Accel Oil - API SF - On the shelf at Wally World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped in to my local Wally World to pick up a jug of QSUD for a future oil change. With the QS MIR, the total cost of the oil is 57 cents. Its hard to beat that deal.

While walking down the isle, admiring the new section of Purolator Classics, I noticed an oil i had not seen before. Accel, 10w-40. Looking more closely, I noticed it was rated API - SF. The bottle says its for cars 1988 and Earlier. I didn't have time to look them all over, but was the only one I noticed that had an API rating. They also had a 10w-30 with no rating.

How can they sell this stuff? If I still had my 88 Chevy Clelebrity, I wouldn't put this stuff in. Even if you were changing the oil on a lawn mower, SuperTech dino would still be a better deal, and a much better oil. Wal-Mart and who ever manufacturers this oil is basically hoping to get sales from the illiterate and complete morons. Who else would buy this stuff?

oil1 by bigblumerstrikesback, on Flickr

Sorry, its a little out of focus.

Last edited:
If it truly is a High zddp and modest detergent it may be worth something in your Dad's '65 Buick Nailhead or your Brother's dodge dart swinger 340. Otherwise similar oils are usually marketed to the relatively poor and uneducated at a good profit margin. They are a near epidemic in the quick-stop gas staions across the country - so much so you have PQIA looking after us huddled masses.
That said, ACCEL should be a high quality WPP product though, unlike other no-name linewash garbage like BullsEye and Liberty.

I could no found the product in WPP list only ND40 but amazon says this:
Product Features
Contains more engine protecting Zinc than current API rated oils, around 1100 ppm vs the average 800 ppm of an SM standard oil.

Last edited:
ARCO's on the money. There are people with older vehicles out there requiring more ZDDP. They're options are an HDEO, a ZDDP additive, hope for the best with SN or SN/GF-5, a boutique oil, or something like the Accel.

Assuming it's a quality oil, if one has an application that fits, why not? Quaker State has Defy, which isn't API or ILSAC rated.

Oil companies still produce straight 30 oils, and sell them in five gallon pails. Even diesels rarely specify straight 30 anymore. What specifies it now? Lawnmowers? How many lawnmower owners need 5 gallons of straight 30? Just because you or I have no need for it doesn't mean others don't. There is plenty of legacy farm equipment out there.

One has to appreciate the labelling on that Accel oil. It says right on the front in what model years it should be used. I wish it were available up here and at that price.

Originally Posted By: bigblumer
I noticed an oil i had not seen before. Accel, 10w-40. They also had a 10w-30 with no rating.

Actually Walmart had this 10W40 until several months ago. It went away, now it's back.

I was looking at the Accel 10W30 yesterday. The bottle I had was either SN or SM, I don't remember which. I noticed it was 10 cents cheaper than the SuperTech 10W30 (Wpp) a few spaces down. My guess is that its the exact same oil, just one is in a blue bottle and the other is in a black bottle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Maybe you should buy a quart and send it to the PQIA for testing.
If wpp says it has 1100 ppm its got 1100ppm +/- . You wont get any accuracy from blackstone. Better talking to a WPP rep on the phone about the oil. NO Big Deal getting a mid level zddp oil in a 40 anythow. You can buy Motorcycle 4T all day long at AZ or VIP for high zddp - the trick was getting a "Pseudo-HD" lube in a multigrade 5w30 or 5x20. QS Defy has that covered now - otherwize you had to buy pricey racing oil. Fleet Diesel is to "gooey" for a car or bike - HTHS too high, 100C sus too high for modern engines with lightweight reciprocating parts no need for high mg soot control.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: addyguy
From the recent PQIA testing, HERE is a SF-quaity oil:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Janaury 2012 test results/DGauto.htm

I don't understand WHY they call this SF oil - I've seen SF UOA/VOA's, and they have a LOT more additives!
SF (like anything older than SL) is an obsolete specification-they can call anything they want to SF-AFAIK it's not even API licensed anymore. Accel seems decent, maybe Tom in NJ can request that PQIA test it for us? Personally my family has several old beaters from 1990 and older that could use that Accel oil, I've seen it at Big Lots lots of times.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
From the recent PQIA testing, HERE is a SF-quaity oil:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Janaury 2012 test results/DGauto.htm

I don't understand WHY they call this SF oil - I've seen SF UOA/VOA's, and they have a LOT more additives!

Yes, the Phosphorous content of 378ppm is too low, but up until SM, there was no minimum required P content in API standards. Back when SF was current, the maximum P content allowed was 1200ppm, so this oil that the PQIA just tested is only about 1/3 of what it could be.

