Moved from Pennsylvania to Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all as the topic says I drove my 1997 Ford Probe GT 2.5L v6 2400 miles from Pennsylvania to Arizona in two days pretty much non-stop. My car has 164k miles automatic transmission and calls for 5w30 oil. I have been using 5w30 pennzoil hm 3k changes since I bought the car about 40k miles ago. I recently changed to Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 for three oil changes and love it! Main reason for this topic is I moved from Pennsylvania where its 10 degrees winter and 90's humid summers to 120 degree dry never below say 50's will 5w30 be fine in the extreme heat in Arizona summer? I have about 2000 miles till I can send this sample out to test it at Blackstone to see if i have any issues or if i can go longer intervals. Car has new water pump and coolant never overheated ever either.

Would love some input from some experts here :p
Thanks,
Brett

Last edited:
Frost not uncommon in Phoenix in the winter months, so I wouldn't say it never gets below 50s.

I'd keep using the same regimen you're using now, as long as the cooling system is working well.

You could likely go to 10w-30 oil just fine, but may see an ever so slight MPG drop (moving to 5w-30 wasnt for sold start wear protection, but rather marginal MPG improvements). I dont see a benefit to doing this, especially since youre using a sturdy oil in PU.

Yes 5w30 will be fine. Your cooling system should keep things relatively the same temperature wise. Maybe the oil will run 10'F warmer, no big deal.

Just because it's hot for people and people need heavy duty protection, doesn't mean it's abnormal for a machine that likes it at 200'F.

I live in Phoenix and my dealer uses 10W-30 in my Outlander. I've lived here since 1984 and never had a vehicle overheat so there's really nothing different or special you need to do to your coolant system. The heat is tougher on batteries than a cold weather climate so test it often and be prepared to replace it sooner than in PA.

On balance I think the dry warm climate is easier on vehicles as long as they are properly maintained. As long as you have a garage or carport the exterior of the vehicle is easy to maintain and looks nice even on older vehicles.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Yes 5w30 will be fine. Your cooling system should keep things relatively the same temperature wise. Maybe the oil will run 10'F warmer, no big deal.

Just because it's hot for people and people need heavy duty protection, doesn't mean it's abnormal for a machine that likes it at 200'F.
x2. Your car will be fine asd long as your cooling system is up to par. Might want to clean the bugs out of the Condensor and Radiator fins and make sure that the radiator cooling fan(S) are working correctly.

You on the other hand will think that you have died and went to Hadees. A dry heat! Ok sure so is sticking your head in an oven.

Wait till it's 120F and a Monsoon blows in. Then it's 120 and raining.

Originally Posted By: Dakir
Main reason for this topic is I moved from Pennsylvania where its 10 degrees winter and 90's humid summers to 120 degree dry never below say 50's will 5w30 be fine in the extreme heat in Arizona summer?

Actually they do get colder than 50 in the wintertime. LOL! I visit there at least 2 or 3 times a year, and I used 5W-30 in my Trailblazer (4.2 I6 engine) and Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum 5W-20 in my Grand Marquis with the 4.6L V8. Never a problem.

Last edited:
I was thinking possibly a 5w-40 would be better for the summer? Wrong thinking? Also I know my radiator has two fans yet I've only seen the driver side spin is the other one only turned on when really needed or?

Last edited:
I'd bump it up to a 10W-30, which will be fine even on a cold winter morning in the 40s. Stop and go traffic in 115 degree temps will sheer a 5w-30 back even more.

The second fan "should" kick in when you turn on the air conditioner in your car.

Summer in Arizona is dry, just as mentioned earlier, so your sweat evaporates and keeps you "cool" than in a humid environment, but you can dehydrate easily and get heat stroke.

Try and keep the car in a covered area as much as possible as the heat accelerates the degradation in rubber and plastic.

And I also recommend using a 10w30 during the summer time.

Did you change the thermostat when you changed the water pump?

I wonder how my Accent will fare during an Arizona summer. It only have ONE cooling fan in it lol and my car is black!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: accent2012
The second fan "should" kick in when you turn on the air conditioner in your car.

Summer in Arizona is dry, just as mentioned earlier, so your sweat evaporates and keeps you "cool" than in a humid environment, but you can dehydrate easily and get heat stroke.

Try and keep the car in a covered area as much as possible as the heat accelerates the degradation in rubber and plastic.

And I also recommend using a 10w30 during the summer time.

Did you change the thermostat when you changed the water pump?

I wonder how my Accent will fare during an Arizona summer. It only have ONE cooling fan in it lol and my car is black!

Yup changed thermostat too. My ac isn't currently working wonder if the fan not working could do it? It blows hot air so idk?

Yes the PP 5W-30 will be perfectly fine in Arizona this coming summer. And forget the 10W-30 suggestion, that really applies to mineral oil. With synthetic oil it offers virtually no advantage, just disadvantages.

Ambient start temp at 50F. You better use dino or blend. Your users manual might suggest using 10W30. You can use either 5W30 or 10W30 there. I would prefer 10W30 to 5W30 for better NOACK, shear resistance and HTHSV. For Ford engine, Motorcraft Syn Blend (Group 2,3 blend) is the one dealer use. Or you can still use PYB (group 2 with moly).

Was this engine not back specced to 5W20 or 0W20? Absolutely no need for a 10W30. As often as you change oil, no worry about shearing, especially since you use "full synthetic". This type oil should be good for 10,000 mile OCI's, or its not worthy of the name. Continue using 5W30 and drive on without worry.

Originally Posted By: 1999nick
Was this engine not back specced to 5W20 or 0W20? Absolutely no need for a 10W30. As often as you change oil, no worry about shearing, especially since you use "full synthetic". This type oil should be good for 10,000 mile OCI's, or its not worthy of the name. Continue using 5W30 and drive on without worry.

97 was last year they made the Ford Probe in manual and engine bay all say synthetic 5w30 recommend for optimal performance and efficiency. I was leaking oil from a bad valve gasket so I tried the Pennzoil hm and it helped a little eventually replaced the valve and intake gasket put Pennzoil Ultra in no leaks at all and I wanted the cleaning boost on a 15 year old 143k mileage car. After three changes of pu im now getting a uoa to see if I can push it further
then 3-4k changes with this great cleaning oil.

Last edited:
Go ahead and keep doing what you have beendoing.The big thing in ariz heat is to make sure cooling system is in top shape,and you have a good battery.I was uneasy with the 5-20 in my F150 ,especially when I towed my trailer,but the MC blend is very good.Dont worry about the 120 degree temps,it rarely gets above 118.

Originally Posted By: 1999nick

Sorry for bumping old(er) topic but how would I find out if my car was ever back specced? Manual says 5w-30 optimal hot and cold but thats from 1997.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back