Funnel or no funnel for filling oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first time I changed a car's oil I was, luckily, under adult supervision. May dad told me to use a funnel so as not to spill the oil and leave a mess. So many years later when I was old enough to have a car of my own I realised (with questionable judgement) that wiping the funnel doesn't get all the [censoreds] out so I took to spraying the funnel through with canned brake parts cleaner before using it.

Now, as we all know, oil is pretty easy stuff to pour without making a mess compared to something like fizzy beverages or flaming Dentyne chewing gum, so the funnel isn't really necessary. When the can of brake parts cleaner ran out I stopped using the funnel. These days, if someone brings a funnel near me or even says the word "funnel" while I'm pouring oil my hands shake and I end up making a terrible mess. This probably is just a normal part of being a crazy person, but I'm okay with that.

Do you use a funnel? If you do use one, how do you clean it? Does use of an unclean funnel really matter at all?

depend on the car...

a 2006 ford freestar for example is recessed below the top of the engine and has a hose going over it.

MUST USE FUNNEL.

2010 hyundai accent.. easy to pour except the retarded engine cover has a hole behind the fill hole so if you spill it goes on a bad spot.

you are badly OCD with your funnel though.. I just wipe mine out with a dirty microfiber cloth.. 99.9 of dirt is out.. and it dont bother me... or store in a grocery plastic bag.

Last edited:
i use a funnel and wipe it off every time before an oil change with a clean rag or towel. not worried about tiny pieces of dust possibly getting into the engine.

no funnel needed on the Volvo, just pour slow. If i get a bottle of oil with a small enough top i can pour into the Grand Marquis with no funnel.

I use a funnel, wipe it with a lint free cloth and store it in a plastic bag. I'd make a mess adding oil w/o a funnel, especially to my E-150.

I cut a water bottle or 2 liter soda bottle in half and use it. After I have filled the engine with clean oil, I use it to dump the used oil into my recycling bottle...then it goes in the trash.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I cut a water bottle or 2 liter soda bottle in half and use it. After I have filled the engine with clean oil, I use it to dump the used oil into my recycling bottle...then it goes in the trash.

+1, but only water bottle, they are cleaner and no sugary leftovers

Do you use all quarts? If you can hold a 5 quart jug and get all the oil in without spilling... well... maybe I need to practice more?

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Do you use all quarts? If you can hold a 5 quart jug and get all the oil in without spilling... well... maybe I need to practice more?

Pour slowly and from greater height unless the wind is gusting.

Added:
Pumping the first quart into a quart bottle makes the jug easier on cars with an inconvenient oil fill. Maybe I should try the "store funnel in a plastic bag" approach.

Last edited:
I used to fool with not using a funnel; but I use one every time now. It's "cheap insurance", heh. Really I've spilled oil on the engine/exhaust too many times not to use one. It's the clumsy in me.

I have to with the Jag, the filler neck is small. On my GTO I do when I change to make it easier, but if I just top off it isn't hard to do without a funnel.

I use one on both our cars. I could probably just poor in on the Jag as it's easy to fill but the MDX not only requires a funnel but the right funnel. The one I had wasn't long enough and ended up spilling about a half a quart before I realized it. The MDX fill is at a strange angle and down partially obscured by the radiator/fan shroud.

Years ago, pouring oil was a pain. YOU NEEDED TO PUNCTURE THE CAN WITH A CAN OPENER THEN USE A FUNNEL OR A CAN OPENING SPOUT. THEN (forgive the caps lock) they had bottles with the spout in the center... still needed a funnel on most applications. Now a days it is rare that the application needs a funnel given the off center spouts.

Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
I use one on both our cars. I could probably just poor in on the Jag as it's easy to fill but the MDX not only requires a funnel but the right funnel. The one I had wasn't long enough and ended up spilling about a half a quart before I realized it. The MDX fill is at a strange angle and down partially obscured by the radiator/fan shroud.

Whats an MDX?

Originally Posted By: johnachak
Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex

Whats an MDX?

2012+Acura+MDX.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back