Same Tire Model, H-Rated vs. T-Rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went from S rated OEM Bridgestones on my Malibu to a V rated Kumho ASX and couldn't be happier with the much better handling and grip.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Just for the purpose of beating a dead horse...

I would expect the Michelin Primacy MXV4 to out-handle the Kumho Solus KH16. Although Tire Rack hasn't done a heads-up comparison with the two, Consumer Reports has, and found exactly that. The Michelin exceeded the Kumho in five metrics, including handling, hydroplaning, ice traction, rolling resistance, and tread life. The Kumho exceeded the Michelin in ride comfort and noise.

Performance isn't free.
wink.gif

Handling?? I drive a Kia Rondo. It is the antithesis of handling. Ice traction? I live in Austin, Texas. If we get ice, I stay home. Rolling resistance? I got better mileage with the Kumhos. Tread life? I'm already getting signs of deterioration with the Michelins after 2 years; I don't have much hope of getting the rated 65,000 before the rubber starts rotting.

I could have gotten the Kumhos again for almost $200 less and I wish I would have.

OK, so the Michelins do have better wet performance and resistance to hydroplaning. That I will give you. But last year was one of the dryest on record here in Central Texas. So I didn't get a chance to use this functionality much.

So for next time, there must be a tire out there with good performance that doesn't ride like a rock. I think shorter treadlife is the ticket.

T-rated tires like the Altimax RT or the BFGoodrich Advantage T/A might be a good choice for you. The Goodyear LS should be a good riding tire and probably similar to the OE Kumhos. The LS has a short tread life and doesn't get good ratings on Tirerack but some people I know that had them liked the ride and they come OE on some good riding cars.

I don't trust any Michelin to give a complaint ride, but I think the first two tires I mentioned would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back