AMSOIL Changes XL-7500 Formula

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

AMSOIL Changes XL-7500 Formula To Enhance Oils, Stay Competitive

Q: AMSOIL will be using a different formula for its XL-7500 Motor Oils. Why did AMSOIL change the formula?

A: Our XL-7500 oils are the oils of choice in the retail oil change market, and primarily because of warranty concerns the customers in this market require API-certified oils. In order to obtain API SL/ILSAC GF-3 certification and still remain cost-competitive with the other oils sold at retail oil change outlets, we had to change to Group III basestocks. To obtain API certification with our top tier basestocks would have priced our Dealers out of the market.

Q: Are Group III basestocks synthetic?

A: Yes, they are synthetic. Group III base oils are highly processed oils and were classified as synthetic in 1999.That year, the National Advertising Division (NAD) of the Council of Better Business Bureaus ruled in a complaint by Mobil Oil Corp. against Castrol North America Inc. Castrol claimed its product, Syntec, was a synthetic oil even though it had used Group III base oils since 1997. The ruling by NAD said Castrol presented evidence that constitutes a reasonable basis for the claim that Syntec, a Group III based formulation, is synthetic motor oil.

Q: How did that change impact the lubricant industry?

A: Initially, the decision by NAD shocked the lubricant industry. However, many studies show that Synthetic Group III base oils have been completely changed and converted and are significantly different from traditional Group I mineral oils. They have come to be recognized in the industry and by consumers as synthetic.

Q: Are all Group III oils equal?

A: No, as a matter of fact, they are not. One of the big problems with Group III base oils is the lack of consistency from one manufacturer to another. While the physical properties may meet performance parameters, the performance characteristics can vary widely. That ’s because of differences in the crude oil and the different processes used to refine the crude into Group III basestocks. It ’s quite different from PAO production where the properties and performance are fairly consistent between manufacturers. (See Table 1.)

Q: How did AMSOIL resolve these differences in performance characteristics in the Group III basestocks?

A: AMSOIL has selected the best quality Group III base oils and spiked them with oxidation inhibitors and TBN. They have more gusto than other Group III oils and are fully formulated for 7,500-mile drain intervals. (See Chart 1.)

Q: What prompted the new GF-3 designation?

A: The new designation was driven by three key performance requirements: improved fuel economy, improved protection of emissions control systems and the need for more robust engine oils that offer extended drain intervals. These GF-3 oils are greatly improved in terms of oxidation stability, high temperature deposit control, fuel economy improvement and retention of fuel economy benefits, and lower oil volatility and oil consumption.

Q: Are the other AMSOIL motor oils impacted in any way?

A: Our other motor oils remain unchanged. They are the very best quality synthetic motor oils, formulated for 25,000-mile,or one-year, drain intervals. Our main line motor oils are the premier, top quality oils on the market and that is where they will stay. Unlike the competition that considers Synthetic Group III a major step up in performance, our PAO-based motor oils are still the best.

Q: How are basestocks defined and classified?

A: The American Petroleum Institute classes basestocks in five Groups, defined by sulfur content, saturates and viscosity index. Groups I and II are petroleum-based oils. Group III, as mentioned before, have been most recently designated synthetic. Group IV synthetic basestocks are PAO chemistry. Group V represents all stocks not included in Groups I-IV, such as esters, silicones and polyglycols.

Q: Why did AMSOIL choose to use Group III basestocks in these particular oils?

A: The AMSOIL XL-7500 oils are particularly appropriate for Group III basestocks because they are stable and resist oxidation and volatility. They are recommended for only 7,500-mile,or six-month, drain intervals. Primarily sold to the installed retail market, they give the retailer and customers what they want and need for their vehicles.

I wonder how long it will be until "Amsoil changes all formulas to stay competitive"

[ July 17, 2002, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: VaderSS ]

It will be interesting to see how the technical specs change when this new formula comes out. I'll have to be sure to write down the current XL7500 specs to compare later on.

That sucks.

Has the change actually been made yet, or is this to affect further lots.

Just switched to their XL-7500 10W-30 about three weeks ago.

One other thing now I realized. This leaves no true synthetics in the 5w20 viscosity now. Not that I would ever run 5w20 at all even if the manual called for it.
twak.gif

Patman, I posted some of the specs for the reformulated Amsoil 5w-20 under the "5w-20 subheading" in the "Car and Truck Lubrication" section. Surprisingly, in some respects the numbers are better than the old pao formulation.

I saw that, and am surprised that it posts some better technical numbers! It goes to show
that sometimes the numbers don't tell the tale. I wonder how the oil analysis results will
compare to the old formula? Perhaps this new stuff will be considerably more worn out at
7500mi than the old stuff showed. Does anyone have oil analysis results on the XL7500 stuff?

quote:

A: Initially, the decision by NAD shocked the lubricant industry. However, many studies show that Synthetic Group III base oils have been completely changed and converted and are significantly different from traditional Group I mineral oils. They have come to be recognized in the industry and by consumers as synthetic.

Is it true that "Group III oils have been completely changed and converted"? I was under the impression that while a significant amount of the oil molecules were changed in the hydrocracking process it was less than half of the total. Anyone care to comment?

quote:

Is it true that "Group III oils have been completely changed and converted"? I was under the impression that while a significant amount of the oil molecules were changed in the hydrocracking process it was less than half of the total. Anyone care to comment?

I was under the impression that Group III "synthetics" is just basically severely hydrocracked to rival synthetic-like qualities - nothing more, nothing less.

Regards,

Oz

The Spec is that Group II basestocks have a minimum VI of 95 with Group III being around 120.

Group II and III are both hydrocracked, Group III is done to a higher level of purity, but they are both petroleum based. Group IIIs are good oils, just mislabled and overpriced.

Group IV and V are PAO and Ester based, respectivly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back