vw 1.8L turbo high oil pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told by the VW dealership, after $420, that my engine has high oil pressure. Engine starts, stalls and will not restart. Turns over like there is no compression. Dealership said lifters are overpressurized and keeping valves open. Once it starts it runs and starts great. Cleaned the oil filter housing and oil pump check valves but still have problem. Sometimes I can pump the throttle just right at startup and feather it to run

Is it sludged? I never heard of a high oil pressure problem before so don't know what the cause could be other than sludge causing blockages after the oil pressure gauge. If the blockage was before the gauge, the oil pressure would be low.

Was $420 for diagnosis ? If so that is way high unless they disassembled the engine and I wouldn't think that they would have to do that.

What did they recommend you do?

Corvettes sometimes show high oil pressure, but it's usually due to a bad oil pressure sensor. In this case it even reads high with the ignition on and the engine off.

Last edited:
The dealership had the car a week and said they spent nearly 10 hours on it, and because they could not fix or properly diagnose the problem split the cost. Has new VW oil and filter 30 days ago

Originally Posted By: D_Boyd
The dealership had the car a week and said they spent nearly 10 hours on it, and because they could not fix or properly diagnose the problem split the cost. Has new VW oil and filter 30 days ago

The dealership gave up ?! Never heard that, they say that they can't fix it ? I would complain to Regional VW Service.

Too much oil in the sump and a wet throttle body? Leaking seal in the turbo? Adaptives somehow way out of line? Volksweasels are weird. Sometimes they don't like what you ate for lunch. A VW tech at the dealership really ought to have figured out what is going on by the time the bill got that high. Some problems are tough to pinpoint.

Disconnect the battery for a day and make sure the oil isn't overfilled and the turbo hoses aren't oily or soft. Then go find a VW mechanic who actually knows something about VWs.

Thats gotta be the oil pump byass (relief) valve stuck closed. Cant think if anything else. IT will regulate max pressue regardless of sludge blockages. Now tell me VW doesnt have a bypass?

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Was $420 for diagnosis ? If so that is way high unless they disassembled the engine and I wouldn't think that they would have to do that.

What did they recommend you do?

Corvettes sometimes show high oil pressure, but it's usually due to a bad oil pressure sensor. In this case it even reads high with the ignition on and the engine off.

This was my first thought. Common issue on all LSx GM V8s. I run an aftermarket gauge for this reason so that if it does go batty I don't have to freak out and tow it if it's just a sensor failure.

I wonder if the warning on the OP's car is designed to cut the engine off and that's actually the reason.

I removed the oil pan and oil pump and cleaned the check/relief valve. The bottom of the engine was mostly clean and the oil pan had only a little sludge. I did an oil change with LUBRO MOLY 5W-30 synthetic and a new filter about 30 days ago The car had a "Starting" problem when I purchased it in February. It's been to a local, and highly regarded VW mechanic and the dealership.

Last edited:
I like ARCOgraphite's thought. It's a nice simple thing that jives with what the dealer found. A clean valve isn't necessarily going to always work. Does it rely on a round piston moving smoothly in a bore? If so, is it still round?

Last edited:
Lifters having so much oil pressure that they overcome valve spring pressure?
Maybe in some odd design, but this is extremely rare, if it is indeed the case here.

Rare today, perhaps. Not rare in my '57 Ponitac engine (in a '55 car) at around 5800 rpm. Oil which was supposed to escape through the rocker arm studs backed up at high rpm and "floated the lifters," or so it was called at the time. Judicious use of a small drill bit, however, relieved the pressure buildup and allowed all the rpm needed. Modifications to the valve body in the Hydromatic transmission allowed for manual shifting, holding a gear to over 6500 rpm. Breathing enhancements allowed for such. 3.90 axle (stock was 3.08), Atlas Bucron tires (almost slicks)and it would put two car lengths on the guys fighting clutches and wheelspin before they knew what hit them. I still have the trophies on the shelf in my garage......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back