How are Primewells?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
When looking for tires there is only one choice:

If you don't mind selling a few organs to pay for them...

What vlaue do you put on your life?

Obviously not enough according to you. Not to mention the guy is tight on money, and I'm sure your recommendation for a brand that usually costs a good bit more than others in the same category is helping him a lot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Audios
Garbage tires. You and your family ride on the tires, why cut corners? I could see on certian things trying to save money, but usually I go name brand tires and brakes for peace of mind. Go major label, besides the better rubber, they usually last longer. I routinely see Kumho and Sumis dry rotting after 5 years or so while my Michelin snows are going on 7 years with no cracks or rotting at all.
Stay away from the Falken ZE/Ziex-912s by Sumitomo-I have a set that is already showing signs of dry rot in the tread at only 2 1/2 years old-& they're not even on the car in winter!!

Originally Posted By: BrownBox88
I love the Michelin's on my Mitsubishi's. I use to have a set of Rikens and one of them slowly came apart on the highway. Never again will I buy cheap tires.

Riken is a wholly owned subsidiary of Michelin.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Discount Tire Direct is running $100 off in their eBay store, and they always have free shipping.

I think you'll find something decent in there. Primewells and other store branded tires should generally be avoided as you can usually find something better for the same price.

+1

At least go with one of the big companies....

Garbage tires. You and your family ride on the tires, why cut corners? I could see on certian things trying to save money, but usually I go name brand tires and brakes for peace of mind. Go major label, besides the better rubber, they usually last longer. I routinely see Kumho and Sumis dry rotting after 5 years or so while my Michelin snows are going on 7 years with no cracks or rotting at all.

Can't comment on the Kumhos, but the Sumitomos on my Cobalt are doing quite well now going on 4 years old....

Comparing snows to all seasons is more than a little unfair. Senior owned 'economy' Michelins tend to dryrot so badly that "That's just Michelin Cracks, they'll never drive fast enough for a tire to blow out." is something I actually say. They never do blow out. They do make those cool bouncy Michelin Balls on the inside sometimes.

What if the best factory in the world uses substandard rubber? Is it still the best tire because it came from the newest/best factory?

Wow! Thanks for all the replies!
The BFG's that came stock, and which I replaced with the same tire, are great on traction but wear quick. Won't be using them again.

Take a look here for my experience with Primewell:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2419674&page=1]

They're not the same model you are looking at, but you might find it useful as an idnication of the potential quality/performance of the brand.

I've now got about 20K on them and they show little wear. I'm not exactly gentle on my tires although I do keep up on proper inflation and rotation. They have been quiet, offer good traction in all conditions and hold air pressure very well.

I wanted to hate these tires. I really did. I still wouldn't buy them if I was spending my own money because of economic factors, but I can't deny that the tires appear to be a good quality choice. If you have no distaste for the Chinese origin, you could do a lot worse. I've had much worse experience with tires branded Firestone, Goodyear and Continental. Especially Firestone.

What if the best factory in the world uses substandard rubber? Is it still the best tire because it came from the newest/best factory?

Having seen trucks running Doublecoin tires & talked to the drivers, I would use them in a second. I talked to an owner-op that used them as steer tires...his first pair went over 100,000 miles. He replaced them (with DC's), had them capped, they had close to another 100K as drive tires. They ran about 30,000 miles LONGER than the Michelin XZE's they replaced, for about one third the cost.

I recall International puts Doublecoin tires on new school buses.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Discount Tire Direct is running $100 off in their eBay store, and they always have free shipping.

The deal is actually a $100 visa card, not a $100 discount. Basically, it's a rebate that they give you on a card. Plus, it's only on "select" tires and wheels. I didn't look to see what models it includes.

I have a $50 visa card one right now and I'm finding it somewhat difficult to use.

As others have mentioned, they're likely Chinese. The ones I've looked at were Chinese. I won't buy Chinese tires, but that's just me. I try to avoid Chinese products, especially for something as critical to my safety as tires.

Its easy to use those. Anybody should be able to tell their register to only charge a certain amount on a card. Buy something/things you know will total over the card limit. Lets say its 2 jugs of PU. With tax, this should be just over $50. Once its rung up say, "I only want $50 on this card." Then you just pay the remainder.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

Its easy to use those. Anybody should be able to tell their register to only charge a certain amount on a card. Buy something/things you know will total over the card limit. Lets say its 2 jugs of PU. With tax, this should be just over $50. Once its rung up say, "I only want $50 on this card." Then you just pay the remainder.

I know how to use it. The problem is that I want to use it online. You can't use it for most websites, since they'll only let you use one credit card with their automated ordering system. I have to plan ahead to order something that will allow me to call and use more than one card.

That's the difficulty.

I am using it on my Camry now. I like the PrimeWell Tire for price and durability. The wall is very stiff and thick. I think they are safe. I spend 35 dollar each tire compare 100 for name brand tire. The road noise is high but it is very durable. I got almost 50k miles on a 40k mile tire and still have useful life on them. For people with value in mind, Primewell is the choice. However, congress put extra tariff on these tires because domestic tire can't compete at this price. Now it is about 65 dollars each for my car. Still if you don't want to spend more on tire and if you want to sell you car, a low budget tire is a wise decision.

usually when you have heavy thick tires you are giving up MPG's

so you spend 100 less.. then 100$ more in gas per year.

Originally Posted By: Maxima97
I am using it on my Camry now. I like the PrimeWell Tire for price and durability. The wall is very stiff and thick. I think they are safe. I spend 35 dollar each tire compare 100 for name brand tire. The road noise is high but it is very durable. I got almost 50k miles on a 40k mile tire and still have useful life on them. For people with value in mind, Primewell is the choice. However, congress put extra tariff on these tires because domestic tire can't compete at this price. Now it is about 65 dollars each for my car. Still if you don't want to spend more on tire and if you want to sell you car, a low budget tire is a wise decision.

Depends on how/what you drive. Who is in the car. Many more factors than just value...

Safety is always the 1st. As far as I know, the tire is pretty safe. You can google the lawsuit against Primwell and other other tire maker and you will see. At the price, there is no other can beat their price/performance/safety. No wonder congress imposed the tariff on these tires. My Camry is 150k miles and Primwell is on since 99k mils. I will put another Primwell and get to 200k. Buy the time, the use car value will be less than a set of brand name tires. Some people will spend thounds for a set of tire. I won't.

I've got no problem with anyone who is on a budget selecting an inexpensive tire. Glad there are options.

But tires are just like speakers. A nice set of speakers can transform your listening experience without any other changes.

Same with a good set of tires. They can make an old car young again! They can also save your life with shorter stopping distances and better evasive capabilities. May even last longer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back