Mazdaspeed6 2.3L DI Turbo Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post and I must say the wealth of knowledge one this forum is amazing! I am searching for some engine oil recommendations for my recently purchased 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 which has a 2.3L DI turbo engine. The car is my daily driver and my driving habits consist of:

1. 5 day commute consists of driving 1.5 miles to son's day care and then 4.5 miles to work; same return route home. Speed below 45 mph.
2. A couple 30 mile freeway trips on Saturday and Sunday. Speed around 80 mph.
3. No track days.
4. Winter temperatures as low as -5 deg F
5. Summer temperatures as high as 100 deg F

Mazda requires an engine oil with a 5W-30 viscosity or higher; vehicle is still under warranty (certified pre-own). I am currently using Mobil 1 5W-30 and conducted oil change at 5000 miles. I know many owners with this engine have been utilizing Rotella T6 5W-40 to combat fuel dilution with promising UOA results. So, my questions are:

1. Is Rotella T6 5W-40 too "heavy" for my use?
2. Is 5k mile OCI too long?
3. What other oils may work better than Mobil 1 5W-30 for my use?

Let the discussion begin.
smile.gif

My best UOAs were off of M1 TDT 5w40 at 4K miles OCI when I had my Speed6. That included 90+F down to -18F.

Last edited:
Welcome to BITOG and thank you for a first topic near and dear to my heart. As you can see below, I have a 2008 with 23,000 that I bought new in June, 2008. I did my first OC at 1250 miles, then every 3,000 miles until 18,800 with conventional PYB. I then switched to PP 5W-30 due to generally favorable results here and on MS3 fanboy pages.

Like you, I have a lot of short trips. Four miles to work plus a trip home for lunch means 4x4 almost every day. I changed that first load of PP at 3300 miles because I didn't like the look and smell of the oil on the dipstick and did a UOA which you can find if you search. The oil had 2.8% fuel, the viscosity of a 20 wt., and a TBN of 2.0. That's an engine and driving routine that's hard on oil.

I originally stockpiled 5W-30 PP and M1 for this engine because they are well regarded oils, match the manufacturer's specified weight and meet the only turbo motor spec I know of, Honda's HTO-06. After seeing what's happening in my engine, I have come to the following conclusions:

1. Unless and until my driving habits change away from so many short trips, this engine is NOT a candidate for extended OCIs, meaning 4-5,000 miles max.
2. Trust your senses when you physically inspect the oil quality on your dipstick. If you don't like what you're seeing, feeling, smelling, change your oil.
3. I will continue to use synthetics in the specified weight. You don't state the total mileage on your car but, Mazda recently extended their warranty coverage on the turbo and cam chain to 70,000 miles with the proviso that no lighter than 5W-30 has been used at the proper change intervals (keep good records).
4. Be sure to use anti-sieze on the 10mm bolts that hold the plastic undertray in place. They corrode and fail quickly in salted roads regions.

Last edited:
I found it in Indianapolis with 61K miles. It was originally a Michigan car though. I love the car. Wish we had more snow this winter to play with the AWD.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Welcome to BITOG and thank you for a first topic near and dear to my heart. As you can see below, I have a 2008 with 23,000 that I bought new in June, 2008. I did my first OC at 1250 miles, then every 3,000 miles until 18,800 with conventional PYB. I then switched to PP 5W-30 due to generally favorable results here and on MS3 fanboy pages.

Like you, I have a lot of short trips. Four miles to work plus a trip home for lunch means 4x4 almost every day. I changed that first load of PP at 3300 miles because I didn't like the look and smell of the oil on the dipstick and did a UOA which you can find if you search. The oil had 2.8% fuel, the viscosity of a 20 wt., and a TBN of 2.0. That's an engine and driving routine that's hard on oil.

I originally stockpiled 5W-30 PP and M1 for this engine because they are well regarded oils, match the manufacturer's specified weight and meet the only turbo motor spec I know of, Honda's HTO-06. After seeing what's happening in my engine, I have come to the following conclusions:

1. Unless and until my driving habits change away from so many short trips, this engine is NOT a candidate for extended OCIs, meaning 4-5,000 miles max.
2. Trust your senses when you physically inspect the oil quality on your dipstick. If you don't like what you're seeing, feeling, smelling, change your oil.
3. I will continue to use synthetics in the specified weight. You don't state the total mileage on your car but, Mazda recently extended their warranty coverage on the turbo and cam chain to 70,000 miles with the proviso that no lighter than 5W-30 has been used at the proper change intervals (keep good records).
4. Be sure to use anti-sieze on the 10mm bolts that hold the plastic undertray in place. They corrode and fail quickly in salted roads regions.

+1. I have a friend with one of these with similar situations.

All he'll run is Motul or Amsoil Euro 5w-40.

I run 5w30 PP in my CX7 and several UOAs demonstrate that it is a very good oil for this engine. PP has a low evaporation rate(forgot the test name) which is good for DI engines. I do 6K oil and filter changes and as stated, my UOAs yield very good wear values. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I run 5w30 PP in my CX7 and several UOAs demonstrate that it is a very good oil for this engine. PP has a low evaporation rate(forgot the test name) which is good for DI engines. I do 6K oil and filter changes and as stated, my UOAs yield very good wear values. Ed

NOACK?

Originally Posted By: hbs06
tpitcher,

Do you happen to know which line of Motul your friend is using? I will have to search for some UOA.

Sure, it was the Motul 300V. He kept tabs on the engine and did prefer the Amsoil over it though.

Everyone thanks for their recommendations. So it looks like M1 5W-30, PP 5W-30 and PU 5W-30 are probably my "better" options. I am surprised not too many people commented on the Rotella T6. I was also looking at Amsoil XL 5W-30 and Euro 5W-30. Would you guys consider using the Amsoil a "waste" since my OCI would be 4-5K to combat fuel dilution?

Amsoil would hold up as good as any. I would use Pennzoil Ultra. The Rotella T6 would be great too.

I would also consider Mobil 1 High Mileage. It's a more shear stable oil and has SL level ZDP. Higher detergent levels too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back