oil you have to use hydraulic fluid filter not a motor oil filter. or hydro will air lock. no one knows what fluid is makes no sense

Any 15w40, 5w40, or 15w40 can be used to replace the cub hydro fluid. Some have even used 20w50 dino. In mississippi, i would suggest using 15w40 as it is fairly cheep. Most oil filters will not work. A great aftermarket filter to use is Wix 51410 on most cubs i have seen. Many have used them as replacements and they work great. I have been running one on my 2544 now for several years. Oil filters are different than hydro filters as they have ADBV and bypass valves in them.

thanks nice to hear from some one that has used motor oil in hydro. I used napa 1410 filter at first fluid change same as wix. thanks again

motor oil doesnt have the right kind of protection additives for hydraulic use.

I'd use some kind of high quality. Universal hydraulic fluid first.

TSC is always good if you have one by you.

chances are it wont cost much more than motor oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
motor oil doesnt have the right kind of protection additives for hydraulic use.

I'd use some kind of high quality. Universal hydraulic fluid first.

TSC is always good if you have one by you.

chances are it wont cost much more than motor oil.

In some cases this is true. For this purpose it is what is recommended. If you look up the drive system plus, it is very similar to motor oil.

Also cub cadet has a few different hydro setups. Perhaps it would help if we know exactly what machine you have.

Last edited:
IF you dig around this forum a bit, this has been discussed in depth. there are also many other forums where this is discussed. Many people dont want to pay 11 dollars/ qt of drive fluid if you can use HDEO. Ill post some links if i can find them.

First off, which model Cub Cadet are we referring to? Old IH Cub Cadets use Hy-Tran or equivalent in their hydrostatic drives. Universal hydraulic fluids, ATF and 5w20 motor oil work as well.

Newer models that spec "Cub Cadet Drive System Fluid Plus" can use 5w40, 15w40 or 20w50 in exchange. The Cub OEM oil was made by Shell and called "Shell TTF-SB" (Tractor transaxle fluid - synthetic blend). I've got old spec sheets on it as well. I used Shell Rotella-T 5w40 or 15w40 in mine because the Cub stuff is $10-12 per quart and most hold 6+ qts.

FWIW, lawn/garden hydrostatic drives have used engine oil for decades now.

In regards to the proper spin-on filter for a Cub hydrostatic drive, yes, I have heard of automotive filters being used and the drives wouldn't work until the filter was replaced with a OEM Cub or equivalent hydraulic filter.

OTOH, some owners had no problem with regular automotive filters. To me it wasn't worth the hassle. I'd just buy a quality aftermarket or OEM.

Last edited:
He mentioned 737-3120 which i believe is the "Cub Cadet Drive System Fluid Plus".

Originally Posted By: jstutz
He mentioned 737-3120 which i believe is the "Cub Cadet Drive System Fluid Plus".

It sure is! I missed that.

Joel

yes owner manual states 737-3120, went to walmart to pick up some oil. saw an old friend who sold cubs at his store he said factory told him to use rotella t6 synthetic 5w40 same as cub cadet fluid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back