Are 5w20 & 0w20 Interchangeable?

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
A) 0w20 oils completely encompass and exceed the performance of 5w20 oils. There's absolutely no reason to exclude a 0w20 when a 5w20 is allowed.

This. Thread over.

Originally Posted By: oiltard
A) 0w20 oils completely encompass and exceed the performance of 5w20 oils. There's absolutely no reason to exclude a 0w20 when a 5w20 is allowed.

This. Thread over.

Thanks for the agreement!
grin.gif

I guess that some manufacturer COULD produce a crummy 0w20 that was inferior to other 5w20 oils... but I don't know that its happened yet. At least not in the major brands and the boutique brands.

Not only can you get QSUD in 0w-20 but the grade is available in other brands.

I'm currently using a mixed blend of Mobil Delvac Super, 15w-40 and Mobil Super Synthetic 0w-20 with no problems.

So you don't have to settle for one or two brands of 0w-20 any longer.

Two reasons to chose 0W-20 over 5W-20:

1. Extreme cold that requires distinguishing between a startup at -35°C vs -30°C. In Farenheit, that's -31°F vs -22°F.

2. More commonly, it's because 0W-20 flows better on startup at normal cold temps. Less wear/more mpg. Also, it's generally better quality oil.

Two reasons to chose 5W-20 over 0W-20:

1. You can't afford the slightly more expensive 0W-20 oil.

2. Dealer technicians are ignorant about oil, and they tell you that 0W-20 oil won't meet 5W-20 specs. Try not to laugh at them.

The one time I would choose 5W-20:

1. The engine runs very hot, so you need closer to a 30 weight oil, but the warranty requires 5W-20. Then I'd run Red Line 5W-20.

Phooey.

A) 0w20 oils completely encompass and exceed the performance of 5w20 oils. There's absolutely no reason to exclude a 0w20 when a 5w20 is allowed... other than the fact that the manual is now badly outdated. I've got manuals that say to use absolutely nothing but SG rated oils, too. :p

B) Engineers may generate the basic input for the manual, but marketing and legal get final say and put in a lot of CYA nonsense (legal) or ridiculous things like "no service required unless used for severe duty" (marketing- to make the car look like a toaster and be more 'appealing' to certain buyers).

He's talking about this chart, which has some very specific recommendations for the Avalon.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2454331&page=1

toyotaoilrecommendation.jpg

Last edited:
That is the very chart that got me to start this thread. If 0w20 and 5w20 are completely equivalent, they why would Toyota bother to differentiate between the two, in terms of vehicle compatibility?

I agree that in theory the two should be interchangeable, but for some reason Toyota, in this case, doesn't think they are, and I would love to know why. Trying to get them to explain it is an exercise in futility.

I was an early proponent of 0w30, using Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic in my vehicles back in the 90's. I'd have to special order it and it would often be shipped from locations like Alaska. Things have come a long way since then!

I just find this whole 0w20 vs 5w20 discrepancy intriguing.

I don't think the above-shown chart is the product of marketing - what would be the purpose? There must be some sort of engineering reason that we haven't yet happened upon.

21.gif

I remember looking at that chart, and I can't think of a single reason why the Avalon would spec 0W-20 oil at one point in time, then take that 0W-20 option away.

For example, why does Camry V-6 not allow 0W-20 for 2007-2011? It's the same 3.5L V-6 as what's in the Sienna, Rav4, Highlander, etc, which DO allow for 0W-20.

I do agree with others: anywhere a 5W-20 is specified, a 0W-20 can be used with full confidence. It meets or exceeds the performance of 5W-20 in every category that I can think of. But sure enough, that chart is interesting.

Originally Posted By: Big O Dave
That is the very chart that got me to start this thread. If 0w20 and 5w20 are completely equivalent, they why would Toyota bother to differentiate between the two, in terms of vehicle compatibility?

I agree that in theory the two should be interchangeable, but for some reason Toyota, in this case, doesn't think they are, and I would love to know why. Trying to get them to explain it is an exercise in futility.
I just find this whole 0w20 vs 5w20 discrepancy intriguing.

I don't think the above-shown chart is the product of marketing - what would be the purpose? There must be some sort of engineering reason that we haven't yet happened upon.
21.gif

The 0W-20 and 5W-20 grades are ranges of viscosities.
A 0W-20 can be heavier at operating temperature than a 5W-20 and vise versa depending on the brand and the actual viscosity spec's for each oil.
The Toyota and Lexus oil charts are for their TGMO oils.
The conclusion I take away from the charts is that the TGMO 5W-20 is heavier, not just on start-up but also at operating temp's.

Originally Posted By: Bruce T
Two reasons to chose 5W-20 over 0W-20:

1. You can't afford the slightly more expensive 0W-20 oil.

Slightly? The only non-dealer 0W-20 around here is Pennzoil Platinum and it's $10 a liter! Good 5W-20s can be had for $3 a liter in the larger jugs, and as low as $2.50 a liter at times.

But yeah, assuming warranty hassles aren't a concern, I'd never buy any 5W oils if I could get 0W oils meeting the same specs for about the same price. 5W is obsolete if it costs the same as a 0W, all else being equal.

This discussion has gotten me to thinking about GM Dexos oils. Is there any 0W-30 that is Dexos approved? Also, how does AC-Delco syn blend 0w-20 compare to say the Toyota Ow-20? I thought Ow-20's were almost all synthetic, not just a syn blend.

Unless your vehicle is operated in a REALLY cold climate, 5W-20 and 0W-20 are the same as far as your engine is concerned.

To the OP:

I would use a good quality synthetic in the viscosity the manufacturer recommends. Mobil 1 makes their Extended Performance in both 0W-20 and 5W-20. Just use what the manufacturer wants and be happy.

Kitacam calls for 5w-30 but I got couple of jugs of 5w-20 on sale at Kmart and will just make a blend (3:1) with the 30w stash and not lose any sleep...

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Jasper8146
Is there any 0W-30 that is Dexos approved?

Yes. M1 0w-30 AFE applies, off the top of my head.

Valvoline SynPower DX1 5W-30 is GM DEXOS1. Easy to find here, not sure about your part of the world.

Dang I wish I read this thread earlier. My dad sold his Acura and had 4 jugs of 5W-20 synthetic oil left, but his new car uses 5W-30 so he just gave it away to the new owner. If I had known I can use 5W-20 interchangeably with the 0W-20 that I use, I would of asked for it.

I've been around here for a long time, but I find this to be somewhat perplexing.

Toyota wants their vehicles to use 0w20. If you can't find it, you can use 5w20, but then that must be replaced with 0w20 at the next oil change.

I just bought a 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid, and the preferred oil is 5w20, with 5w30 and 10w30 being approved alternates. No mention is made regarding 0w20.

Both 0w20 and 5w20 should have the same kinematic viscosity at operating temperature and the same HTHS, so what would be the issue?

A 8-9 year old car, use what helps you sleep better at night. If I had 0W20, I could use it in a 5W20 car and sleep well.

Speaking in general terms, 0w20 oils will outperform 5w20 oils. Better base stocks, and often times they meet more specifications. They will have better oil flow at start up as well. No reason to use 5w20 if 0w20 is allowed.

Back