Group Pushes Fair-trade Rules for Lubes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if this has been posted yet...

quote:

An association of businesses and regulators is scheduled to vote next month on a proposal aimed at curbing unfair trade practices in the lubricants industry. Among other things, the changes recommended by the National Conference on Weights and Measures would require warning labels on containers of obsolete engine oils and require transmission fluid marketers to document performance claims.

The proposal has been endorsed by the Independent Lubricant Manufacturers Association and, reportedly, the American Petroleum Institute. Conference representatives said, however, that it may not affect much of the nation, at least for some time.

The National Conference on Weights and Measures includes state-level weights and measurements regulators and industry representatives. Members are scheduled to meet in Pittsburgh in mid-July to consider extending the National Institute of Standards and Technology’s Handbook 130 to cover lubricants.

The handbook, whose full title is Uniform Laws and Regulations in the Areas of Legal Metrology and Engine Fuel Quality, sets standards for aspects such as pricing and packaging for a wide range of commodities. The proposed amendments would become part of one section, Uniform Engine Fuels, Petroleum Products, and Automotive Lubricants Regulation. Despite its name, the section to date has covered only fuels.

The amendments set a number of standards concerning the formulation, packaging and labeling of finished lubricants. For example, labels on motor oil packages would have to display the product’s viscosity grade, and oils would have to meet performance claims as described in a variety of SAE and API specifications.

Packages containing one gallon or less of motor oils that do not meet active API service categories would have to bear cautionary statements included in SAE J183. The statement for API SA oils advises that they contain no additives, are not suited for most vehicles built after 1930 and could damage modern engines. Statements for SB and SC oils say they are not suited for engines built after 1963 and 1967, respectively.

The proposed amendments would also require packagers and blenders of transmission fluids, upon request by state regulators, to provide documentation backing up any performance claims on their product’s label.

ILMA officials said the association supports the changes because they would help promote fair trade practices in the lubricant market. They noted that ILMA has an ongoing campaign this year to encourage members to act ethically, for example, in ensuring that their products meet standards requirements and performance claims.

“This [proposal] provides a level of enforcement that the industry does not have now,” Executive Director Celeste M. Powers said. “It goes along with the themes we’ve been promoting of high ethics and taking the high road.”

The association’s legal counsel Jeffrey L. Leiter added, “We’ve had complaint after complaint from our members about cheating – complaints that companies were making misrepresentations about the additives in their products, that they were shorting additives or even that their products had no additives. We’ve told people that they can bring a complaint to the ethics committee, but folks generally seem reluctant to do that.”

In fact, the rules being proposed by the conference are already law in a few states, including California. The amendments were drafted by the conference’s Laws and Regulations Committee, which is headed by Dennis Johannes, of California’s Division of Measurement Standards.

“Obviously California thinks this is a good idea because we’ve already adopted it,” Johannes told Lube Report. “[Incorporating lubricants into Handbook 130] is something we’re doing for other states and because we think it’s good to have uniformity.”

Although NIST is part of the U.S. Department of Commerce, rules in Handbook 130 do not carry the weight of law except in states that adopt them. Some states adopt sections of the handbook by reference. In those that do so with the regulation on fuels, petroleum products and automotive lubricants, the proposed amendments would become law next January, assuming the conference votes to adopt them next month.

Other states vote from time to time to specifically adopt sections of the handbook, whenever new rules are brought to the legislature’s attention. Still others use the handbook as a starting point for writing their own regulations, while some ignore its rules altogether.

“Really, I wouldn’t expect to see much immediate change,” Johannes said. “Some of those that adopt the section by reference have already adopted these rules on their own. Other states will make changes as problems arise that they want to address.”

A spokeswoman for NIST, which serves as administrator for the conference, noted that the regulation on fuels, petroleum products and automotive lubricants has been relatively slow to spread across the country.

“That is one of the regulations that states approach most cautiously,” said Kathryn M. Dresser, coordinator of the institute’s Laws and Metric Group. “Very few adopt it by reference. Most track it and will generally incorporate parts, if not all of it, into their own laws. But that is a process that occurs over time.”

A hearing on the lubricants proposal is scheduled for July 12 at the conference’s meeting in Pittsburgh. A vote is scheduled for two days later. The proposed changes may be viewed online at http://ts.nist.gov/ts/htdocs/230/235/pub16-04.htm

http://www.lubereport.com/e_article000276369.cfm?x=b3hgqJ2,b1krHr2m

quote:

...Packages containing one gallon or less of motor oils that do not meet active API service categories would have to bear cautionary statements included in SAE J183. The statement for API SA oils advises that they contain no additives, are not suited for most vehicles built after 1930 and could damage modern engines. Statements for SB and SC oils say they are not suited for engines built after 1963 and 1967, respectively...

