Help selecting a tire size for 18" wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to go with a new set of wheels for my Grand Marquis, which are basically the steel 18" police wheels fitted to Chrysler LX platform cars. Currently, I've got 16" wheels fitted with 225/60-16V Goodyears. The new wheels are part of my suspension upgrade, which consists of:

- Bilstein HD shocks all round
- Stiffer Police Interceptor coil springs all round (700 lbs/in spring rate vs. stock 440 lbs/in)
- Addco 31.8 mm diameter front swaybar (vs. 28.5 mm stock)
- Addco 25.4 mm diameter rear sway bar (vs. 17 mm stock)
- CNC machined 6061 T6 aircraft grade aluminum Watts linkage
- CNC machined 6061 T6 aircraft grade aluminum rear control arms (upper and lower)

The standard tire size for LX platform police wheel appears to be 225/60-18. Alternatives that can be used include 235/60-18 or 235/55-18, which is what I'm favoring. I'm trying to determine if the ride would be too hard with 235/55-18s vs. 235/60-18, bearing in mind the suspension mods. Would the difference even be noticeable?

I definitely want very good handling, and I don't mind sacrificing ride quality for it, but not to the extent where it's bone shattering so to speak.
smile.gif
If there are any alternative suggestions, I'm all for it. Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

To keep the same overall diameter with 18" wheels, you'd need a lower profile. Even a 235/50R18 is 27.3" tall compared with the 26.6" diameter of your current tires. That's a significant difference, but one you may be prepared to make.

The standard 225/60R18 that comes on the LX cars is 28.6" tall, which is much taller than the stock tires on your car.

I think the right combo would be 17" wheels for your car, in the 235/55R17 size. That's a very common size, and they're 27.1" tall, which is closer to your stock size, and will still improve looks and handling. They'll also be lighter than 18" steel wheels; 18" steel wheels will be awfully heavy (and will degrade handling and overall responsiveness).

Thanks very much for the input and the advice!
thumbsup2.gif

Now that you mention it, I can use the factory 17" aluminum wheels off a '01-'02 Crown Victoria LX Sport, for which 235/55-17 tires are a direct fit. That way, there's no need for spacers either.

Having said that though, apart from the performance aspect of things, what are the disadvantages of going with a taller diameter where handling is concerned? Thanks!
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Having said that though, apart from the performance aspect of things, what are the disadvantages of going with a taller diameter where handling is concerned? Thanks!
cool.gif

Lots of things are affected. How critical they are is only up to you.

1) Speedometer will read slower than you are traveling, by a fixed percent. Going from a 26.6" tire to a 27.3" tire is a 2.6% change. So when your speedometer reads 70mph, you're really going 71.8mph.

2) Your effective gear ratio is numerically lower. Your engine will be turning slower for a given road speed. For example, if you currently have 3.55:1, installing a tire that is 2.6% taller is equivalent to keeping the same tires and installing a 3.46:1 gearset. If your engine speed was 1800rpm at 70mph before, your engine speed will be 1753rpm at 70mph with the 2.6% taller tires.

3) Rotational mass and unsprung mass will likely increase, just because of the increased material (of the larger wheel). Compare the weight of the wheels (16" vs. alloy 17" or steel 18") and also compare the weight of the different sized tires (weights are available on Tire Rack). In general, heavier wheels/tires are a detriment to performance. Depending on the type of vehicle, you may or may not perceive this in the ol' butt-o-meter. Increased rotational mass means there's more mass to accelerate and more mass to stop. Increased unsprung mass means there's more momentum for a spring and shock to reverse after a bump in the road.

4) I doubt there'd be physical clearance issues with a Crown Victoria, but that's something to consider as well. Larger tires mean an increased chance of wheel-to-body contact on a larger impact, especially if the car is lowered any. It sounds like that's not the case here, but I guess it's worth mentioning.

Why steelies? You've got a nice looking G.M. I personally like the meshies on the optioned up Vics and G.M.'s because you don't see a ton of them. Police spec's rocking steelies are everywhere, so I think by putting them on yours would be dressing it down. Get some Marauder wheels or a nice, tasteful 5-spoke. Maybe even Mustang-style Torque Thrusts(17's IIRC).

If you're going for the P.I. look there's a ton of them floating around over here for cheap that you could import.

Originally Posted By: dparm
225/50R18 will keep the speedo (and gearing) in check -- overall diameter will be almost identical.

Thanks very much for pointing that out!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Go to Tire Rack and see what they recommend for your vehicle when upsizing. Those guys will know what fits and what doesn't.

I'll have a look on there, thank you!

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Lots of things are affected. How critical they are is only up to you.

1) Speedometer will read slower than you are traveling, by a fixed percent. Going from a 26.6" tire to a 27.3" tire is a 2.6% change. So when your speedometer reads 70mph, you're really going 71.8mph.

2) Your effective gear ratio is numerically lower. Your engine will be turning slower for a given road speed. For example, if you currently have 3.55:1, installing a tire that is 2.6% taller is equivalent to keeping the same tires and installing a 3.46:1 gearset. If your engine speed was 1800rpm at 70mph before, your engine speed will be 1753rpm at 70mph with the 2.6% taller tires.

