Does Premium Diesel Fuel Exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At my workplace, we have been getting B5 off road diesel fuel from the same contracted supplier for at least 5 years.

We now have a new supplier and he said we could have any kind of diesel we want. He said some units are ordering regular off road, some B5 to B20, and one is asking for premium (all for ag. equipment).

He then said that no one really makes a premium diesel fuel and they just pour in some additives before delivery to call it premium.

It seemed that he thought the idea of premium diesel was kind of silly.

Can someone enlighten me? Thank you.

He also said that bio-diesel use has really dropped since it costs somewhat more than regular diesel and that they just mix "batches" as needed. Makes me worry about quality control just a bit.

Premium diesel to me always implied slightly higher cetane rating.

This can be obtained with additives.

I like the idea of B5 for cleanliness and lubricity.

I've only ever seen this once in my life so far, but I ran into a shell station that had 2 different levels on diesel at their pumps.
One silver, one v-power diesel.

No idea what the difference between them was though

Contact us | Reports and publications | BP worldwide | Home Search Search:
About BP Products and services Sustainability Investors Press Careers Gulf of Mexico restoration
You are here:BP Global About BP BP worldwide United States Retail United States
BP Alternative Energy Chemicals Exploration and Production Pipelines Refining RetailUS Energy Issues Fabric of America
Retail
BP US Retailing
As the second-largest gasoline marketer in the United States, BP offers consumers quality gasoline designed to meet the needs of the variety of gasoline-powered vehicles in the US. BP is dedicated to producing fuels that help improve automotive performance, efficiency and emissions. BP provides customers with fuel for transportation and energy for heat and light.

BP is the single, global brand formed by the combination of the former British Petroleum, Amoco Corp., Atlantic Richfield (ARCO) and Burmah Castrol.

Every year, over 22 billion gallons of fuel are sold annually through the BP and ARCO branded retail outlets. Every day, BP serves 50 million gallons to our valued consumers via more than 10,000 BP-branded retail locations east of the Rockies, and another 1,500 on the West Coast via the ARCO brand. To find a complete list of BP and Arco stations, visit http://mybpstation.com/

http://mybpstation.com/
BP’s quality fuels are not only recognized in the marketplace but also within the industry – in the US, 9 out of 10 automobiles leave the manufacturing plant filled with BP gasoline. In addition, BP provides more than 3.5 billion gallons annually of gasoline and distillate products to unbranded customers – including High Volume Retailers (HVRs), trucking fleets, industrial users, auto and truck manufacturers, railroads and utilities.

Our family of brands includes Amoco, ampm, ARCO, BP and Castrol.
Fuel
BP is committed to providing consumers with high-quality fuels. To continue on this track, in 2008, BP introduced BP gasoline with Invigorate® as part of the company’s largest product launch to date, which is available at stations east of the Rockies.

All three grades of new BP gasoline with Invigorate® have a unique formula that, with continuous use, helps clean critical engine parts and protects against deposits, corrosion and sludge formation. Results include cleaner engines that minimize exhaust emissions, experience smoother acceleration with less hesitation, and provide restored fuel economy.

For over a decade, BP’s Amoco Ultimate® gasoline has been rated first in quality by drivers in a nationwide survey conducted by NPD.
Amoco Ultimate
Diesel fuel and lubricants
BP is a leader in clean diesel fuel technology, commercially marketing an ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel six years in advance of EPA regulations. With ultra-low sulfur BP Diesel, exhaust emissions are reduced without sacrificing engine performance or storage stability. In fact, the ultra-low sulfur content of BP Diesel enables its use with advanced emission control systems to greatly reduce harmful emissions, including particulate matter, hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide emissions, by as much as 90%.

BP Diesel aligns the power of the BP brand with the market's demand for diesel. Consumers around the world are demanding the better mileage and lower emissions benefits that BP Diesel delivers.

In an effort to meet the growing needs of consumers, many BP sites now carry BP Diesel, Amoco Premier™ Diesel or BP Diesel Supreme, which aim to provide motorists with low-emission, low-sulfur diesel fuel products.

BP Diesel enables powerful diesel vehicles to unleash their maximum potential. It also works with advanced emission control systems to greatly reduce emissions and their impact on the environment without sacrificing power, performance and mileage.

The high-quality, performance-enhancing additives in Amoco Premier™ Diesel do more than expected, helping vehicles run smoother and quieter. Benefits include having enhanced engine performance and quicker starts in cold temperatures.