Most packaging labels I have seen lately already contain these warnings, so industry has already reacted. You can't force ignorant people to NOT use these oils even if they are already marked properly.

I am simply wary of anything modeled after by California regulations, or government regulations in general.

What next, showing your ID to the clerk at the 711
forcing the clerk has to make a determination of whether to sell you SH oil for your '84 clunker?

Most of the obsolete oils are produced by the ILMA and they have reacted to the criticism. Let the free Market determine acceptance or rejection.

Insurance companies, lawyers and goverment regulations are strangling innovation and industry in general, and small business in particular.

Sorry about the delayed response.

That nondetergent SA oil is sold all over the place out my way in SAE 30 and sometimes SAE 40. Just about every little convenience and grocery store has it. Warren seems to be the big offender, but there are other brands. Little or none of it has any visible warning labels, and at best the bottle might have a token mention in fine print on the back about not using it in newer engines or vehicles.

Needless to say, it's obvious that many drivers who don't know better or don't care are buying this crap and are damaging their engines with it. Another current thread mentions a claim that one car dealer told of seeing at least a dozen vehicles with engine damage from running SA oil. This is a real issue. Even my generally savvy stepfather accidentally got some SA oil to throw in our old '72 Ford truck, which called for SAE 30. He was looking for the proper viscosity and didn't realize that he had picked up nondetergent oil. (He realized his error when the truck began running funny.)

What seems to be happening is that the two-bit outfits that make this stuff require the stores to take it as part of a normal shipment with other grades and viscosities. The manufacturers ship so many cases, the nondetergent SA oil is in one or more of those cases, and the stores put the crap on their shelves, thanks to order and stocking personnel who don't know any better.

For some time I have advocated banning over-the-counter sales of nondetergent oil packaged for automotive use. That's right: a ban. Mail-order outfits could be allowed to sell it to owners of antique vehicles and engines that use this oil. Other applications such as compressors would still be able to use it, as long as it is sold in such a way as to make it clear that it is not to be used in motor vehicles. I'm also all for the labeling requirements on other, obsolete SAE grades.

This isn't "hamstringing businesses". It's protecting the consumer by prohibiting snake oil. But maybe we oil nuts on BITOG are the only ones who really understand this whole issue anyway.

quote:

Needless to say, it's obvious that many drivers who don't know better or don't care are buying this crap and are damaging their engines with it. Another current thread mentions a claim that one car dealer told of seeing at least a dozen vehicles with engine damage from running SA oil. This is a real issue. Even my generally savvy stepfather accidentally got some SA oil to throw in our old '72 Ford truck, which called for SAE 30. He was looking for the proper viscosity and didn't realize that he had picked up nondetergent oil. (He realized his error when the truck began running funny.)

What seems to be happening is that the two-bit outfits that make this stuff require the stores to take it as part of a normal shipment with other grades and viscosities. The manufacturers ship so many cases, the nondetergent SA oil is in one or more of those cases, and the stores put the crap on their shelves, thanks to order and stocking personnel who don't know any better.

For some time I have advocated banning over-the-counter sales of nondetergent oil packaged for automotive use. That's right: a ban. Mail-order outfits could be allowed to sell it to owners of antique vehicles and engines that use this oil. Other applications such as compressors would still be able to use it, as long as it is sold in such a way as to make it clear that it is not to be used in motor vehicles. I'm also all for the labeling requirements on other, obsolete SAE grades.

This isn't "hamstringing businesses".

Did your "normally savy" relative read the label before purchasing?

quote:

Mail-order outfits could be allowed to sell it to owners of antique vehicles and engines that use this oil.

And how is the business supposed to know or validate that he is selling to a classic car owner unless the government requires him (government intervention and hamstringing business) to fill out some form each time for verification? How will the internet business KNOW the request is valid? Do you have the internet business send the requester a form to fill out and then have him return the form before shipment?

I am all for truth in labeling, and have seen new labels stating same, as stated in the earlier post, so businesses ARE making the change.

It's only "crap" if the product is misused.

Penalizing and overregulating businesses to account for pure ignorance or indifference is NOT not a valid solution to the problem. Educating the public IS a solution. But you cannot legislate out "Darwin Awards."

Want to know why product costs are so high today?

1. Goverment Regulation
2. Insurance costs and frivilous Litigation
3. Taxation.

The three points above are always introduced by some form of Government intervention in the capitalist system.

