Dexron 6 - Redline D6 or Amsoil ( ATL )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

Anyone has experience with Amsoil ATL or Redline D6
what is better choice .. it will go to my BMW E90 328 GM transmission.

Thank You

whats the factory fluid? dex VI?

what car is this? year etc?

Last edited:
BMW
E90 - 328

25k KM

Yes Dex VI is OEM to this ...

Last edited:
Between those two I'd probably use Redline.

Actually, I'd probably use whatever brand name (Valvoline, GM, Mobil, etc.) brand Dex VI I could find cheapest. Seems like most Dex VI fluids are pretty good to begin with.

Hi Guys,

Here is response from Redline ..

At low temperature the D6 offers lower viscosity than typical Dexron VI fluids, the D4ATF is actually better yet, depending on the temperature, @-25°C for example almost 20% lower.

I have 12 Quarts of D4 - what you guys think .. should I go ahead and use this ?

If the car calls for a Dex VI fluid, why would they recommend what is supposed to be a Dex III fluid?

Yes, their D4 has a higher VI, but it is still a heavier fluid overall.

To compare the ATL to the D6:

ATL:
Vis@100: 6.0cSt
Vis@40: 29.8cSt
VI: 153
Flash: 226C (439F)
Pour Point: -53C (-63F)

D6:
Vis@100: 6.4cSt
Vis@40: 30.7cSt
VI: 166
Flash: 249C
Pour Point: -60C (-76F)

The Redline fluid is slightly heavier, but has a higher VI, much higher flash point and a lower pour point. On paper, it is a superior fluid.

I use RL D4 ATF in all my Bimmers, both street and track use, and nothing else has compared. In my 328 (w 6spd from 330zhp), it decreased temperatures according to trans case readings, and that is with north of 400rwhp... I use it in my daily drivers with complete confidence. It even makes the 1st gear synchros feel smoother!

I spoke with RP and they said that their ATF Max fluid .. will work great too ... Its not warranty approved but its fine to use ...

So I guess its same for Redline D4 ...

I dunno what to do ... go D4 or D6 or Amsoil ATL

I guess the low viscosity was made for CAFE ? and maybe I will get better protection from Dexron III - ( Redline, Royal Purple, Amsoil )

Last edited:
Hello Overk1ill

Is 1cSt a lot ? Something that I should be concerned about.

Thank's

Originally Posted By: Ndx
Hello Overk1ill

Is 1cSt a lot ? Something that I should be concerned about.

Thank's

No, I was being sarcastic, LOL! It isn't very much at all. Take a look at the difference between both "dex VI" fluids I listed.

Ndx said:
Hi Guys,

At low temperature the D6 offers lower viscosity than typical Dexron VI fluids, the D4ATF is actually better yet, depending on the temperature, @-25°C for example almost 20% lower.
[/quote

Try asking Redline if they have the DEXRON(R)licence and data to show that the product at least meets the GM specification requirements

It is a manual transmission, but I don't like the heavier MTF combined with UUC Evo3 Short Shift Kit, Dual-Shear Selecting Rod, and "Race" Hybrid Poly/Metal trans bushings... Too unnatural feeling, especially in the cold, but the D4 ATF works great year round...

Both are very good products use ur choice at this point and u wont be disappointed in either..

You can get actual dex-VI thats better than the Factory fill.. and will maintain your warranty coverage (what I would do)

What Dex VI would be better then factory fill ?

Thx

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back