VOA with TBN Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5W-20 SN/GF-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Well, here is my question and the reply I got:---------------------------

Hello,

I have the following question. I am using Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5W-20 GF-5/SN conventional motor oil. According to a VOA I had done, it has about 246 ppm Mo. Is this moly the trinuclear kind (three Mo atoms per molecule) made by Infineum or is it some other type of moly?

Thanks,

Gokhan

----------------------------

Dear Gokhan,

Unfortunately, we are unable to discuss our supplier or formulation.

Regards,
Technical Service, sn

Well you tried.
I could say by default one could assume it's not the trinuclear moly, but I won't.
It's a typically trite response from a customer service rep' who I'm sure didn't even bother to look into it.
You really need the name of someone with authority to ask. "Johnny" who used to work for Pennzoil might be able to help.

Nevertheless, I doubt it's trinuclear because the concentration is too high and IIRC PYB has had this moly level for a long time, before the trinuclear type became available.

Ive been using the Mopar Oil which is supposed to be identical. Kind of seems a waist that I have to dump it every 6 months (Usually around 4000 miles) to meet the warranty requirements.

Originally Posted By: steveh
435F flashpoint is high for a dino.

In today's day and age, aren't even "supposed" conventional oils pretty much considered synthetic in one way or another? I'm not surprised by the high FP, esp considering that this Pennzoil's top of the line Dino.

Originally Posted By: Ayrton
I think it's always comforting to see, yet again, just how good PYB is. You have to smile, if you ever see someone buying this at a store. They might not know how good it is, but it truly is good!

lol.gif
i recently saw someone grab a jug of PYB at walmart and thought exactly the same thing.

So funny! the same old infinium DP used in the least expensive oils out there (QS/FS/PYB). Big Whoop. Cheap FS SM with high moly was the ILSAC nicest summer oil I ran in my Yaris. But Ignore quality basestock at your peril - its the difference between garbage oil and the great stuff.

Just as a note, this oil has become the replacement for the 'old Havoline' being the favourite dino oil on here.

Remember when SL-spec Havoline dino had 350-450ppm of moly in it, and it generated very low wear numbers, no matter WHAT application it was used in?

People went nuts over it, and it was the no. 1 recommendation on this site for a good while.....

Either way this is one darn good bang for your buck. It does not need the usual explaining" you do not see in a VOA". Beats some SN syn and more important gives pretty good uoa in a consistant basis. IMHO And you do not have to look if SM not SN at twice the price. No Brainer!!PYB makes some syns look bad additive wise!!Lets see if the TBN holds up!!

i know PYB turn in good wear result, how about it's cleaning ability of PYB compare to PP? I notice the Pennzoil website show the PP had 2 more stars in cleaning power then PYB, is PYB only has 50% of strength in cleaning compare to PP? thanks

Originally Posted By: gogozy
i know PYB turn in good wear result, how about it's cleaning ability of PYB compare to PP? I notice the Pennzoil website show the PP had 2 more stars in cleaning power then PYB, is PYB only has 50% of strength in cleaning compare to PP? thanks

I am no expert but I would say besides the dino vs synthetic the PP is meant for longer oci and probably "more efficient cleaning pack". I use Ultra cause its tied with PP at $24 a jug at walmart. As for the website they want you to buy the more expensive product but also guage levels of cleaning on each level of their product. Depending on how much cleaning you need and your oci is the real factor in choosing the right oil. All pennzoil clean great so can't go wrong.

It's a fact that some vehicles are not supposed to use any synthetic oil. PYB fits the bill on those vehicles.

Some vehicles leak oil when using synthetic.....PYB fits the bill on those vehicles.

IMO....Some like to just run Dino oil for it's unique characteristics and quality of lubrication.... or run a blended mix of Dino and synthetic, rather than a sump full of synthetic.....PYB fits the bill.

I like the way PYB runs in my engine and use it quite often with a couple/three quarts of PP blended into the mix. IMO...PYB Cleans and lubricates just as well as any other Pennzoil product.

Don't forget.....Synthetic is just a "marketing term"....all these synthetic oils are all made from petroleum base-stock. So when you're buying "Synthetic" your getting base-stock from petroleum.

Originally Posted By: mongo161

Don't forget.....Synthetic is just a "marketing term"....all these synthetic oils are all made from petroleum base-stock. So when you're buying "Synthetic" your getting base-stock from petroleum.

Whew... opening a can of worms there aren't ya! lol....

I believe PYB would be sufficient for over 90% of PCMO applications today. I do not believe there is a oil that provides you the bang for the buck protection of PYB I look at it as the Gold Standard for conventional motor oils. Of course this is just my opinion but Pennzoil conventional has been the #1 selling motor oil is North America for a couple of decades now and with a formulation like its current 5W-20 you can see why Pennzoil will retain its sales position. Now if something could be done about it's website.

I bought a jug of mobil 1 to put in my truck today and right after i put the new filter on, i drove to walmart and purchased some pyb 5w30 for it. During the whole draining and filter change i flip flopped violently in my mind whether i should or not, after running synthetic since 75k. I change on 6 month intervals and the truck might be lucky to see 3k in that range.

The mobil will go in another car so it's not wasted. I felt kinda bad so I had to give my truck a nice wash afterwards for going back to dino.
grin.gif

Thanks for posting the report.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
PYB SN/GF-5 is the highest-moly oil out there.

One of the top two that I have seen. Schaeffer's 7000 series oils commonly comes back with ~200-300 PPM of moly.

Originally Posted By: buster
Looks great and being a Shell product it probably is. However, you really can't determine much about an oil by looking at a VOA.

+1, and not much about the base stock, which PP will have the superior base stock over PYB.

Quote:
how much more smoothly the car took of with the Yellow Bottle.

Did the car bring the Yellow bottle back?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
how much more smoothly the car took of with the Yellow Bottle.

Did the car bring the Yellow bottle back?
laugh.gif

now thats funny right there , i don't care who you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back