BP Diesel Supreme contains a winterized formula that improves cold weather performance. That means, it will ignite faster and run smoother and quieter. BP Diesel Supreme provides reliability in exceptionally cold weather while protecting engines.
A variety of motor oils – including BP Select™, BP Special Premium™ 30, Castrol GTX™, Castrol GTX™ Start Up, Castrol GTX™ Diesel, Castrol SYNTEC™ (a synthetic), and Castrol SYNTEC BLEND™ – along with some other automotive lubricants (e.g., transmission fluid, gear oil), are available at BP locations.
BP diesel
BP lubricants - products
Motor oil & car lubricants in the US
Castrol - products & services
am/pm
ARCO am/pm® convenience stores serve 24 million customers a month in six western states: Arizona, California, Nevada, Oregon, Utah and Washington. ARCO is the West Coast's leading retail gasoline brand – the smart choice that gives consumers the same quality gasoline as other majors at a competitive price. And customers love their am/pm® stores, which sell "too much good stuff."
ARCO am/pm
Motor Club
The BP Motor Club provides motorists with a variety of nationwide benefits, such as 24/7 roadside and lock-out assistance, towing service, lodging and car-rental discounts, and trip routing.

Additionally, members of the BP Motor Club enjoy 5-40% off lodging and car rentals. To learn more, visit www.bpmotorclub.com.

Although ARCO does not have a motor club, consumers with computers have access to its online trip-planning service, which highlights any ARCO stations and C-stores that are located along travel route.

Visit ARCOgas.com when you plan your next road trip
BP Motor Club
Credit cards
BP hosts a cards portfolio consisting of the BP Visa, BP Card, BP Fleet Fuel Card, and BP Gift Cards.

The BP Visa card has been rated "best gasoline credit card" three years in a row by Kiplinger's Personal Finance. With the BP Visa card, consumers can earn cash-back rebates, including double rebates when you use your BP Visa on eligible purchases in the first sixty days of approval. The BP Visa card is the smart way to shop everyday.

The BP Fleet Fuel Card offers spending flexibility, detailed cost analysis and individual card controls - all available online. In addition, the card offers rebates based on volume purchases.

The BP Gift Card enables consumers to give a practical gift that can easily be redeemed at the pump or inside the convenience store at any one of BP’s over 10,000 locations. The BP Gift Card is easy to buy and use and can be redeemed for fuel, services and food items. BP Gift Cards do not expire and charge no fees.

Although ARCO stations and am/pm® stores do not accept credit cards, motorists can purchase prepaid ARCO PumpPASS gas cards. Or, you can pay at the pump with cash, a debit card or a PumpPASS card using ARCO’s PayQuick® terminals.

BP Elite Customer Solutions USA
For BP and ARCO customer care
800-333-3991

BP credit cards portfolio
BP Fleet Fuel Cards
BP Gift cards
Our brands
We have six master brands delivering excellence across the globe
Explore the BP group Related links
BP Franchising brands
We're seeking high calibre Franchisee candidates
CA SB 657 Disclosure (pdf, 36KB)
A Little Better Gas Station
Spend a little time at the virtual station.
U.S. Fuel Cards
BP offers U.S. consumers a variety of fueling credit cards.
BP Motor Club
The BP Motor Club provides motorists with a variety of nationwide benefits.

Site Index | Legal Notice | Privacy Statement © 1996-2012 BP p.l.c.

Sorry guys I wanted to post the link but my computer skills are somewhat lacking. I use the BP diesel supreme, I have three bulk tanks, on and off road. Now I have never tested it to verify the cetane rating, but its guaranteed to be 47, and I believe the Ammaco is 50 minimum.

Originally Posted By: Joseph_S37
I've only ever seen this once in my life so far, but I ran into a shell station that had 2 different levels on diesel at their pumps.
One silver, one v-power diesel.

No idea what the difference between them was though

One has more Cetane, the diesel fuel equivalent of octane.

I too have seen dual-rated diesel at some location i forget where. it also said "Super diesel is only approved for highway use" or something weird like that.

?

EDIT: I also remember the gas station where one could select 87, 89, 90, 91, or 92 octane fuel for their car.
smile.gif
I usually selected "90".. would have loved to see what my engine "liked" the most out of those 5. And this opens the door to octane discussion.

That's pretty interesting. I've only noticed one diesel option at the stations around here.

Yep, premium diesel exists
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post2505866

Caltex Vortex has a 50 cetane, "up to" 10% biodiesel, which is good for cleaning and injector pump lubrication.

I used it every time I found it when on a trip, and usually got a tad better economy.

Now it's the only Caltex diesel at the store that I fill up at, and the last 3 tanks have all given 10km/l, a number not seen since the initial fill of 10W-30 got changed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back