Anyone Notice Synthetic Makes Some Engines Louder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I switched between syn and dino of the same 5W30 grade many times in my LS400 and didn't hear anything different. But the engine is quieter with Valvoline Synpower 5W20.

Crazyoildude: I agree ...Just filled a Kia and Hyundai with Mobile Super Synthetic and both engines are louder and "buzzy" sounding when you hit the throttle versus the dino I had in before .

Depends on the synthetic. I'd put Red Line and probably RLI (or any other high density/high % ester oil) up against any dino on the NVH front for a given viscosity.

Yes, I have a pair of high mileage Chevy 3.1/3.4 slappers and they are much quieter on a good dino than synthetic. Doesn't mean the syn isn't working well, but it is louder in those engines.

I think it has more to do with viscosity and hths than syn versus dino. But yes, I have typically found some synthetics to be relatively noisier in the Forester.

Csan't say I have heard much difference, but T6 makes a 260k I4 Camry motor a little more quiet, I think. Put a premium Walker OEM replacement muffler on it and noticed it is more quiet than the Bosal which was on there.

I used to think the same thing, my Altima is "sensitive" to different oil brands/types (or I just feel a difference). The worst it ever felt I was using Amsoil 5w30 ASL. The second worst is Mobil 1 EP, so I started thinking it was something to do with the true synthetics. It has to be something to do with viscosity though because if I use M1 0w40 I can't tell the car is running sometimes. Ultra is also pretty good too, so I have no idea.

2012 Jeep Patriot
The engine is louder right now.

last OC: Quaker State green bot

current OC: Havoline synthetic

FWIW oil filter is a Bosch Premium.

Last edited:
I have noticed noise changes between different brands but not between base oils.

For instance I thought the Silverado I owned for 5 years was most noisy with Mobil Super Synthetic and most quiet with PP...both being 5w-30.

Originally Posted By: robo339
What does this have to do with oil filters

I just assumed the OP accidentally posted this in the wrong forum, but maybe I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back