Funnel or no funnel for filling oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rcy
Originally Posted By: yonyon

Now, as we all know, oil is pretty easy stuff to pour without making a mess compared to something like fizzy beverages or flaming Dentyne chewing gum,

What??
shocked.gif

I know eh i had to read it a couple times and im still scratching my head.

I use a funnel cause i keep my engines pretty clean. The ford has a push bar on the front bumper so it sticks out more and you need 4' long arms just to reach the cap. And the versa Well i dont know i havent put oil in it yet. I will use a funnel for that one as well. My camaro needs a funnel cause the valve cover is at an angle so its a pain.

My work stuff i need funnels cause you have to pour in soooo much oil. None of them really use too much oil with their pretty short OCI's to put any in before the next change.

I've always used a funnel. The first o/c I did at my house I saved one of the empty quart bottles of oil to store the funnel so it could drip into it. Now almost 18 years later there is quite a mix of brands and weights in that quart bottle. Also I don't clean my funnel as much as I should, never thought much about it, until now!

Last edited:
I always use a funnel, which makes it much easier to pour the oil in, as well as to decant the drain oil from your drain pan.
The secret is to buy Just use a new funnel for each oil change.

Well, it is very difficult to pour with any sort of precision.
Originally Posted By: rcy
Originally Posted By: yonyon

Now, as we all know, oil is pretty easy stuff to pour without making a mess compared to something like fizzy beverages or flaming Dentyne chewing gum,

What??
shocked.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
I cut a water bottle or 2 liter soda bottle in half and use it. After I have filled the engine with clean oil, I use it to dump the used oil into my recycling bottle...then it goes in the trash.
Ditto....

I always use a funnel. I have one just for oil changes. After use, I clean it till its like new clean. Then I drain the oil from my pan into a couple old milk jugs. I then proceed to clean the drain pan till its spotless. I know...OCD!!
The used oil in the milk jug then goes into a plastic grocery bag and off to AAP for recycling.

I use the top of a 2 liter bottle for a funnel.

When I was younger a bunch of us guys (5) were doing an oil change on one of our cars. It has a 1970ish Chevy with the oil filler on the valve cover. Nobody had a funnel, so we came up with the idea that if we slowly poured the contents of a 5qt jug into the hole, we wouldn't spill any. Everyone tried and everyone spilled the oil. I think 2 qts went in the engine and 3 qts went on the engine. I also remember alcohol being involved. The care smoked and stunk for 6 months.

I like a clean engine, so always use a funnel no matter the car. The funnel is ghetto-customized - I used an exacto knife to cut it to be shorter and thereby widen the mouth, so it fits somewhat snugly into the engine's filler hole. I wipe it off first with a piece (maybe 1/4) of a paper towel.

I'll attest that funnels are the bane of my existance.

I like them, but I need one I can clean with a rag because the one I have has funny kinks like a bendy straw that makes it impossible to properly clean. The old oil within it I don't mind, its mostly the bits of peat moss and fertilizer and whatever else manages to shuffle off the bench into it, sticking instantly to any oils inside it, that gets old fast.

A simple funnel trick. When finished, wipe the inside with a paper towel and wad it into the snout from the inside. Then invert the funnel when storing it.

Any oil will be absorbed into the PT and the funnel will be clean as a whistle when you need it.

I always use a funnel now. First oil change I ever did I didn't use a funnel, and it was a mistake. I used so many paper towels trying to clean up the mess. The funnel I have fits perfectly into the oil fill holes of our cars.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
A simple funnel trick. When finished, wipe the inside with a paper towel and wad it into the snout from the inside. Then invert the funnel when storing it.

Any oil will be absorbed into the PT and the funnel will be clean as a whistle when you need it.

This has always worked for me.

Even years ago I used a funnel. When oil was in cans and we had to punture the can with the oil spout(that leaked most of the time any way), I used a funnel! Or when the oil started to pour out of the spouts nose just before getting to the fill hole in the valve cover. I asked myself, "why am I screwing around"?

Then I started opening the cans of oil with a puncture type can/bottle opener(the ones used for soda cans before Pull Tabs) as the oil puncture & spout was just too hard to use IMHO without getting oil all over the valve cover. I'd Poke a couple of triangle holes in 2 spots atop the can and poured the oil through the funnel.

Today, I still use a funnel with the 1 qt. plastic bottles or 5 qt. jugs. Sooooo Much Easier!(minus the can/bottle opener)
smile.gif

Now that I think of it, I still have some of those ole' oil puncture/spouts lying around in the bottom of my roll'round tool storage cabinent along with some ole' can/bottle openers with the names of breweries stamped in'em!

Both of these items, as-far-as I can remember, go back to the '50s or earlier!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
alway storage it on a plastic bag.

Same here. I always wash mine when I`m through with it and store it in a plastic bag till next time.

wow, my BITOG induced OCD must be healing. I use the same funnel for pretty much everything.

- filling my little MMO bottles
- filling the cars with oil
- draining old oil out of catch pan into empty jug
- filling my citronella torches with fuel
- filling my camping stove with coleman fuel
- etc...

I simply wipe it down before each use with a cloth, and be sure to thread the cloth through the hole and pull it out the other side. That's it. If there's dirt, that's what an oil filter is for.

Good idea.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I always use a funnel, which makes it much easier to pour the oil in, as well as to decant the drain oil from your drain pan.

That sounds pretty wasteful IMO. I know people who change their oil frequently and would go through a lot of funnels. Buying a decent one and keeping it clean seems like a better idea.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

That sounds pretty wasteful IMO. I know people who change their oil frequently and would go through a lot of funnels. Buying a decent one and keeping it clean seems like a better idea.

Agree. Throwing away funnels! I thought I was a bit different having 5 different funnels for different fluids, but I would definetly be going through a lot of those if I threw them away. Hey!! donate them to your local mechanic--I'll bet he would take them.....

97 Prk. Ave.-5-30 QSGB and Wix filter
91 Dakota 4x4-5-30 QSGB and Wix filter
03 Corolla-5-30 QSUD and Wix filter

You guys are all BITOG nuts. One funnel, clean it quickly with shop towels (lint free) and chill LOL

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
I always use a funnel now. First oil change I ever did I didn't use a funnel, and it was a mistake. I used so many paper towels trying to clean up the mess. The funnel I have fits perfectly into the oil fill holes of our cars.

This has always worked for me.

Same here. Another reason I confidently has used the same quality funnel for topping off the radiator with coolant/anti-freeze and wipe/wipe; insert and invert over perhaps another absorbent towel and g2g.

Now, I won't get to share oil and coolant/anti-freeze in one funnel. I've got a Lisle coolant spill-free kit from Amazon for that from now on!
laugh.gif

...but yes, 1 shop towel. Insert then invert, works every time. Also I put it through enough that I can wipe the rim of the base of oil residue before leaving to soak whatever else sits inside the funnel.

Originally Posted By: webfors
You guys are all BITOG nuts. One funnel, clean it quickly with shop towels (lint free) and chill LOL

The irony is strong with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back