Airaid synthamax dry cone filter vs OE

Status
Not open for further replies.
have a SRI with the dry filter airaid makes. I haven't seen this filter even mentioned more than a hand full of times, so I'd like to discuss comparing it to the OE paper filter and AEM prodry filters. The reality is I just want some extra noise with comparable levels of protection-- is this filter comparable to the AEM prodry filters in that it's VERY good and not say-- more comparable to a traditional K&N or oiled filter?

I could likely trade it for a 'tube' that would utilize the stock paper filter instead of the cool-looking cone and ABS plastic tube the airaid is made of, but if it's comparable to a prodry and turns good silicon numbers, I can live with minor filtration reductions.

Thanks.

Many times the stock system can be modified to flow very well and produce some of the sound you are after. Often by simply removing a resonator box or the like. Forums specific to your car would have threads on it for sure. In keeping the stock system you keep the OEM levels of filtration and its free.

As tinnitus rings in my ears, I can no longer relate to the quest for noise.

I had an AEM Brute Force intake that I removed because of noise. I gained a little power at the upper end but with me driving around sedately to save gas, it wasn't doing me any good. All I had was an annoying drone for my trouble. I went to an AEM panel filter in the stock intake that has the same efficiency and cleanability as the cone on the Brute Force and went to a quiet system again. Ahhhhhh!

I just bought an Airaid QuickFit intake for my Jeep. So far, so good. I've also used aFe Pro Dry S with great results. I'd pick the Pro Dry S and Synthamax over AEM due to the cleaning procedure. AEM still wants you to buy their cleaning solution. Pro Dry S is so easy to clean (in mamma's/wifey's sink)
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Many times the stock system can be modified to flow very well and produce some of the sound you are after. Often by simply removing a resonator box or the like. Forums specific to your car would have threads on it for sure.

There are such products for the car, I just didn't like the idea of spending $250 for what's essentially some 4" aluminum elbows and silicone couplers, instead of $360 for a real SRI so I bought the airaid.

Quote:
They're comparable to the AEM dryflow, I started a thread w/ info and efficiency numbers in it awhile ago here Synthamax info .

Nice... I totally overlooked that post the first time.

Quote:
In keeping the stock system you keep the OEM levels of filtration and its free.

Does it really matter considering the test data per above? I'll have to google some more to see if taking a $150 loss is worth

Last edited:
The filtration of the OEM filter isn't gonna be much better than the airaid synthamax if at all, though it can probably hold more dirt. 99% initial and cumulative efficiency is very good for fine dust, and considering the pictures of the test filter on their site I don't think many people are gonna let it get loaded fully w/ dirt before they clean it.

kkreit01 cleaning the AEM dryflow was originally just spray simple green on and rinse off, and I think that only changed when K&N took over b/c they saw having their own solution as a way to make more cash.

Originally Posted By: chambers
The filtration of the OEM filter isn't gonna be much better than the airaid synthamax if at all, though it can probably hold more dirt. 99% initial and cumulative efficiency is very good for fine dust, and considering the pictures of the test filter on their site I don't think many people are gonna let it get loaded fully w/ dirt before they clean it.

kkreit01 cleaning the AEM dryflow was originally just spray simple green on and rinse off, and I think that only changed when K&N took over b/c they saw having their own solution as a way to make more cash.

Why would an OEM filter be better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back