Mobil Delvac for Bug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently I'm using Amsoil Euro for my 02 VW Beetle with the 1.9 liter diesel. Have been for about 3 years with 7K OCI.

Friend here at work says he uses Mobil Delvac in his 99 Ford pickup with the 7.3L diesel and since he changed to this oil even after 3k miles the dipstick is still barely dirty. My beetle is filthy black 2 days after I change it.

I don't know if the Delvac meets the specs my engine requires - but if it does, is that a better oil? I know it's way cheaper than the Amsoil.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
You have the VW ALH engine which is the same engine as my 2001 Golf TDI. Don't use standard Delvac 1300 Super in your Beetle. Your car requires a synthetics oil. I recommend you use Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 or Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40. Change your oil every 10K miles and you will be good.

If you're looking at Delvac, as adamrc pointed out, it shouldn't be Delvac 1300 Super. Delvac 1 5w-40 ESP would be among the other non-speced choices, such as T6 or TDT.

that depends on if you think black oil or clean oil is a good or bad thing and the reason its turning dark.

Dark oil most the time in a diesel or just diesel oil is doing a great job of suspending contaminates for filteration. The faster the oil gets dark (in a diesel) is better in my opinion.

Depends; Why does your engine require synthetic oil? If for a particular length OCI, then a shorter OCI with regular oil should protect it as well and probably save money, especially if doing the changes yourself. Diesel Engine Oils are tough - I'm using the Delvac 1300 in my 7.3 as well. Also, isn't Amsoil suppose to be able to run a longer OCI if all else is good with the engine? I'd run whatever gives you the best return on your investment while performing the required job = the best bang for the buck!

Last edited:
Quote:
Dark oil most the time in a diesel or just diesel oil is doing a great job of suspending contaminates for filteration. The faster the oil gets dark (in a diesel) is better in my opinion.
It depends on the engine. What is said above is true in the same engine, and does not apply if compared to different engines. If there is soot as a result of the combustion, yes, the oil must hold it in suspension.

Originally Posted By: 1WildPig
Depends; Why does your engine require synthetic oil?

In the case of the VW TDI, it requires synthetic due to high piston temperatures. It's well documented on TDIclub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back