TurboChargers and Synthetics

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
From Noria - an interesting article on Turbocharger Coking and Reduction of bulk oil Temperatures:

Book Bits
Synthetic Oil Solves Turbocharger Problem
From "The Practical Handbook of Machinery Lubrication":

A construction equipment contractor was experiencing premature turbocharger failures when certain engines were operated under full load conditions and used around the clock. Investigation through oil analysis and diagnosis of the failed components, revealed that the failures were caused by coking of the petroleum base oil within the turbocharger oil passages, thus restricting oil flow and resulting in bearing failure.

The initial cause of the oil coking condition was excessive temperatures within the turbocharger housing. A fully synthetic diesel engine oil was selected of the same viscosity as the original petroleum base mineral oil and installed. Premature turbocharger failures did not reoccur and oil temperatures dropped by about eight degrees Fahrenheit.

MolaKule, wonder what oil they moved too??? After ArX clean I noticed my Mazda turbo spools quicker. Years of dino oil and neglected oil changes (before me) and coking may have been rectified to a large extent. I was considering importing Schaeffers Supreme 7000 for this engine but maybe returning to full syn would be the go?
I used M1 OW40 and Delvac 1 5W40 successfully before the Pennzoil 10W30 SL dino for the Auto-Rx clean and after clean seal hardening. May just dump the Redline 5W30 I just added to my Sube and stick it in the turbo and try Amsoil 0W30 in the Sube. Great having two test vehicles.

Sprintman,

In my opinion, I wouldn't use any oil in a turbocharged engine that didn't at least contain some type of synthetic to resist oxidation and temperature degradation. I have a friend (farms 3,500
acres) who switched to Amsoil 15W40 AME after he had turbocharger failures on combines and tractors. All of his farm equipment now runs on synthetics.

Sprintman, " MolaKule, wonder what oil they moved too??? After ArX clean I noticed my Mazda turbo spools quicker. Years of dino oil and neglected oil changes (before me) and coking may have been rectified to a large extent. I was considering importing Schaeffers Supreme 7000 for this engine but maybe returning to full syn would be the go?

We can only speculate, since I haven't bought the book yet. Let's See:
Amsoil - 5W30HDD or 15W40 AME?
Delvac1 - 15W40?
Mobil 1 - 15W50?

And whatever other full synth is out there is a possibility.

Before giving up on Schaeffer's try it for 3k and see what the oil analysis says wrt to the same oil vis. you're using now. This is what I plan on doing in order to compare apples.

While the Moly technology in Schaeffer's is not High-tech, it, along with the Schaefer's additive package, is a good value in my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back