Water Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a thread about this a while back, but it seemed to fix itself for nearly a year but it is back now and before it gets hot out I thought I'd revisit this.

This is for my dad's Suburban (2002 5.3L). The waterpump is leaking from the gasket as far as I can tell. I have a few questions:

-Advance Auto Parts has a water pump made by GMB. Is that a decent brand? OEM is crazy expensive that's out of the question.

-Do I need RTV for this gasket?

-Should I buy a Felpro gasket rather than using the one the waterpump comes with?

-Do the bolts need to be torqued down or can I just snug them up?

I should mention I was trying to buy from Advance to keep the cost down with their promo codes.

I replaces the water pump in my 1997 Geo Prizm a couple years back and used water pump gasket maker they have it at Auto zone if not O'Reileys carries it. I torqued the bolts to the specs in the manual and in the correct order, you dont want to damah=ge the housing.

GMB is good for most Asian replacements: from Honda to Mazdas, I usually resort to using them when OE is way too expensive.

RTV is good so long as your surface area is prepped clean and free from oil/grease/liquid.

Give it a few hours of curing before you start refilling the rad.

you'll be better off slightly torquing the bolts in a star-like sequence. Don't over do it.

whether you should use felpro or the one that came from factory doesn't really matter IMHO. I have equally good luck (or bad luck) with either one of them, so the chances are equal in my case.

Good luck.

Q.

Any time I do a water pump job I always use a thin layer of grey rtv on the pump stick the gasket to it allow it to cure for a few then put a thin layer on the side of the gasket that mates to the block and bolt it up. Never had a leak this way. Just dont go wild with the rtv.

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-251-743-Service-Engine-Water/dp/B00496Y4IK/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Model=Suburban%201500%7C497&n=15684181&s=automotive&Make=Chevrolet%7C47&Year=2002%7C2002&vehicleType=automotive&newCar=1&carId=017

New AC Delco 251-743 at Amazon for $126 shipped. Use a manual for proper procedure.

Looks like BITOG doesn't allow clickable links.

Last edited:
I didn't realize that Amazon offered an OEM for so cheap. However the one from Advance is available for $40 less, and while I buy most everything online, I'm not sure about this. Even the review on that is evidence enough why I'm not crazy about it.

I just installed a GMB water pump and so far so good, the last one was from Advance as well and didn't even last 3 years. I use Blue RTV and put a thin later on the gasket on both sides.

Rogue,,,,Arthur here,,I have a pump that should work,,it came out of a '03 truck with a 5.3,,but again,,,GM has a bad habit of making little changes in design,,anyway,,the pump was leaking from the back seal and with those pumps you can reseal them so I replaced it and checked it and it seemed to hold.Give me all of the stats on your engine,,you know,,A/C,,type of steering,,AKA:hydro-boost or not,,I just need to make sure it will work,,if it does,,,I'll sell it to you for $35.00.It is a factory GM pump with the pulley.Send me an email if interested.I live up in Calhoun,,I don't know where you're at,,but if you're close enough you can save on shipping.Like I said,,let me know the specs on your engine and I'll see if the pump matches up.

I'm pretty sure, like 95%, that my current pump is fine. I was just going to change it out since I was going through the trouble of taking it off anyway and it has 129k miles on it.

I'll be replacing the water pump on my 99 Altima tonight or tomorrow. I decided to shell out the extra for the OEM water pump at the dealer because I don't want to have to do this repair job again in a couple of years.

I'll be using the Fel-Pro gasket and the plan is to apply a very thin layer of Permaseal RTV to the gasket before installing. That way, it will fill in any small burrs or indentations. I plan on tightening very lightly and then letting it sit overnight. Then, I'll tighten to the specified torque settings.

Good luck.

The OE and Fel-Pro gaskets are aluminum framed with a rubber seal. Some of the after market gaskets are a heavy paper type material. Either seams to work okay, but I personally prefer the aluminum/rubber type.

GMB seams to make a good pump - I won't hesitate to install one (at least on an import application). I have no experience with their stuff on domestics.

Bolts can be hand tightened as the pump casting and block are pretty beefy stuff - no real chance of distortion. While you're in there, replace the thermostat with a new O.E. piece.

I wouldn't use RTV with a metal and rubber gasket, IMHO. In fact I wouldn't use it with any gasket unless the manufacturer specifies its use, or you have slightly pitted surfaces you are trying to seal.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I wouldn't use RTV with a metal and rubber gasket, IMHO. In fact I wouldn't use it with any gasket unless the manufacturer specifies its use, or you have slightly pitted surfaces you are trying to seal.

Well said.

I really like Gates products too. Seem to be very good quality. I'd have no problem installing a Gates water pump.

Originally Posted By: subiedriver
I like Gates water pumps, thats what I had put on my Subie.

So far it seems split on whether to go for the OEM or GMB. I'd really love to go for OEM and get it off Amazon (dealer wants $200 for it) but I just can't help worrying about any problems that may pop up and then I have the car taken apart and no way to go out and get another one, or if it went out on me after a short time...

Another question is, should I replace the thermostat? It can be an expensive piece since it requires the whole water inlet housing along with it. Also, what is the stock temp on it? I see most thermostats are 180 degrees, does that seem right? Keep in mind there is 129k miles on all this.

Just to put my 2 cents in and give you something else to think about, I put a Duralast water pump on my truck well over a year ago and have not had any trouble at all from it. Can't say the same at all for the "new" Napa water pump I bought to begin with when I started the job. I had bought Napa because they are supposed to be better than others. In my case, I found out the hard way that it was not.

My Duralast water pump cost about $10.00 less than the GMB pump at AAP, and the Duralast pump is made right here at home in the USA too. That is important to me. IIRC, it cost me about $56.00. I did look at a GMB pump at AAP when I had all the troubles with the Napa pump, GMB looked like it was very well made. Autozone was also the only place I could find plain old normal green anti-freeze too. I have very little faith in the "compatible with any color or type" anti-freeze they sell nowadays.

Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back