Fram ULTRA oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spied one in my WM today. Only one part number. This is a cartridge filter I think (couldnt open the box [taped shut]). It has the same filter media (cellulose, synth, wire backed) as the Extended Guard line. Too bad I have nothing that uses cartridge. Sorry no pics, just wanted to be first to say, I saw it!

Hummm ... wire backed cartridge filter? Anyone else doing that?

Originally Posted By: hisilver
Spied one in my WM today. Only one part number. This is a cartridge filter I think (couldnt open the box [taped shut]). It has the same filter media (cellulose, synth, wire backed) as the Extended Guard line. Too bad I have nothing that uses cartridge. Sorry no pics, just wanted to be first to say, I saw it!

LOL....Nice!

Wix told me that there will be a Platinum 57082 for the Ecotec and Amsoil lists an EaO as well.

Sorry no pics, just wanted to be first to say, I saw it!

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2555004#Post2555004

smile.gif

Where does it say the filter media is cellulose/synth?

I bought a Fram Ultra XG2 yesterday and installed it thinking it was just a new name for the Xtended Guard filters since the numbering is the same. Am I wrong? Is the Ultra a different filter. They claim they are good for up to 15,000 miles. It was $8.97.

OK, now I found FRAM Ultra this earlier thread announcing this change. I should have photographed the box and the filter before I put it on--didn't realize this was such a recent change. My WM still has both Xtended Guards and Ultras on the shelves. Anyone know if they changed anything other than the name?

Ultra
99% dirt-trapping efficiency
Up to 15,000 miles of engine protection
Dual-layered synthetic and cellulose filter media
Durable metal screen
Optimized for synthetic and conventional oils
Improved nitrile and silicone gaskets

Xtended Guard
Specially engineered filtering media arranged in two plies and reinforced with a metal screen to deliver up to 10,000 miles of engine protection.1
Traps and holds more than double the dirt of leading economy oil filter brands' average.2
97% Dirt Trapping Efficiency2
Silicone anti-drainback valve holds a reserve of oil in the filter to help protect the engine during start-ups

fram

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Ultra

Wonder if that's at 20 microns. Their info is somewhat limited on the Ultra, and they still show the Xtended Gaurd also.

$8.97, nice. Textured grip, nice.

Sorry Amsoil, after 3 more Eao's...it's this or new Purolater for me!

One slick thing about the Ultra is they included an oil change reminder window sticker on the inside of the top cover of the box. Convenient.

Ultra

Optimized for synthetic and conventional oils
Improved nitrile and silicone gaskets

Marketing at it's best!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Ultra

Wonder if that's at 20 microns. Their info is somewhat limited on the Ultra, and they still show the Xtended Gaurd also.
That would be nice to know.I have a Nissan and Toyota that use two of the small filters that Purolator rates @40 microns.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
One slick thing about the Ultra is they included an oil change reminder window sticker on the inside of the top cover of the box. Convenient.

You can get as many reminder stickers from Advance Auto free when you purchase oil and filter.

Somehow I get the impression anyone buying these filters will couple it with Quaker State synthetic and happily run 15,000 miles+ casually ignorant in their moms Ford Taurus...

"The filter will last 15k miles, its fine, oil doesn't wear out!"

Originally Posted By: Provi
Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor

You can get as many reminder stickers from Advance Auto free when you purchase oil and filter.

I make reminders in my outlook / blackberry task list and include the maintenance history and manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule.

I set a reminder a few weeks before the maintenance is due, giving me time to pick up any required supplies.

I track oil, filter, coolant changes, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, brake fluid changes, air and cabin filters, tire rotations, PEA cleaning.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Somehow I get the impression anyone buying these filters will couple it with Quaker State synthetic and happily run 15,000 miles+ casually ignorant in their moms Ford Taurus...

They need that FRAM high mileage filter. The one with the gel that conditions the oil ...............

Quote:

It is pretty routine in Europe for manufacturers to recommend a 15K oil and filter change routine. The average is probably 10K. I'm pretty sure most new Fords in the US recommend 7500 mile intervals, so 15K with synthetic is probably very realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back