Headset recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Redline D440 came with a "cane creek" headset that has no model # markings. It doesn't have sealed bearings and seems cheap in nature.

I recently replaced my fork as I went went with a carbon rigid deal. The headset has more play in it then I'm comfortable with. I even went to the local LBS and they confirmed nothing incorrect during my install and its a cheapo headset. Redline used the name "cane creek" as a selling point.

I'd like a nice 1 1/8 headset, under $50 bucks if possible. I'm new to this so what should I look for before I make the purchase?

Thanks

I also emailed cane creek, voicing my displeasure but haven't gotten a response back.....

I'm surprised you have had bad luck with a Cane Creek headset - they're usually pretty good, especially for the money. At your price point I don't think they can be beat, frankly. I've used them in bikes and had good service life out of them and good operation. They're not a Chris King unit, but they work well and last if taken care of. Most of them are sealed bearings as well.

I'm also surprised you haven't heard back from them. The one time I needed a replacement part of a headset, I emailed them, heard back and they shipped me out the part in under a week.

Someone else posted the following here on BITOG a few days ago.

Been meaning to do this for a while. I got these originally in december of 2010, and have been very very impressed with them. They are cheap, less than $15, sometimes available at big lots for like $5. I could say they are good cheap headphones, but that's unfair. They are legitimately good headphones, ignoring the price. They aren't perfect, but they have a nice wide sound stage, good bass, well balanced midrange and treble. The bass is solid, not boomy and the sound isn't muddylike you find in most inexpensive headphones. They are also very light, very comfortable (they don't squeeze your head tightly) and offer a wide range of adjustment.

They are also surprisingly durable, I've had my pair over a year, and they aren't broken, and still work perfectly. For me, that's excellent, as I'm usually death on headphones. Seriously, if you want an inexpensive pair of headphones but don't want to sacrifice sound quality, check these out.

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAS160B-Lightw...0369&sr=8-1

Jim, I don't think your recommendation will help him steer his bike. Those ear phones will make his forks fit even more loose than the cheapy cane creek units.

Last edited:
play in the headset? that's an adjustment, not a headset problem. how many miles on the bike? how old? how exactly did you adjust it?

Your headset is more than likely a VP Components OEM spec one with Cane Creek branding since it probably was made under license from them.

My LeMond is the same, it uses a Aheadset Slimstak that was made somewhere in China or Taiwan under license. I'm probably going to swap it out for a Cane Creek 40-series.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Your headset is more than likely a VP Components OEM spec one with Cane Creek branding since it probably was made under license from them.

My LeMond is the same, it uses a Aheadset Slimstak that was made somewhere in China or Taiwan under license. I'm probably going to swap it out for a Cane Creek 40-series.

EXACTLY what I was told over the phone. I to plan on swapping it for a Cane Creek 40-series. Cheapest so far is $43 shipped.

The 40 series replaced the old S-3. Great value. I have a 110 series on one of my bikes and after seeing the 40, I don't feel the need to drop 100 bucks on the 110 again.

I would have gone Chris King.

A lot of Cane Creek's stuff is rebranded Tektro. Which is fine I suppose if it works, but when it comes to steering, I'm going with the best.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
I would have gone Chris King.

A lot of Cane Creek's stuff is rebranded Tektro. Which is fine I suppose if it works, but when it comes to steering, I'm going with the best.

...and playing the role of Monday morning QB...

I didn't see the thread until Tuesday morning. Maybe others will see it and take my Chris King recommendations. The best, and made in the USA.

They also make wonderful rear hubs. Noisy when freewheeling, but rock solid reliable.

My bike cost $500, carbon fork $100, Avid BB7's $100.

Chris King headsets cost $150+ and I would never know the difference to my S-3 ($35).....

If it was economically feasible I would have a 2k+ bike such as a Niner etc, and it would still only have a CC 40 headset on it.

Yep, no worries on the Cane Creek headset. My bike is close to $4k and I run an S-3 headset. They hold up great and feel excellent.

Same. I have 2 very expensive bikes and I use CC. IMO king stuff is over priced and over rated. And yes I have used both their hubs and headsets so I am not just randomly commenting.

there are nice parts at every price range; a Chris King HS is nice, but it won't make you a better rider. unless you have money to burn, the dollars can be spent elsewhere on the bike for more benefit.
I'm running a Ritchey fuzzy logic sealed cartridge HS on my Surly, it's a 'install it and forget it' kind of part, works fine.

Have Cane Creek on my fixed daily commuter, it's never needed to be adjusted during use. I've only adjusted it twice, ever. The first time when I put the bike together, and the second time when I was doored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back