Most likely this is one of their highest selling oils. Many operate under the principle of "it is the cheapest".

Then again, most that do change oil know a little something. Those that don't know anything take to Quick Lube.

Then there was the woman I dated that was not even aware oil needed changed or what it was. She had her car for 2 years and never bothered.

I have used this oil in my 1987 Jeep Cherokees 294,278 mile 4.0 before. In fact, a bit over 15,000 miles in one OCI with around 2 quarts make-up. Oil was clean, brownish, tan color around 8,000 miles. Jeep has Havoline 10w-40 in it now.

That's a far higher quality than the stuff that was in the bottles tossed in the drainage ditch at work.
frown.gif
Lots of SA being used there by the workers. It does explain why my car sounds better than most of them too.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Maybe you should buy a quart and send it to the PQIA for testing.

PQIA purchases oil brands on a random basis across the country - specific brands are not targeted.

Oils for PQIA analysis must be purchased by approved, trained and unbiased buyers, and the chain of custody after purchase is tightly controled. PQIA cannot accept samples sent in by others.

Tom NJ

Good to know. Still I would think no major worry with this Warren Performance oil and most assuredly would be within ZDDP target range +/-.

What happened to the O.P. Big Blumers ? Throw a grenande down the hall and run?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
ARCO's on the money. There are people with older vehicles out there requiring more ZDDP. They're options are an HDEO, a ZDDP additive, hope for the best with SN or SN/GF-5, a boutique oil, or something like the Accel.

Assuming it's a quality oil, if one has an application that fits, why not? Quaker State has Defy, which isn't API or ILSAC rated.

Oil companies still produce straight 30 oils, and sell them in five gallon pails. Even diesels rarely specify straight 30 anymore. What specifies it now? Lawnmowers? How many lawnmower owners need 5 gallons of straight 30? Just because you or I have no need for it doesn't mean others don't. There is plenty of legacy farm equipment out there.

One has to appreciate the labelling on that Accel oil. It says right on the front in what model years it should be used. I wish it were available up here and at that price.

Some power equipment and many small-engines spec SAE30 (I recall my air compressor does). 2-stroke Detroits use SAE30 or SAE40. (Do not EVER run multi-weight oil in a Detroit!) The Briggs in my sand-spreader calls for SAE30...I run synthetic 0W-30 in it because it makes starting it in the cold much easier.

Agreed. Basically, it's non-automotive applications. My point is that just because something doesn't meet the latest API, ILSAC, or ACEA specifications that it shouldn't be sold. There are plenty of people with applications requiring or preferring different specifications.

Don't worry, I'm still here.

While there are cars still on the road that can use this oil, i still see no purpose to this oil being on the shelf, other than the hopes that somebody that is only concerned about price and knows absolutely nothing about oil will buy it.

If all I was looking for was straight dino to change the oil in a car that was 25 years old, I would still go with a modern oil. For a dime more a quart, i can get myself a bottle of SuperTech.

If I knew enough about my car to know that it requires more ZDDP than what modern SN oils can deliver, I am likely not buying the cheapest oil on the shelf. I am more likely buying a boutique oil.

Also, what drives a company to produce an SF oil this day in age? Did they find a load of SF oil drums sitting in a warehouse and say, "Why don't we bottle it? What have we got to loose?"

I do have a serious question for BITOG. Does the API rating only apply to multi-grade oils? A previous poster alluded to the fact that an SF oil on the market isn't that strange because they still make single-grade oil. (I'm paraphrasing, but that's the impression I got.) Aren't single grande oils like SAE30 still certified by API? I believe you can get Pennzoil SAE30 SN, (which I would rather run in my lawn mower than 5w30 SF). I could be mistaken though. It wouldn't be the first time.

Originally Posted By: bigblumer

While walking down the isle, admiring the new section of Purolator Classics, I noticed an oil i had not seen before. Accel, 10w-40. Looking more closely, I noticed it was rated API - SF. The bottle says its for cars 1988 and Earlier. I didn't have time to look them all over, but was the only one I noticed that had an API rating. They also had a 10w-30 with no rating.

How can they sell this stuff? If I still had my 88 Chevy Clelebrity, I wouldn't put this stuff in. Even if you were changing the oil on a lawn mower, SuperTech dino would still be a better deal, and a much better oil. Wal-Mart and who ever manufacturers this oil is basically hoping to get sales from the illiterate and complete morons. Who else would buy this stuff?

My 2001 Kawasaki motorcycle owners manual says to use SE or SF class 10w-40, 10w-50, 20w-40, or 20w-50 oil. That would work good for motorcycles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back