Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not hard to replace the valve cover gasket, especially on a 4 cylinder. Just take off the bolts and replace it, put some RTV on, and bolt it back on.

I did it and it was super simple. I am by no means a super mechanic and this was one of the first tasks I tackled when I got my old Jag. If you really want to take it to a mechanic, any decent one should be able to do this simply.

Originally Posted By: 2James1
Any shops you recommend?

I am unfamiliar with any shops in your state. Typically, the better garages are self owned and it will take some hunting and relationship building. I would look into quality of work and honesty over price. The big stores like Pepboys typically have high turnover rates and inexperienced technicians. $ usually exceeds customer satisfaction. Still, a hundred bucks for VC gasket isn't bad - but who's doing it?

There are some exceptions though! When I was starting out, I worked at a Sears with guys that had been there (Yes, at Sears!) for 30+ years. ASE certifications actually meant something and if your car needed additional work, we tossed you a pair of safety glasses and showed you the worn item (play or damage). Everything I touch is like signing MY signature. To this day, even if I’m doing a friend a favor, I give them no [censored] answers and turn it over when I know it’s done right.

FWIW man - I think you could do it. Especially if the gasket is a one piece silicone. Some even have grommets that stop the gasket from being overtorqued.

Buy your gasket and a roll of blue wipes and can of carb cleaner from Walmart and wrench away. We have some nice weather this coming weekend.

2.2 liter OHV 4-cylinder...big drawback for me is since moving here I can't even change my oil because i live in an apartment.

That engine is very easy to replace a VC gasket. It should easily be under an hour.

Originally Posted By: 2James1
2.2 liter OHV 4-cylinder...big drawback for me is since moving here I can't even change my oil because i live in an apartment.

Pull in the side parking lot of your nearest auto parts store, let it cool a few minutes and go at it. I think you will be surprised at how easy it is.

Changing the valve cover gasket on this engine is probably even easier than doing an oil change what with being able to stand and everything being in plain sight. It would probably take a little longer than an oil change because you'd be a little nervous. If you're sure you want to hire it out then don't worry too much about that either. Short of doing something ridiculous like cranking the valve cover bolts down with an air ratchet or driving out of the shop with the door closed there isn't much to screw up.

If you live in pittsburgh I can recommend a very honest independent station. Its the type of place that has grown business by word of mouth.

Years ago he fixed my Subaru's blown head gasket last minute on Christmas eve just so I could get home. (hometown is New York)

Originally Posted By: needsducktape
If you live in pittsburgh I can recommend a very honest independent station. Its the type of place that has grown business by word of mouth.

Years ago he fixed my Subaru's blown head gasket last minute on Christmas eve just so I could get home. (hometown is New York)

I would greatly appreciate it.

Plus if you do it your self you know it`s done right. And an added bonus is you can see how clean the head is....or not.
eek.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back