First pistol recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I am hoping you can recommend a pistol to a newbie. I have never owned a pistol, however have shot a few semi-automatics.

I am specifically interested in a semi-automatic. It will be used for home defense and target. I definitely want a full-size pistol as smaller pistols feel cramped in my hand and I want something that will help me be more accurate.

I know one of the primary questions some will have is what caliber? This is also where I am looking for suggestions. What is a good caliber for a new pistol owner? My NRA instructor suggested a .22 if I am on a budget or a .40 if money is not as much as a concern.

My fear is buying a .22, learning how to shoot accurately and then wishing I got a larger caliber. However, I am also not the type who would go to a range and fire off a box in 15 minutes. I'd shoot slowly and accuracy would be my main focus. I'd spend a lot of time dry-firing before wasting money learning. I am not interested in a glock.

I appreciate any suggestions.

edit: Budget ~$500

Last edited:
Home defense is fine and all, but without training and a lot of drills, you run the risk of harming others.

.22 is cheap, everything else is really $$$. I'd go .22 first, then move into something larger where the economics meet your time and capability. To me, that would mean targeting a glock 17 down the line.

If they make a good .22 kit, that may be all you need.

Last edited:
Glock 23. IMO, that would be the best pistol, but you don't want it...

Last edited:
I love the ergonomics of my S&W M&P 9mm. Easy to change palmswell grips, and the ambidextrous/reversible controls are great for me as a lefty.

I don't mind my S&W 5946, but it's quite a bit heavier, being a stainless frame vs. the polymer frame of the M&P.

As far as home defense goes, a lot of people will tell you to get some huge caliber so you can take the bad guy's arm off... do consider over-penetration, ie. what happens when you miss Mr. Dirtball and the round goes through the wall of your kid's bedroom.

I would go towards a 9 mm. Ammo is not as expensive as .40 or .45 but still has good stopping power (worked for the Germans in two World Wars, after all), particularly with the self defense ammo available from companies like Hornady. The recoil is a tad lower as well which is helpful if you are a new shooter getting comfortable with a handgun.

Also, a good striker fired semi like the Smith and Wesson M&P is available in full size and smaller models. It is usually a tad less expensive than the Glock. Around here, I just saw a full size M&P (new) for $469 which had two 15(?) round magazines included.

For plinking, you can get the cheaper aluminum cased (non-reloadable) ammo which allows you to get used to the gun for less money spent on ammo. In the latest Cabelas catalog, I saw aluminum cased ammo that is nylon coated at a very low price. Keeps the barrell from copper/lead fouling while practicing.

Think about buying a gun that has a 22LR conversion available. Glocks, Sigs and CZs are three that come to mind. You can buy a .40 or 9mm, shoot the conversion, and if you want to move into the large caliber you already have the gun.

While nobody wants to get shot by one, 22LR really isn't a good choice for home defense. Buying a centerfire gun gives you a much more effective H. D. gun.

All three gun manufacturers make excellent guns that will serve you for years and will hold their value if you choose to sell them later on.

Last edited:
If you can only purchase one, my suggestion would be a Walther PPQ in 9mm. Full sized, striker fired. 15 round magazine capacity. One of the best, if not the best, trigger out of the box. Crisp break and short reset. Sights area easily adjustable and/or replaceable by the owner without a sight pusher. Magazine release is ambidextrous, but located on the trigger guard. Make sure you try this out before you buy. I like it, but not everyone else does. Can be had for a little over $500. Check with various online dealers. Buds gun shop is one (I am affiliated with none.)

There are tons of discussions on caliber for home/self defense. Current 9mm offerings from Speer, Hornady etc provide excellent terminal ballistics. 9mm offers fairly low recoil. Practice ammo is fairly cheap.

I have owned, or still own, Glocks (G19 and G26), Sig P228, HK (P2000, P2000SK, and P30). The Walther PPQ is the most ergonomic with replaceable backstraps and the most accurate. I only have about 800 rounds through it, but have had no failures. But should you have any problems, Smith and Wesson, the importer, has excellent customer service. So does Glock, by the way, should you choose one.

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry
Glocks (G26)

How well do you like this one? This is probably what I`ll be buying for my new concealed carry. I currently carry a Remington 380.

Last edited:
Revolvers are good first guns. Very easy to maintain but still gets you comfortable with shooting.

Agree that .22 is a good way to start. If you opt for a semi-auto as a first gun, .45 or 9mm are both cheap.

I would go to a gun show and pick up many guns and see what fits your hands. You can find many brands under the roof of a gun show and see how they feel in one trip. Then you buy from whatever dealer you want. Even if you want a larger caliber , a 22 is nice to have for practice. 9mm is probably the next less expensive caliber to shoot.

