Shell Rotella T for motorcycles question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I was looking for oil for my Honda CBR 125 motorcycle and could not find anything but the Shell Rotella T Tripple Protection Heavy Duty Engine oil which was not "energy conserving" or "resource conserving".
It is SAE 10w30 API service CJ-4/SM with nothing on the bottom in the resurce conserving area.
Is this safe to use with my motorcycle? My first summer out and i really dont want to screw it up already.
smile.gif

Thank you for all replies!
matt

It is if your bike specs a 10w30, which I am betting it probably does not. Otherwise, I would say its too thin. Many people have used Mobil delvac 1300 in 15w40 in wet clutch bikes with good luck.

I used a variety of oils in my 125R, there are some UOA results in the motorcycle specific UOA section on here. Honda does spec a 10W30 for the 125R, but I used mostly xW40 in mine. There's no oil filter, only that strainer screen, so whatever you use change it often. I would probably go with Shell Rotella T 15W40 myself...

I had a [censored] of a time finding the oil i mentioned above. Im wondering if at this point its safe to use what id bought or if i should return it.

Thanks for your replies.

Rotella T6, 5W40, is fully synthetic and JASO MA rated. It is on sale for $19.99 at AutoZone right now for a gallon (4 quarts). I'd say get the jug and change it often.

Originally Posted By: matt1234
Hello everyone,

I was looking for oil for my Honda CBR 125 motorcycle and could not find anything but the Shell Rotella T Tripple Protection Heavy Duty Engine oil which was not "energy conserving" or "resource conserving".
It is SAE 10w30 API service CJ-4/SM with nothing on the bottom in the resurce conserving area.
Is this safe to use with my motorcycle? My first summer out and i really dont want to screw it up already.
smile.gif

Thank you for all replies!
matt

Can anyone suggest if the oil I have is ok?

Thank you.

Honestly, if it were me with my old 125 I would use it, but then I would get an easier to acquire oil for the next time. If you are worried about warranty you are also allowed to use 10W40. If you're out of warranty, a 15W40 HDEO would be fine.

I would also change it more frequently than Honda specs in the maintenance schedule (no real oil filter).

10W30 is spec for the GL1800 I ride and I've used the Rotella 10W30 for around 20,000 miles. It works fine. 15W40 works fine too, but 15W is no good in cold weather. 5Wxx I will not use simply from that 5W designation. You'll be fine with the 10W30 Rotella.

With your location, i'd run Rotella T 15w40 or T6 5w40 in the Summer and Rotella 10w30 in cooler weather. Can't go wrong with either oil there. Of course Ron's Goldwing is liquid cooled, so different critter there.

But then - a 5w40 is only a 5 when the oil is cold (flows easy). It's still a 40 when hot so I really don't understand Ron's comment in his post above.
21.gif
21.gif

I run a steady diet of Rotella T6 in my little Honda during the spring/summer/fall months, and whatever 5w30 I have handy in cooler weather. But then, mine has a CVT (no wet clutch) so it doesn't care what oil I put in it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: anklebiter
With your location, i'd run Rotella T 15w40 or T6 5w40 in the Summer and Rotella 10w30 in cooler weather.

You would run a 10W oil OVER a 5W oil in the winter? A thicker oil at startup in cold weather?

I would run the 5W-40 T6 year round!

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Originally Posted By: anklebiter
With your location, i'd run Rotella T 15w40 or T6 5w40 in the Summer and Rotella 10w30 in cooler weather.

You would run a 10W oil OVER a 5W oil in the winter? A thicker oil at startup in cold weather?

I would run the 5W-40 T6 year round!

A 10W-30 I believe is thinner at startup than a 5W-40, but I may be wrong on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back