Intermediate steering shaft question (Saturn Ion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I just had this part changed on my 2005 Ion and now my steering wheel is slightly off-center (approx 25 degrees).
I have read that it's possible to straighten the wheel by repositioning the shaft (splines).
Are there any mechanics with knowledge of this? (I think it is the same set-up as a Cobalt).

Thanks

sounds like the person who changed it messed up?
they should fix it for free. 25degrees? I would have been going back after a block.

Last edited:
I have done a few under warranty for a popping noise when turning. I have never seen one messed up like that though but, any mechanic worth his salt should fix it for free.

You have to be careful with that because when the shaft is replaced the steering wheel needs to be tied down so it does not move. It does not affect anything as far as your steering or alignment is concerned but it can damage the clockspring in the steering column which is a VERY expensive part. It is what carries wires to your steering wheel controls and for your airbag and for many cars is $300+ . It is a bunch of wires coiled so that the wires can stay in contact as you turn the steering wheel without twisting or binding. If it is not centered properly it can snap the wires when you turn it all the way to one side or the other. Did many of these on G6's and Silverados. It would be in your best interest to take it back and have them adjust it properly because if it ends up breaking you know that place that did it for you will have no idea what you are talking about. Just my .02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back