Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4

Status
Not open for further replies.
This new performance winter tire is to be introduced to the european market in spring 2012. Apparently, the tires will be available in 2 tread designs:

"An asymmetrical tread pattern has been optimized to meet the needs of the wide range of powerful models in today’s market.
A directional tread pattern developed in partnership with Porsche"

Lots of photos here:
http://www.tireandtyre.com/winter-tires/322/michelin-pilot-alpin-4/

Interestingly, the photos show 3 different tread designs.

Last edited:
Mystery solved. Of the three different tread designs shown in the photos, the directional design with the continuous center rib is the new Latitude Alpin LA2 for SUVs.

At least one of those tread patterns is directional instead of asymmetrical.

In general, I prefer asymmetrical designs over symmetrical, and avoid directional tires whenever I can, only because every car I've ever owned has benefitted from crossed tire rotations to even out directional wear that inevitably occurs. I'd like to see more all-season and high-performance tires utilize asymmetrical tread designs.

From an article at tyrepress.com about the PA4 comes this quote:

" Michelin, a company known for its pursuit of product excellence – even if that means a higher than peers product cost – is particularly keen on being head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to winter tyres."

I had read elsewhere that Michelin has Nokian "in their sights", and plans to surpass them in winter tire performance.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
From an article at tyrepress.com about the PA4 comes this quote:

" Michelin, a company known for its pursuit of product excellence – even if that means a higher than peers product cost – is particularly keen on being head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to winter tyres."

I had read elsewhere that Michelin has Nokian "in their sights", and plans to surpass them in winter tire performance.

Hmmm, I wonder if they will offer these in anything other than the current, HUGE, 'rubber band profile' UHP winter sizes (like the 225/55-16s which I use)???

If NOT, then it makes no difference to me if Nokian "is in their sights" since I will have to go with a WRG2 anyway, since they do not refuse to make their top tires in my sizes.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back