9mm to start.

I hate Glock as much as the next fat person, but now own two and there is nothing wrong with them. They aren't "perfection" but are good guns. Gun Show is a great suggestion. Or a well stocked friendly gun shop.

I'm not specifically recommending any brand but maybe buy used first. My first semi-auto hand gun was (is) a Sig P6 police return. I got it for $300, but now they are 350-400. The DA (double action) is a bit strong (hard trigger pull), but the SA (single action) is great, It's a great platform to learn on, 9mm is cheap and it's very easy to clean and about as reliable as you will get. Generally avoid the other Sigs (226/229) to start as they take time to shoot accurately.

I agree, go to a range and try out a few others, but do so with somebody experienced with handguns. For home defense, I would advise a full size, hi-cap cap gun. Something stone ax reliable like a Beretta 92 or CZ75. These are hefty guns that manage recoil very well.

Caliber I would go with 9mm and 147 grain bullets. Something like these from Federal. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/465852/...point-box-of-20

For practive get cheap 147g FMJ ammo.

The problem with revolvers is that alomst any little kid can figure out how to make it go bang. Semi autos are more difficult especially if you have to rack the slide to load the first round and get the safety off. In my experience, more people can hit with accuracy using the Beretta 92 series than about anything else I have see above 22 cal. The weapon is well balanced. Starting out with a Ruger 22 is a good way to learn the basics. I have a certain affection for the "Government" Colt but I won't get into that. A .45 firing JHP's will stop about any lowlife you encounter. Then you have to explain to the leftys of the world why you had the gaul to defend yourself from the creep who "just started to turn his life around" (so this was his LAST robbery.. well got that part right) . There is probably as much "informed" dsicussion about which caliber is best as there is about oil filters.

One of the best all around weapons that would fit both target and self-defense needs is a S&W K frame revolver. If concealed carry is not a concern, get a 4" barrel. They served the needs of police agengcies for over 100 years and continue to be used by thousands of people yet today. The .38 special round is effective and can be had in a variety of configurations. It can be loaded in +p as well. In addtion, if can be had in .357 magnum which will handle the .38 special rounds as well. The can be had relatively cheaply from on-line distributors like Bud's or J&G sales. With a 3 inch barrel, it can easily fulfill your home defense, target and concealed carry needs.

If opting for an auto, I would highly recommend a Kahr K9 or T9(9MM). I have smaller hands and perfer the K9. The T9 is one inch longer and one inch taller. It has a smooth, deliberat double action only pull. It can be spendy, but you may be able to find one used at a reasonable price.

Try several different options to see what fits your hands. Nothing worse than purchasing a firearm and later finding that it does not "fit" you. The great thing about a K frame revolver is that there are many differnt styles of aftermarktet grips to customise to your needs.

I will also second the Browning Hi Power. A great weapon. I just traded my S&W K frame for the Hi Power. Had it not been for such a great trade, I would still own the S&W. Another great choice in the revolver line is the Ruger SP101 with a three inch barrel. The only down side is it had a stiffer trigger pull than I liked, but that can be cured with a little gunsmithing work.

Last edited:
going to the range and renting a few first is good advice. for most of us its the only way to try before you buy. i would recommend a springfield xdm series pistol or a glock depending on which one you are more comfortable with. 9mm is cheap to shoot. if you will be doing recreational shooting with it as well it may be the way to go.

I was a pilot for the goverment (the 80's) and flew a lot out of Opa-Locka, FL which was a very very bad neighborhood. I carried a gun everyday down there.

I like that thought that some have: that the gun in your pocket is better than the big gun home in your top drawer. The though being some big guns, you may choose to leave at home cause it's uncomfortible (or in my case hard to carry in shorts.

At that time I carried a PPK/S Stainless 380. I though it very safe and it had that little nub you could feel with your thumb to tell you one was in the chamber.

I hated it in shorts, going out to the movies. Just uncomfortible and a few cops showed me they all carried Seecamp 32's as backup guns.http://www.seecamp.com/products.htm
They are double action only with a big long pull. 7 shot but only the size of a pack of smokes and have a rep for never jamming. I bought one and loved it, carried it everywhere in my ft pocket. I could have it in my front pocket,finger on the trigger,aimed at someone in the 7 11 at 2 am and they never knew.
It hit's twice as hard as a 25. Now they also have a 380.

For just in the house I kept a 38. 6 pulls, 6 bangs. You don't have to worry about anything like a weak spring after of years of sitting fully loaded. Loads of ammo choices. I use a small lead wadcutter to range shoot and a Hydroshock.

If I were you I may choose the PPKS 380 as a middle of the road.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back