[ July 20, 2004, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

We are in total agreement about labeling, and as I have stated previously, manufacturers ARE changing labels after being criticized for not labeling properly. Let the manufacturers react to the market and public pressure.

I really don't think the Independent Oil dealers and manufacturers are explicitly trying to mislead the public anymore than potato chip manufactruers or McDonalds were. The public is purchasing this stuff out of ignorance or economic necessity. Let me give you an observation of the latter:

I was at the Shell/Texaco station the other day and a young lady came in with what I assumed was her baby daughter. Now this part of town is considered to be on the underbelly in terms of the economic ladder. She came in and purchased a soda and some chips, picked up a quart of oil (SA/SB) and headed out the door about the same time as I. Being the sucker I am for baby girls, (I have a 1-year old granddaughter myself), I gave the little girl a piece of candy (with the permission of her mom) and I said to her mom, "do you realize that oil is substandard and may not be good for your car?"

She pointed to her car (small blue/black something or other, flaked paint, etc) and said, "This stuff and that car is all that I can afford, cheap oil or not." I traded her a quart of the No-Name stuff for Mobil 1 10W30 with the excuse I could use the ND stuff on the ranch.

quote:

Actually, I would think that with today's litigiousness a retail business could in theory be held liable for a customer's engine damage from selling this oil. I don't like it, but it's a real possibility.

Now do think this economic level of person gives a flying SA about Warren's General Liability Insurance or engine warranty?

Now, I can just see you and government regulators on one side and the ACLU on the other side saying. "But you're producing a situation which puts certain economic groups at a disadvantage."

Now, are you going to also regulate the soft drink and chip industry and make them responsible for the wellbeing and dietary intake of the lower economic parts of our society as well?

Here is another fact you should know. Convienience stores, Dollar Stores, etc specifiy the labelling for the products they sell. Let's assume XYZ is bottling the oil for them. WPP is still liable for the oil's perfromance as labeled, but not for a customers improper use of the product.

Better labeling yes, more government regulations, no.

quote:

Most of the obsolete oils are produced by the ILMA and they have reacted to the criticism. Let the free Market determine acceptance or rejection.

Insurance companies, lawyers and goverment regulations are strangling innovation and industry in general, and small business in particular.

Regarding ND oils in particular (as I have stated elsehwere as a result of testing), many API rated SD/SB ND oils have higher levels of Anti-Wear and anti-foaming agents than do some SL oils. The only components missing are the Detergent/Dispersant agents.

[ July 22, 2004, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Regarding warning labels carried to absurd extreme (these are actual warning labels):

Warning on a baby carriage - Remove child before folding. Duh!

Warning on a Carpenter's router - Do not use this tool as a dental drill. Huh?

Warning on a 12" high plastic CD storage cabinet: Do not use this cabinet as a step ladder. Hmm!

Enough!
freak2.gif

MolaKule, the oil in question was an off brand and was marked simply "HD SAE 30 WT" on the front of the bottle. No API rating given on the front; "Meets SA" and "nondetergent" in tiny print on the back. Someone in a hurry to get in and out of the local store who needed a quart or two to top up would not have thought of the possiblity that this oil was no good. Again, he was concerned enough to match the viscosity. In a hurry I might have made the same mistake, especially seeing "HD" on it. Yeah, "HD" (heavy duty) is basically meaningless, but it at least implies meeting a recent API spec. It doesn't imply nondetergent.

You and I are in agreement on the costs of litigation, regulation, and taxation, as well as on the need for consumer education. Total agreement. But something like this obsolete-spec oil that does far more harm than good and misleads consumers is a different story. Far more of this oil is sold than the true market for it justifies, and just to check, I swung by a couple of local convenience stores. Plenty of the nondetergent SA stuff on the shelf, and absolutely no warning labels on the fronts of the bottles. Actually, I would think that with today's litigiousness a retail business could in theory be held liable for a customer's engine damage from selling this oil. I don't like it, but it's a real possibility.

My point is that the businesses probably don't even realize they're carrying this stuff and how bad it is, and they wouldn't miss it if its sale were restricted. They would simply buy more of the proper current grades of oil to stock their shelves.

To say that the consumer has to bear the blame all the time and manufacturers and businesses should be free to sell whatever they want without consequence, which is what you seem to be advocating (I hope I'm wrong), is comparable to advocating selling opium-laced elixirs over the counter for parents to give children for teething pain--with nothing warning of opium content, addictive properties, etc. That used to be allowed, too.

But I guess I would settle for a big warning label on the SA oil. And I think someone needs to question Warren and the other manufacturers about why they produce and sell so much of it when it leaves them and their retailers potentially liable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back