For those of you who use Michelins..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
In case you didn't come across the thread...

Michelin rebate thread

I saw it...was wondering if it was worth it for my car...

Seriously? You have been writing this very sentence for the last two years. At most, a set of Michelins is an extra $75 over the other brands you are considering. Your wishy-washy, indecisive posts about whether to spend the extra money are becoming incredibly annoying, pointless and a complete waste of bandwidth.

I have Primacy tires on the '99 Accord, RTs on the BMW and HPs on the older Subaru.
This makes a direct comparison kind of hard.
The Primacys are not especially soft riding, although they track well, are good in the rain and are pretty quiet.
The Primacys are not especially good in snow.
Dry grip seems good.
The RTs were new on the BMW when I bought it.
They would not have been my first choice for this car, but I've been happy with them.
They are pretty quiet, offer a decent ride for this fairly harsh little car and do well in the rain.
Dry grip seems very good.
The tires are wearing well after about 21K in use.
I can't comment on snow traction, since the car is stored winters.
The HPs on the Impreza seem very nice.
Quiet, good grip and good tracking.
I can't comment on snow traction, since these tires went on the car in October, and we had virtually no snow this past winter.
Overall, I'd recommend the Altimax tires.
They seem like a very good tire, and don't seem to suffer from the compromises that afflict many low priced tires.
I'm seriously considering a set of either HPs or RTs for the Forester before next winter.

Critic, this guy has as much right to post as do you or I.
Remember your thread lamenting your cheaping out on the installation of window tint on your new ride?
That thread was of considerably less value to any other member than is this one, a serious discussion of the relative merits of various tires.
This guy isn't talking about window tint film installation.
Rather, he's looking at a purchase of what may be the most important part of the car in maintaining safety in daily driving, and he's trying to carefully balance price with capability.
He's not looking to save a few bucks on some cosmetic frill.

Over the years I had many tire brands on many cars(I never have any SUV, or minivan or truck), some were a little better or worse than other in terms of performance on wet and dry, noise, ride ... But one thing Michelin stands out is long tread life.

The Michelin Harmony on LS400 still has some tread after 80+k miles, while other brands never lasted more than 35-45k miles.

Not sure I'd say quite that, but I consider the Altimax tires to be just as good as the Michelins, at a much lower purchase price.
I've said before that I don't think you'll find a better low cost tire than the Altimx, and the RT and HP are priced very close to one another in the same size.
Choose the RT for longer life, or the HP for sportier handling.
Choose the Primacy if you want to spend more money.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Critic, this guy has as much right to post as do you or I.
Remember your thread lamenting your cheaping out on the installation of window tint on your new ride?
That thread was of considerably less value to any other member than is this one, a serious discussion of the relative merits of various tires.
This guy isn't talking about window tint film installation.
Rather, he's looking at a purchase of what may be the most important part of the car in maintaining safety in daily driving, and he's trying to carefully balance price with capability.
He's not looking to save a few bucks on some cosmetic frill.

Of course he has the right to post.

I may have posted a few threads complaining about my window tint. However, I have lost track of how many threads and posts he has posted over the last year about this topic. His indecisiveness and constant whining has gotten really old.

Also, there are different sections on this forum. Yes, I agree that tires are more important to cars than window tint. However, this doesn't make make my thread less valuable to the forum if it was posted to the correct section and not reposted over and over again.

Critic-You have every right to post how you feel..I'm not going to hate. Though I am sorry if it really [censored] you off that much. Thanks to this forum, I've gone from going to knowing little to learning so much. I love all the things I learn here, hence my number of posts at times..Please keep in mind a few things:

1) Many recent threads of mine have been for other people (tire wise)...for family and friends and co workers (most recent being the Evertrek thread), not me. Granted, it was more me at first. For some reason, I seem to be the go to guy for tires now....and I like to gather opinions...

2) The tires for the car that I have been bugging you about is for my "baby"...for personal reasons, including this being a favorite car of a very good friend who passed away. Kinda the reason why I bounce from cheap to pricey, keep it stock or change tire size and so on. I had no issues with getting tires for my other cars.

But if you really think I'm wasting bandwidth, I'll make this my last tire thread then...
frown.gif
I don't want to be bashed on...

Last edited:
Critic-You have every right to post how you feel..I'm not going to hate. Though I am sorry if it really [censored] you off that much. Thanks to this forum, I've gone from going to knowing little to learning so much. I love all the things I learn here, hence my number of posts at times..Please keep in mind a few things:

1) Many recent threads of mine have been for other people (tire wise)...for family and friends and co workers (most recent being the Evertrek thread), not me. Granted, it was more me at first. For some reason, I seem to be the go to guy for tires now....and I like to gather opinions...

2) The tires for the car that I have been bugging you about is for my "baby"...for personal reasons, including this being a favorite car of a very good friend who passed away. Kinda the reason why I bounce from cheap to pricey, keep it stock or change tire size and so on. I had no issues with getting tires for my other cars.

But if you really think I'm wasting bandwidth, I'll make this my last tire thread then...
frown.gif

Dave, my apologies. I didn't mean it to come across that harsh, it was probably just a bad day for me.
grin.gif

But seriously-- just go buy a set of Michelins.
wink.gif

One thing that impresses me about the Defender is the number of sipes in the tread for snow/ice traction. The design concept appears similar to the Hankook Optimo H727. I had a couple of sets of the Hankooks (worked great on my 2008 Impala but were too soft for my Accord). Those tires are extremely quiet and smooth riding...and excellent in the snow (CR commented about their snow prowess). They're also considerably cheaper than the Michelins. I'll be curious to see how the Michelins are reviewed by their owners after they're on the road awhile (they better be good at the price they're charging).

Originally Posted By: The Critic

frown.gif

Dave, my apologies. I didn't mean it to come across that harsh, it was probably just a bad day for me.
grin.gif

But seriously-- just go buy a set of Michelins.
wink.gif

Thanks....and apology accepted!
11.gif

And somehow I get the feeling you'll be right as well..
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back