Ballpoint pens that go "inky"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it that a ballpoint pen starts out writing properly with the right amount of ink, however after they get mid-way through their life they become excessively inky and leave smudges and dispense way too much ink? Does the ball develop imperfections?

I'm using standard paper-mate ballpoint cheapo pens.

Anyway to fix this or just keep wiping the end off with your fingers?

Ok procrastinating done...back to studying.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: GMFan
Does the ball develop imperfections?

The ball doesn't really wear that much. What wears is everything else. That increases the clearances, resulting in increased ink-flow.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
I'm using standard paper-mate ballpoint cheapo pens.

Anyway to fix this or just keep wiping the end off with your fingers?

Buy a better grade of pen.

PaperMate is the lowest of low-end pens. It's what companies buy when they can't control theft of pens by customers, but must continue to provide pens to them.

poorly made ballpoint pens will leak as the ball "wears".

Decently made ones will still leak, but usually when it reaches almost the end of the ink reserve as the "iridium coated" roller ball wears down.

Q.

I've used many a hundred Bics over the years, and very rarely had this problem. The cheap, simple Bic Stic / Round Stic is my favorite everyday pen. One thing the French actually do quite well in addition to wine. ;-)

Originally Posted By: Tegger
PaperMate is the lowest of low-end pens. It's what companies buy when they can't control theft of pens by customers, but must continue to provide pens to them.

True. These pens are old too...we bought a box of 50 probably 10 years ago and I used them throughout school and college. I think the whole box was $5 or so. I just checked and Staples sells these things for $1.99/dozen.

I have used BIC also and they do the same thing. Come to think of it almost all off the shelf standard ball-point pens eventually do this. I have gotten some nicer pens for free from companies as gift favors and they are refillable and they work great until the ink runs out. It must have to do with the quality of steel used.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I've used many a hundred Bics over the years, and very rarely had this problem. The cheap, simple Bic Stic / Round Stic is my favorite everyday pen. One thing the French actually do quite well in addition to wine. ;-)

I agree. I used to use expensive pens ($20-$50 for one pen). usually they were comfortable for a while but were too skinny to write for more than a short while with.

Now I just use the Bic Stic pens. I think they are 12 for about $3.00. They write well and are comfortable. I like the fine point in blue. Never had a problem with ink leakage or smudging with them. Once I accidentally bought the medium point and did have smudging, so I gave them away.

I have to use pens enough that really cheap ones are not worth the frustration of them not working. For me, it's worth it to spend a little more for better quality.

Some of Paper Mate's slightly more expensive pens write far better than the cheap ones. I like the Paper Mate Profile pens. They are click style with a grip and are very comfortable to write with.

I also like the uni-ball Jetstream pens. They write better than most pens on paper with dirt/smudges on it.

i use a 2 or 2 1/2 (HB or B) pencil with good sharpener and eraser for all my writing at work. also helps out in the field when it is raining.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: silverrat
I have had success with Bic Round Stic, I usually lose them before they run out.

Bic Atlantis Retractable are very smooth. Don't know how they will hold up. Ditto on losing them.

I'm picky about pens. I like ball point pens, but I like a really dark ink. Doesn't matter much to me if it is blue or black, though.

I used to do all my math in blue ink (seriously) and I'm a math major. I stopped using pencils in high school. If I made any mistake, I'd rewrite it. This forced me to really become a perfectionist.

I used to use Papermate blue pens. I'd find about 2 out of the pack that wrote better than the others and I'd give the rest away. I got tired of doing that after several packs.

Now I use Jetstream Uniball pens. They write very clear in black, but don't seem to last as long - but that's ok with me.

http://www.jetpens.com/Uni-ball-Jetstream-Ballpoint-Pen-0.7-mm-Rubber-Body-Series-Black-Body/pd/1812

I prefer the Bic round stick pens too, but that choice has been kind of foisted upon me. For 6 of the last 7 years I was on the road a lot and most of the hotels I used had those pens in the room.

I don't think I'll have to actually *buy* a pen for about 10 years.
crackmeup2.gif

A pen may last me at most a week before I misplace it so none of mine develop issues like that.

I used to use Parker pens but the cost of the lost pens was just too much.

I do a lot of hand writing for aircraft logs and paperwork. I've tried every brand. The quality has been trending downhill for years now. Papermate used to be quite good. Today, they are universally terrible. Except for the "odd" good batch. Weird...

So, I've chosen another route. The Fischer Space Pen. They work perfectly every time. They write smoothly, clearly and the ink cartridge lasts right up until it runs out.

ag7-web1.jpg

http://www.spacepen.com/

refill_cutaway_withdescription.jpg

A little known secret is that the Fischer space pen refills also work in many other pens. So, if you have a nice, high end pen, the Space Pen refill will probably fit. My refills came with a little adapter too.

The Fischer space pen refills come with a "Parker" adapter. So, any pen that takes a Parker refill, can also use a one of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back