98 Pontiac Sunfire wont start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove the car home from work last night with out any problems.
I went to leave this morning and it would crank hit and die. I tryed to start it again and it just cranks. I have also notice none of the dash lights come on when you turn the key to on.

What cause this?

Originally Posted By: crazycrak
I drove the car home from work last night with out any problems.
I went to leave this morning and it would crank hit and die. I tryed to start it again and it just cranks. I have also notice none of the dash lights come on when you turn the key to on.

What cause this?

Bad ground some where? Did you try a jump start or check the battery?

Check the fuses, pull a plug and check for spark. All the basic troubleshooting procedures. Not enough info for anyone here to make a suggestion.

As HerrStig mentioned, check your fuses too. Because no dash lights are what`s a little puzzling.

Last edited:
Yeah Ill check them. Just noticed if you turn the key off and back on it will hit and run for a sec. but if you try to start it without turning it off and back on it just cranks.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Check the fuses, pull a plug and check for spark. All the basic troubleshooting procedures. Not enough info for anyone here to make a suggestion.

X2. Check for spark, and see if fuel is getting to the rail. There should be a Schrader valve (like on a tire) on the fuel rail. If fuel sprays out when you press it down, the engine is getting fuel. Be careful checking. Can you hear the fuel pump come on when you turn the key to on?

Sounds like a fuel issue at first like a dead fuel pump or tripped fuel shutoff, but the lack of dash lights indicates some sort of electrical issue.

I'm guessing a '98 Sunfire doesn't have a chipped key or any sort of passive anti-theft?

I would say you have a fuel or ignition system problem but then you say there's no dash lights.

I think this year car has a form of passlock security but instead of body control module there is a module in the instrument cluster. The passlock allows starter operation but disables the injectors. You should first try checking the fuses.

In case this isn't the issue, listen for the fuel pump to come on and check for spark.

Can hear the fuel pump kick on Im gonna check the fuel pressure. The fuses I have check have been good.

How does the passlock system work?

Looked up passlock on google and it listed two diffrent rests for passlock 1. The first was try to start the car and leave the key on for 10 mins. That didn't work but the 2nd way did: Turn key on and off 10 times and start car.

I turned the switch on and off 10 times the dash lights came on and the car started right up.

I guess there was a reason I wasn't suppose to go to work today.

Originally Posted By: crazycrak
Looked up passlock on google and it listed two diffrent rests for passlock 1. The first was try to start the car and leave the key on for 10 mins. That didn't work but the 2nd way did: Turn key on and off 10 times and start car.

I turned the switch on and off 10 times the dash lights came on and the car started right up.

I guess there was a reason I wasn't suppose to go to work today.

That almost the way you would get codes from Chrysler`s back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back