3) Rotational mass and unsprung mass will likely increase, just because of the increased material (of the larger wheel). Compare the weight of the wheels (16" vs. alloy 17" or steel 18") and also compare the weight of the different sized tires (weights are available on Tire Rack). In general, heavier wheels/tires are a detriment to performance. Depending on the type of vehicle, you may or may not perceive this in the ol' butt-o-meter. Increased rotational mass means there's more mass to accelerate and more mass to stop. Increased unsprung mass means there's more momentum for a spring and shock to reverse after a bump in the road.

4) I doubt there'd be physical clearance issues with a Crown Victoria, but that's something to consider as well. Larger tires mean an increased chance of wheel-to-body contact on a larger impact, especially if the car is lowered any. It sounds like that's not the case here, but I guess it's worth mentioning.

Thank you for taking the time to explain this, now it all makes more sense, especially from the weight perspective and its effects on the suspension.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: meangreen01
Why steelies? You've got a nice looking G.M. I personally like the meshies on the optioned up Vics and G.M.'s because you don't see a ton of them. Police spec's rocking steelies are everywhere, so I think by putting them on yours would be dressing it down. Get some Marauder wheels or a nice, tasteful 5-spoke. Maybe even Mustang-style Torque Thrusts(17's IIRC).

If you're going for the P.I. look there's a ton of them floating around over here for cheap that you could import.

A Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis in Kuwait is as common as a Camry in the States - assuming what I read about the Camry being the best selling car in America is correct of course.
wink.gif
Aluminum wheels have been standard equipment on these cars (including base models) since 1998, and it's a rare sight to see one sporting steelies, although Police Interceptors are now a common sight outside the police force amongst civilians. A ton of these cars also come in as grey imports, most of which are ex livery/police vehicles that are polished up and sold. That's beside the point, however.

Ultimately, I have to base my decisions on what is available to me. At one point, I was dead set on getting 18" Marauder wheels, but those wheels have been discontinued by Ford, so I cannot even special order them from the local dealership. They are available refurbished on RockAuto at $206.79 a pop, but factor in the shipping and you're looking at $1,750 for a set of four. Add in the customs and other miscellaneous charges, and that's $2,200+ just for the wheels alone.

Another example would be the Bilstein shocks. They're only about $369.80 for a set of four in the US, but they're also 12 kg. I had to factor in another $200 for shipping, plus an additional $108 in customs and miscellaneous charges. That's 677.80 for something you can literally just pay $370 for in the US.

Looking at the Charger wheels, they're available from the local Dodge/Chrysler dealership at $90 per wheel. That's $360 for a set of four, plus another $180 to get them powdercoated body color. That's a quarter of what the refurbished Marauder wheels would cost me. You guys have it easy in the States!
wink.gif

Mustang wheels are an option I haven't really looked into though, and come to think of it, 17" Bullitt wheels with body color spokes and a black chrome surround would actually look very good. Thanks for the suggestion! Would certainly be a good choice for the 235/55-17s, and cheaper to get hold of than the '01-'02 LX Sport wheels. Definitely something to look into.
smile.gif

I'd go with a 245/45R18 XL. There are a whole bunch of good ones available, they're within about 0.6% of your OE revs/mile, and they've got a higher load rating than your OE tires.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
I'd go with a 245/45R18 XL. There are a whole bunch of good ones available, they're within about 0.6% of your OE revs/mile, and they've got a higher load rating than your OE tires.

This is a good suggestion too. Common size so you should get a decent selection of models.

My 06 Mustang GT came with 235x55x17. When I replaced tires I put on 255x50x17 which looked a lot better. The speedo was still accurate. I later upgraded to 18" wheels that I liked and 255x45x18. The speedo now reads about 2 mph fast. The 255x50x17 is not as common. I used Kumho ASX all season high performance tires.

That sounds like the perfect option to go with, with the 18" wheels. Having done some research, this was also the size of choice on the 18" rims that came on Crown Victorias modified by Kenny Brown:

ubbthreads.php

Any suggestions on what would be an appropriate inflation pressure for these by any chance?

Assuming you run the PI spec of 35/35 psi on 225/60R16;
That gives you 1609# capacity.
With 245/45R18 XL 38psi will give you 1620#
With 255/45R18 34psi will give you 1624#

Interesting... I looked up Continental's online tire selector (it's a fantastic wealth of OE pressure and wheel information) - they say that you'd be okay with either a 245/45R18 SL at 36 psi or a 245/45R18 XL (or RD) at 35 psi. They also list a bunch of other suitable sizes and give recommended inflation pressures, but 245/45R18 is still the closest match to your OE tires' revs per mile rating.

Thanks very much once again for the info! It seems 38 PSI is what's recommended with the XL load rated tires, based on the Continental website.
cool.gif
Now to get the suspension mods out the way.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS

That sounds like the perfect option to go with, with the 18" wheels. Having done some research, this was also the size of choice on the 18" rims that came on Crown Victorias modified by Kenny Brown:

ubbthreads.php

Any suggestions on what would be an appropriate inflation pressure for these by any chance?

Differs with every tire, size wouldn't matter. It's the make/manufacturer of the tire.

Personally, I keep mine at ~34-35lbs (last few sets of tires)most of the time unless auto-x/drag/tracking it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back