2008 Lincoln MKZ 3.5L V6 Intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I have a '08 V6 MKZ with about 55k miles. Does anyone know if the 3.5L V6 Ford engine is tough on oil? Factory interval is 7,500 miles. Cars has no oil life meter of any kind. Currently I'm using a Motorcraft oil filter and either the Motorcraft syn blend 5w-20 or M1 0w-20 Fuel Econo oil. I do 80% hwy driving being it's my business car. Wondering if I could get away with 10k intervals on the Motorcraft oil or if I could go 12k on M1. Doing 10k intervals on M1 is still more expensive per mile than doing MC @ 7,500. But not having to waste an hour on a Sat is also good. Opinions guys? So I guess what I'm getting at is saving time and money. 7,500 seems like a short interval especially when I'm driving about 30k-40k per year. I also need to keep the car 5 years or 200k miles.

What about running M1 Extended Performance oil also?

Last edited:
It's hard to believe a 'high-end' car like that has no OLM.
If I were in your situation I would use a quality syn. for a 10K OCI.
I'm not sure but I believe that engine is an upgraded Duratech which were shown to be fairly easy on oil.

I'd run the Mobil 1 0W-20 for 10k miles at a time. Remember to factor in the cost of the filter when looking at a cost/mile.

For example:

MC 5W-20 ($18) + MC filter ($4) / 7500 = $.0029/mile
M1 0W-20 ($26) + MC filter ($4) / 10000 = $.0030/mile

Nearly identical. And it's conceivable that you'd save $.0001/mile in fuel by using the 0W-20 vs. the 5W-20 anyway...

I have one of these in a 2008 Sable. Stays clean inside with MC oil. I have started using the QSUD 5W20. Currently a $20 rebate available. I plan on doing 8,000 mile oil changes with QSUD. I bought a bunch of Pure one filters when they were cheap off of Amazon. I try to stock up when oil and filters are on sale. Bought a few NAPA silver filters. $2.99 each.

I do 10K OCIs with my Ford 4cyl engines using M1 0-20 with 10K OCIs and they are clean as new from what I see. You won't have a problem running 200K with that maint. sch.

Yes, I'm also surprised the car does not have a OLM, trust me... it doesn't. The 10k w/M1 also saves me some labor and time on Saturdays. I think that's what I'm going to settle on... 10k w/M1 0w-20 & MC Filter. Wanted to check and see if this engine had a bad history on oil first. And yes it's a + .5L Duratech from the fusion. Fusion V6 has the 3.0L, MKZ has the 3.5L. The fusion just this year I believe got the same 3.5L V6 as the Mkz. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
In the warm climate where you live I doubt you'd see a difference between 5w20 and 0w20.
I wouldn't pay the difference for the 0w20.
QSUD is still a bargain at WM.

I would go with Mobil 1 EP 5W20.... Since you are FL, I would think the EP 5W20 would be ideal for your conditions and for longer OCI's.

Last edited:
I just signed up for the $20 rebate on the QSUD. Hard to beat that. Deffinately going to run one of those @ 10k. Sounds like any good syn for 10k is the way to roll.

I am really surprised that it does not have some type of oil life meter.My wifes Taurus hase one,but it seems to just count down.When it gets down to 5% it says change oil soon and you have to reset it.It is like the low fuel warning that comes on when youhave 50 miles to empty.I really like the SN MC 5-20 .I use it my F150 and have towed in 106 temps.I use 5 qt MC5-20 and 2 qts 5-30 PP
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back