Techron Concentrate Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you put too much of this stuff in? I added two 12 oz bottles to both my 99 Avalon and niece's 2007 Acura TSX. After a couple weeks check engine light came on both cars. I haven't pulled codes yet but it seem pretty suspicious. Could I have fried both cat converters? TSX fuel tank is 17 gal and Avy is 18 gal so I don't see how 24 oz could be a problem in either car. The 12 oz bottle says it treats "up to 12 gal". Thanks.

Last edited:
Well,I`ve read on twinturbo.net where people had injector failures immediately after use. I won`t put any additives anywhere in my car.

i am not familiar with hondas, but toyotas knock sensors and 02 sensors are very sensitive. i recommend autozone, the will read the code and then print off the what the code is and a list things that would trigger it. All for free.

did you use 91 octane? those engines like the expensive stuff. try doing that at their next fillup and see if that makes the light go off.it wouldnt hurt to disconnect the battery for a few minutes, that will clear the ECM . sometimes those things get " spooked" and there's really nothing wrong. if it comes back , get it scanned and go from there.

I recommend redline si-1 , never had a car act up using it. your engine will thank you
smile.gif

Last edited:
I'd fill the tank up with premium and clear the code and see if it comes back. This might be a gas quality type issue, where you added too much of something that the computer can't compensate and throws a code.

You probably didn't hurt your cats. More likely they were a bit flakey to begin with and now they're a bit coated. Run the tank down as low as you can handle without getting scared and then tank up with the most gasoliney gasoline you can find. Get a good long highway run in, at least a half hour or so; and then clear the codes. See what happens from there.

I've never had a problem with Chevron Techron or TC-W3 in any vehicle.

IMO...the Chevron Techron may have dislodged some dirt somewhere in your fuel lines and it has not burned off yet.

Is this the first time that you have used a Fuel System cleaner in these vehicles, via the gasoline tank?

It could be that you have a build up that is getting cleaned up in your fuel lines, filter or combustion chambers.

I would do as suggested above by YonYon and the others....run it down...don't be alarmed...and refuel with gasoline.

I use to use a 20 ounce bottle of Chevron Techron Fuel System cleaner to 18.5 gallons of gasoline just before an oil change or a long highway trip and never experienced any problems with the concentrated cleaner.

Now I use a maintenance dose of 3 ounce of TC-W3 and 3 ounces of Chevron Techron, in a blended mix, at every fill up of 15 gallons of gasoline. No problems to report.....the T4R runs smooth.

It could be that like the other poster said that the mixture of the fuel due to the additive changed enough to light the CEL, this is not a problem because it is only temporary until the ECU learns to adapt to the combination.

FTR.....the active detergent in Techron "PEA" leaves none of its own residue behind when cleaning. Nothing to worry about from Techron...but of course you should follow the instructions for best results with any product, right? LOL

I've used it @ 2x the recommended concentrate level with no ill affect. I've seen that stuff do wonders...

I read somewhere on here that there is no benefit to higher concentrations.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I have used Techron several times in my 99Avy with excellent results. I always add two 12 oz bottles although I can't remember if it was the regular Techron or the concentrate plus. The bottle says "treats up to 12 gallons" which means 24 oz will treat up to 24 gals of gas (I am not a mathematician but I did sleep at the Holiday Inn last night). Using the words "up to" certainly implies that you can add 12 oz to less than 12 gals of gas. I can't believe using two bottles in 18 gals of gas could be a problem. No, I used regular octane but it was the rot-gut gas at the Giant grocery store.

One important thing I should have mentioned is that the 2007 Acura TSX gave two messages - Tighten Gas Cap and Check Emissions System. Apparently this Gas Cap message is a big problem on Acura vehiicles.

I'll post the codes when I get them.

Last edited:
One bottle per tank is the usual dosage... No one ever reads the label. LOL...

I would refill with gas and have the codes cleared. You should be OK.

I have heard of gas caps going bad, losing pressure.....try replacing the cap.....can't be more than $20 for an aftermarket STANT or Gates cap at your local AutoZone, Advance, etc.....

But yea, in 08 Kia Optima (deceased now) I had a CEL emit from SEAFOAM, of alll things....lol. I chocked it up to loose debris that flaked loose, flew through the o2/cat, and the system went "[censored]? Soemthing ain't right here!" and set the CEL......my first WOT the next morning to work onto I-95, the CEL went off :p

Incinerated the crud I take it
wink.gif

Last edited:
In the original Techron studies, as well as engine testing in labs, there were trials performed on Chevron employee cars. A couple of really old cars ended up with mechanical problems due to dislodging of crud in the fuel tank.

Your cars are not that old, but it's still possible that it has worked and dislodged something.

Having read the original technical paper on Techron several times, overdosing does not have any real benefit. It is best to let the Techron work gently, and the recommended dosing is based on their scientific findings.

Now that paper was first written a long time ago. Engine design has changed, engines are different, fuel is different and even the formulation is different.

I can say though that it works. I have been using Gumout All In One over the last couple of months and everytime I used it, there was an improvement. I am currently on my third treatment on a car that was neglected and will stop using it when I stop feeling an improvement.

My logic is that if the recommended usage is every 3000 miles (and this is borne out by the science), then if you've gone tens of thousands of miles without top tier and / or doing short trips, then it's going to take more than one treatment to fully clean.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Get the code(s) before speculating!

Good news! I cleared the code on my 99 Avy by disconnecting the battery ground and my CEL has stayed off. Pretty sure CEL came on only because my engine stumbled a little when I started it.

On my niece's TSX, the code is P0128 which indicates the engine is taking too long to reach normal op temp. Probably the thermostat ot ECT.

On the Acura, measure the temperature or at least scan it to see what computer thinks ECT is reading. Are you getting enough heat in side the vehicle? Is the engine temperature needle at the usual point when the car has ran for a while?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
On the Acura, measure the temperature or at least scan it to see what computer thinks ECT is reading. Are you getting enough heat in side the vehicle? Is the engine temperature needle at the usual point when the car has ran for a while?

Good questions. I don't have access to her car and I don't know if it has a temp gage. I'll certainly check these items out before I throw parts at it. Please see my thread on this in the maintenance section.

I am sure Acura has temperature gauge. Unfortunately, the driver needs to be aware of the vehicle i.e. where the needle usually stays. She may or may not be that type of driver.

Can thermostat go bad? Definitely! I had to change it on my Camry this fall. I noticed the temperature gauge not reaching its usual point and also that the heat in the car was not as toasty as it used to be. I put my live scanner and was able to confirm that the engine coolant was not reaching the operating temperature. The ECM had not yet thrown any code.

Replacing the thermostat and making sure there were no air bubble in the system got the heat back and temperature needle back to its usual position. Of course, the live scanner confirmed the coolant reaching the operating temperature.

Originally Posted By: artbuc
Could I have fried both cat converters? Thanks.

I doubt it. If your check engine light is flashing, you did. The "check engine" or "service engine soon" light will go on for many reasons.

Hello,

I have ordered the Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System cleaner. Issue is that I ordered the bigger 20oz bottle which is for up to 20gal. But the gas tank size is about 13.2gal.
Unfortunately returning it and ordering the smaller bottles is not a real good option because it has been shipped to Germany.

Is there any risk to the engine when I use use a bottle of the concentrate every 6000 miles (instead of every 5000 miles)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back