best choke for skeet shooting? (mossberg 500)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Mossy that has a full, mod, and imp cyl choke tubes. I shot some on Saturday and it had the full choke installed. I did not have the others with me. Which one would you recommend I install for next time? We are just using one of the spring arm $29.99 ground mount throwers.

Improved Cylinder is the best one out of what you already have. The have another one called "Skeet" which is a little bigger.

.000 Cylinder
.005 Skeet
.010 Improved Cylinder
.015 Light Modified
.020 Modified
.025 Improved Modified
.030 Light Full
.035 Full
.045 Extra Full
.050 Super Full

look ate the choke section here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun

Were you shooting real skeet (the game), or were you just shooting trap, or sporting clays?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeet_shooting

I/C is your best choice. Its what I use in my mossberg. I've never been able to tell a difference in my hit percentage with skeet choke vs. I/C personally.

With your "ground mount thrower" are you really shooting the clay bird game properly named "Skeet"? I think that term fooled some responders.

If you are just shooting casual clay birds thrown away from the shooter you are not truly shooting "Skeet". You may not want that IC choke.

Your game is more like TRAP, and you may want a modified choke if your thrower has a pretty good speed to the clay bird.

I typically shoot skeet with an IC. For trap and sporting clays, a mod.

It costs nothing to screw chokes in and out. Shoot a few clays, get a feel for the choke, then switch. See which one you like best.

For casually shooting clays from my thrower, I always use the tightest choke possible. It is more challenging and helps hone my skill for hunting season. So I rarely use anything but full or modified.

Size of shot is also important. Shot size and choke go hand in hand. For clay targets most shoot 7 1/2 to 9 shot. The larger shot will travel farther but not as many pellets for a solid pattern. You need to put up a piece of cardboard, pace off the distance you are shooting and try different shot and choke combinations. You will dial that Mossberg right in for your clay target shooting.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back