John Deere oil and filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil and filter on my lx 280 yesterday , 18 hp kawasaki . I used penn platinum 10w30 and a pure one filter as the deere dealership near me has closed. so my question is do you guys think this oil and filter will be ok to use in an engine like this . always used a john deere or kawasaki filter in the past.

In my LX178 with 15HP Kawasaki liquid cooled V-twin the John Deere original filter was a Canadian made Fram. So this is what I buy and have been using off and on for about 15 years now.

For oil, my engine specifies a mono-grade SAE30 unless it's used in the cold. In which case it specifies a 5W-30. I use the mono-grade 30 and change it once a year.

I don't believe that brand of oil or filter makes much difference. I bought a ton of Penske filters back before K-Mart went bankrupt and used them for years. The only thing that isn't worn out on my John Deere mower is the engine.

as far as filter is concerned, p1 is fine. John Deeres AM107423 oil filter is just a cheap champ labs very similar to super tech (walmart) and the stp as well as other champ made low end filters. and fowvays oil recomendation is dead on for your application.....in OPE id take dino sae 30 over any syn any day. Just ask my fleet using only sae30 and never an oil/lube related issue, nor consumption

Much of the outdoor power equipment specs SJ oils. I'm not sure if Deere is the same. We sell Deere and carry there filters and oil. I'll check next time I'm at work, if I can remember
33.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Much of the outdoor power equipment specs SJ oils. I'm not sure if Deere is the same. We sell Deere and carry there filters and oil. I'll check next time I'm at work, if I can remember
33.gif

Whimsey

sj is backdated, most all current oil companies offering sm/sn etc claim their current forulation superseeds sj

Just watch the oil level. I've found some OPE engines burn/leak synthetic more than conventional for whatever reason. Some run better on synthetic. It all depends on the application.

The P1 filter should work fine. I actually prefer those over the John Deere filters on my Deere. The Deere filters are WAY overpriced for what they are. A wix is about the same thing.

Your oil/filter combo is just fine, but given Gadsden summer heat, I'd go with a heavy-duty/motorcycle/diesel rated oil in a 30 or 40wt variant. I've had great success with Kawasaki engines. Great stuff.

Joel

“I changed the oil and filter on my lx 280 yesterday , 18 hp kawasaki . I used penn platinum 10w30 and a pure one filter as the deere dealership near me has closed. so my question is do you guys think this oil and filter will be ok to use in an engine like this.”

There is no better filter for your engine than a Pure 1 oil filter. It has the lowest micron filter available in a full flow filter.

I personally am not to happy with Penn Platinum for lawn mower type engines. We are currently at 1/4 levels of ZDDP in SN oil compared to the SJ standard. My understanding of OEM motor oil for outdoor engines is that they use HDEO back specked to SJ.

With SJ you would be around these levels of ZDDP.
1200 ppm of Phos.
1400 ppm Zink.

Some HDEO oil is taking a hit from the EPA and has slightly lower levels of ZDDP.

CI-4/SJ has no limit and could have 1400 ppm of Zinc and 1200 ppm of phosphorous. Or even more.

CJ-4/SJ is limited to about 1000 ppm of phosphorous and 1200 ppm of Zink

These are the oils I have come up with as candidates for my lawn mower and snowblower that have higher levels of ZDDP.

Shell Rotella T 10W-30 is 1000PPM Phosphorus, and 1200PPM Zink
Menards $13 a gallon.
Dino oil.

Mystik 10W-30
JT-8 10W30 Super Heavy Duty Diesel Oil
Phosphorus:1200
Zinc:1400
Farm Fleet 2 gallon jug $24.
Dino oil.

Mobile 1 5W-30 HM
Phosphorus:1000
Zinc:1100
SL rated.
Full synthetic oil.

Also as mentioned in this thread many professional lawn care people use straight HDEO 30 weight oil.

My thoughts are, for my 10HP snowblower i want the oil that will let me pull start it on the coldest days, -5 Deg F or so. The only oil on my short list that will satisfy that requirement is the Mobile 1 5W-30 HM Full synthetic.

