Best lubricant for key lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is best lubricant for key lock and ingnition lock. that last a long time in cold and freezing and hot weather. I dont like graphite lubricant since I have to clean my key every time i take off the key lock. It work great for me many year, just that cleaning part that I dont like about it. Any opinion is welcome.

Graphite is still your best bet. The key ( pun intended ) is to not put very much on and to insert and remove the key several times, wiping it off each time until the residual is mostly gone.

i use motorcrafts penetrating and lock lubricant..i spray it into the ignition switch..sometimes when new these things are stiff as with my 07 grand marq..works well!!

product-image01.png

I had my lock on my car door jam up due to the use of graphite over the years. Took it to a lock shop and they told me never to use graphite due to the very problem I had..they use WD40

From what I know, the shop is wrong. Using WD40 on the lock means it will be more business for them. WD40 attracts dust. What you really want is the graphite either straight or in carrier liquid which evaporates away.

I'd use DuPont Silicone spray with teflon, I use this for lock cylinders and while the silicone does wear away after a time the teflon coating seems to bond nicely to the metal surfaces and usually I don't have to reapply for years.

I've used WD-40 without any issue. Does it attract dust? Possibly! All I know is I've never had a single issue with any locking mechanism in all of my years of using the product. It sounds like this is one of those, "darn near anything will work well," moments.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I use Birchwood Casey's Barricade as my go to rust preventer for tools and guns. It is also a very light cleaner and dry lube. It will spray on wet and then drys to a slick, smooth, lightly lubricating finish which is perfect for locks too. It drives out moisture and dust and then dries quickly leaving perfectly smooth operatings tumlers inside the lock. It is the best thing for locks I have found, check it out.

http://sport.birchwoodcasey.com/Maintena...c5-621cf7a4425b

service writer @ our local ford dealer told my folks they use wd-40, esp in the late fall, to prevent the locks from freezing.
why? From Wikipedia:
"WD-40 stands for "Water Displacement – 40th Attempt". Larsen was attempting to create a formula to prevent corrosion in nuclear missiles, by displacing the standing water that causes it. He claims he arrived at a successful formula on his 40th attempt."
WD-40 - Wikipedia

so probably a small dose of WD-40, with a small chaser of graphite.

WD-40 and graphite sounds like a good mix to get a graphite slurry that will permanently gum everything up.

Originally Posted By: zr900
Eureka fluid film has been the best thing i have used on locks

You brought back an ancient thread from the dead.

It's too bad, because all of the postings were ill-informed.

Most automotive locks are hardened steel wafers sliding in a hardened steel keyway. They are lubed with waterproof grease. This is unlike many padlocks and home locks, which have ungreased brass parts sliding against steel. These can be usefully lubricated with graphite.

Putting graphite in a greased lock will gum it up. A solvent based spray will redistribute the existing grease, so almost any type will work. An alcohol based lock deicer has the least chance of depositing an incompatible lubricant.

Originally Posted By: djb
Most automotive locks are hardened steel wafers sliding in a hardened steel keyway. They are lubed with waterproof grease. This is unlike many padlocks and home locks, which have ungreased brass parts sliding against steel. These can be usefully lubricated with graphite.

Putting graphite in a greased lock will gum it up.

Since everybody else is necroposting...

What you say may be true regarding hardened steel wafers/keyways, but I have never had an issue 'gumming up' a lock with Lock Ease - a graphited lubricant. Dribble a little on the key, give the tumblers a bit of the old in-out, wipe it off and you're done for a year.

Silicone spray has absolutely gummed up locks before. Also had issues with WD40. But no problems ever using Lock-Ease or just scribbling on the key with a pencil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back