'08 Honda Odyssey Trans Fluid change- Z1, Maxlife,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, here's the schematic for my '07 V6 Accord. The filter's in a slightly different place but can give you a better perspective on how it's mounted but it's the same arrangement.

If nothing else, pull the air cleaner etc and just study it for a bit to become familiar with it.

http://www.collegehillshondaparts.com/find-parts/Honda/ACCORD/2007/4DR%20EX%20(V6)/KA5AT/AT%20OIL%20LEVEL%20GAUGE%20-%20ATF%20PIPE%20(V6)

Originally Posted By: eagle23
Okay, here's the schematic for my '07 V6 Accord. The filter's in a slightly different place but can give you a better perspective on how it's mounted but it's the same arrangement.

This is incorrect. You're posting pics and facts from an Accord trans, which is different from what's used in the 2007+ Odyssey.

Like said, there is NO externally serviceable filter on the 2007-2010 Honda Odyssey, Pilot and Ridgeline transmission. Do a search. You will see that the filter is buried on the bell housing side, behind the torque converter.

Joel

The original link is for an '07-09 Oddy, with item #1 the filter. It appears externally accessible from the schematic, and seems to have a pipe running to it, same as the Accords.

Most Honda parts/service techs will tell you the '03-07 Accord V6 doesn't have an externally accessible filter either, but they're mistaken. I've changed mine and have the old one in my garage.

If it's not externally accessible on the Oddy I apologize, as they look similar enough in schematics to the Accord I have.

If it's not externally accessible on the Oddy I apologize, as they look similar enough in schematics to the Accord I have.

I've seen some conflicting schematics over the years. Even the way the correct 2007+ Ody trans schematic is shown, it appears the filter is serviceable, but the transmission has to be dropped and disassembled to get at it. Here's a mock-up of trans schematics I did some years ago. First is the 2007+, then the older ones;
07onOdyTrans.jpg

05thru06odytrans.jpg

99thru04OdyTrans.jpg

Joel

>>Even the way the correct 2007+ Ody trans schematic is shown, it appears the filter is serviceable, but the transmission has to be dropped and disassembled to get at it.
I believe you.

What's confusing is it looks like (on the later model schematic) that there is a pipe to the filter housing cover that is secured with a bolt by the dipstick tube. That would suggest easy access, which apparently is not the case.

Go figure.

As I said, I haven't seen the later tranny in person so when I saw the schematic "suggesting" access I assumed it was true, and that the "inaccessible" advise was wrong, as before.

cheers3.gif

What's confusing is it looks like (on the later model schematic) that there is a pipe to the filter housing cover that is secured with a bolt by the dipstick tube....

Oh there's no doubt this caused some confusion. The cover and pipe (items 2,3) along with the associated bolts, holders, etc. are drawn in such a way they look serviceable. I know I thought they were initially and was one of the first to post about it over on an Odyssey board in ~2008. I've posted these pics on BITOG over the years too.

I'd love to see one of these opened-up, just to see where this illusive filter is buried.. and maybe slap a Honda bean-counter in the process.

Joel

Obviously it's not logical to drop a transmission and open it up to replace a filter, so that is out. When the van was up on the lift, it looked like it would be a hassle to pull a cooler line off to pump out old fluid, so we did a double drain and fill with a few miles driven in between them. It's annoying to me that there is no good way to change out the fluid in this transmission. The only thing that is easy to do is dilute the old fluid with the (partial) drain and fill(3.5 quarts). I will plan on doing a drain and fill about every 10,000 miles using Maxlife. Amsoil is probably better fluid, but too expensive to be using it to dilute the old fluid. Thanks to everyone who posted and a big thank you for the drawings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back