My 16HP lawn tractor could probably use any of the oils listed. But since i already use the Mobile 5W-30 HM in my car and snowblower why buy a different oil for the lawn mower.

I do not mind putting good oil in my outdoor engines because i am not a chronic oil changing nut. This year i used my snow blower 3 times for about1.5 hours total. I will not be changing the oil this season and i will probably go at least 3 years before i do. The lawn mower gets more hours on it, but i will go a minimum of 2 years on it and maybe more depending on how it looks and smells. And just between you and me, 5 years for either one of them is probably not unreasonable for such a good oil.

There is a legitimate question of just how long oil filters can last before they start to break down. I have never seen an answer from anyone that would really know, so for changing the oil filter I just pick 2 years as a safe number. Of coarse i would use a quality oil filter to start with Like a Pure 1.

I think the ZDDP issue in these small engines is overblown. Do you realize how little valve spring pressure these engines have?

Pennzoil Platinum will do a fine job in your engine. I use it in my LT160 16hp Kohler and my Dad's x540 26 hp Kawi and neither use any oil.

“I think the ZDDP issue in these small engines is overblown. Do you realize how little valve spring pressure these engines have?

Pennzoil Platinum will do a fine job in your engine. I use it in my LT160 16hp Kohler and my Dad's x540 26 hp Kawi and neither use any oil.”

I have no data to say you are wrong. And you certainly have a good point about spring pressure. The only reason i worry about ZDDP levels is as i said in my post, as far as i know all or most OPE mfg’s use a HDEO oil and they have a lot of ZDDP. And also in the manuals they tend to spec SJ oil which has a lot of ZDDP. You could be right that much less is needed but i have not been able to find any study that says so. My equipment is older, maybe some of you with newer engines could check your manuals and let us know what oil is recommended.

Originally Posted By: wally6934
“I think the ZDDP issue in these small engines is overblown. Do you realize how little valve spring pressure these engines have?

Pennzoil Platinum will do a fine job in your engine. I use it in my LT160 16hp Kohler and my Dad's x540 26 hp Kawi and neither use any oil.”

I have no data to say you are wrong. And you certainly have a good point about spring pressure. The only reason i worry about ZDDP levels is as i said in my post, as far as i know all or most OPE mfg’s use a HDEO oil and they have a lot of ZDDP. And also in the manuals they tend to spec SJ oil which has a lot of ZDDP anyway. You could be right that much less is needed but i have not been able to find any study that says so. My equipment is older, maybe some of you with newer engines could check your manuals and let us know what oil is recommended.

I didn't see the part where you said why you needed ZDDP?
confused.gif
This is a debate similar to the Jeep 4.0L debate about the need for ZDDP. Just because something has been that way in the past, doesn't mean it needs to be that way now. ZDDP is an anti-wear additive, but has been replaced by other anti-wear additives due to EPA regulations. As said before, with the lower spring pressures of these OPE engines, you don't really need high amounts of ZDDP. In fact I've seen engines run for a long time on cheap 10w30 oils. In fact, my dad's Murray push mower with a 4.5 hp Tecumseh ran for 15 years without getting the oil changed. If you want something with lots of anti-wear additive, use Pennzoil Yellow Bottle. It is loaded with moly. I find my machines consume less fuel when using PCMO, and run just as well.

The syn oil will keep that engine cooler...As far as john deere oil it is over priced and all the manf oil filters are also...I had a cub with kohler and was running wix filters on it..I change mine every 2 yrs ..manf say 100 hrs ..I don't put that many on in 2 yrs so good to go....I have a new Country Clipper Jazee Pro with kaw engine..I will go with reg oil first change as all manf say to go 35 to 50 hrs be for using syn oil. At 35 or so I will change it ove to syn.. AS far as fiters go I have found the MaNN filters the cheapest and made in the US..as for some of the wix small engine filters are not.. the MaNN filter numbers are 1009 and 1007 will fit most applications...think the 1009 is more common..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back