Camry...can't turn the key to start

Status
Not open for further replies.
02 Camry Wife was driving, home and parked. I go out to start it and the key won't turn and steering wheel is locked.

What now?

+1...I had the same happen to me with the T4R on occasion.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Jiggle the steering wheel with some force while trying to turn the key.

If your keychain is laden with many keys and/or other stuff, this may have caused some damage to the ignition over time.

Do you use original Toyota keys? We see this in old MBs, which use steel keys, like Toyota does. If a cheap brass key is used, it will leave filings in the tumblers, and then failure will occur because all that junk gets stuck in there.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Do you use original Toyota keys? We see this in old MBs, which use steel keys, like Toyota does. If a cheap brass key is used, it will leave filings in the tumblers, and then failure will occur because all that junk gets stuck in there.

I've never seen a Toyota with a steel key.

You need a new lock cylinder. Any mechanic can put one in. My guess is you will end up needing to carry an old key for the door and a new key for the ignition.

On my 1993 Suburban my lock cylinder broke and I could not shut it off. Pulled the center spark plug wire (shock). A new lock cylinder solved the problem. The Suburban always had two keys like all GMs from that era.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I've never seen a Toyota with a steel key.

The keys on our previa are steel and owned since new.

I'd suggest one last band aid approach before having to install a new cylinder . Disconnect the battery turn the key to start to drain any capitance left in the electrical system for safety. They spray a short blast or two of a liquid silicone spray lube in there. Insert the key and work the parts a number of times to get everything covered with the lube. I would let this dry overnight batt disconnected, then reconnect the battery. It might hold you for a while longer.

Originally Posted By: Donald
You need a new lock cylinder. Any mechanic can put one in. My guess is you will end up needing to carry an old key for the door and a new key for the ignition.

That's kinda ghetto, it cost me only about $50 for a locksmith to re-key the new cylinder to the old key. I bought the new cylinder from an online Toyota dealer and installed it myself, it really wasn't too difficult.

Mercedes still sells properly keyed tumblers for their 30 to cars. Got one not too long ago.. I'd bet Toyota will do the same.

There's nothing wrong with it. This is perfectly normal when a woman who's always in a hurry parks a car and doesn't have time to take her hands off the steering wheel before stopping the engine. They get to be in such a rush they forget to pretend to be weak, gorillaing things around and jamming everything up but good. Put a little air in those underinflated tires and go buy a fresh jar of pickles to put in the fridge. By the time she gets around to opening up the pickles she'll have all the worlds problems fixed and won't be able to open the jar. When you open the pickle jar for her you'll look like a hero.

Yep. I doubt there's a prob with the tumbler. Just crank the wheel and relieve the pressure on it and the key will turn. It may take quite a lot of force on the steering wheel.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Donald

That's kinda ghetto, it cost me only about $50 for a locksmith to re-key the new cylinder to the old key. I bought the new cylinder from an online Toyota dealer and installed it myself, it really wasn't too difficult.

This happened to my 03' Focus about a year ago (a very common problem for my vehicle).

Yes..... you'll probably need a new lock cylinder....and the best and cheapest way to have it done is with a locksmith (most are very experienced with this issue).

Order the cylinder from your Toyota dealership, have the locksmith pick it up, and then have him come to your home to replace it. It shouldn't take more than an hour.... and the hourly rate for a locksmith is about one third... compared to the stealership.

I believe the total cost to me (part and labor...was about $125.

My bet would have been the steering wheel lock was jammed, and cranking the wheel hard over while jiggling the key would be the cure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back