2001 Suzuki GS500...oil & lube ???'s

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am contemplating a used motorcycle purchase, a 2001 Suzuki GS500 with 12,450 miles, and I have a few ???'s about oil & lube for it

1) what viscosity oil & SAE/JASO rating?
2) what fluid for transmission?
3) what fluid for primary/chaincase (if applicable)?
4) what do I lube the chain with (that turns the back wheel)?

put rotellaT in the engine crankcase and chain lube on the chain. Thats all there is to it. simple, awesome bike.

I've got a '96, as car54 says it's a great, simple bike.

The bike calls for 10W-40, don't know what particular spec. I use Rotella synthetic 5W-40. It takes 3 quarts IIRC and that serves for both the transmission and engine. Whatever the case don't use an oil labeled "energy conserving" as this may screw up the clutch. It has a cartridge type filter that you access from the front of the engine between the exhaust headers.

I've been using Belray spray on chain lube since I got the bike about 9 years ago. It works fine, don't over do it.

jeff

Back in the 80's in our Suzukis we used Valvoline 10w-40 wb and Bellray foaming chain lube, 2 very good products that gave good results.

Rotella 15w40 dino or T6 Syn 5w40. Both JASO rated for a wet clutch. Or you can try the Valvoline 4T Moto oil.

For chain lube, the best and cheapest one is to use Duponts Teflon multi lube. They make a specific motorcycle chain lube as well for a few bucks more. But the standard multi lube even says its o ring safe and for use on motorcycle chains. Keeps my chains alive and keeps them clean.

Rotella 5-40 or 15-40.

The tranny probably shares the same oil sump as the engine.

Not Applicable.

Motorcycle Chain Lube. It's very sticky. Others have money saving alternatives you can research, but that's what's worked for me.

cheapest 15w40 diesel oil you can find. Here is a poor pic of my '95 I streetfightered back in the day.
c0e5.jpg

there is no primary, chaincase, trans oils. Just crank/trans combined. Harleys have separate, this is no Harley.

chain lube, I use belray but there is others out there that do just as well.

I had a 91, and put 80,000 miles on it from 93-98'.
Many were racing in WERA in the SE region.

Oh, I always ran 10w30M1 and even at 80,000 miles you could still see ALL the hash marks in the lobes. Only had 6% leak down.

Best bike I ever owned!

Rotella 5W-40 is a good oil choice.

Lowe's sells the aerosol blue-label DuPont multi purpose teflon lube for $5, and it does a great job for chains. Clean, dry, not sticky, and gives long chain life. Be sure to take a close look at the chain and sprockets. If the sprocket teeth show wear, replace them. If the chain has any stiff links or pulls away from the rear sprocket with just minor finger pressure, replace it with any good o-ring chain.

I agree with the above suggestions. Run any 15w40, change it regularly, and that engine will outlast your interest in that bike.

I tracked one of those a while back. The motor was worked hard the entire session.

I ran quite a few oils and ended up on the Amsoil 10W-40 motorcycle oil as the bikes tranny seemed to like it.

I used the bel ray and it does work well, but I find the Du Pont stuff is just as good at keeping my chains clean and its more easily available and cheaper in my area.

thank you for the responses...

unfortunately the shop sold the bike before I could return with my Buell for a trade-in appraisal; really unfortunate is the shop in not so many words 'dissed' my bike by saying the last Buell they accepted didn't sell for over a year and that they didn't want it...

so I will keep my enigmatic buell blast with all its quirks and make the best of it; so far none of my fillings have shaken loose and adding gel grips reduced the hand fatigue;
grin.gif

Lots of people like and race those "thumpers". You should have no trouble and fetch a few more $$$ on Craigslist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back