Tire Installation Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I measure if they already on the car? Or do you mean across the face?

Not across face. Front to back. Are you able to stick tape measure through the spokes and to the back of the rim? Maybe turning the steering wheel all the way may help access the back of the wheel a little.

Actually, your OEM rims are 7.5" wide in the front and 8" wide in the back. Still, you should be able to tell this difference just by using tape measure.

Just pump up the 225 to max inflation and air down the 235 to 25 pounds or so. Should equalize the rolling diameter. DRIVE with care. Move them to the proper place as soon as possible.

Last edited:
BTW, i must be missing something, how can ONE size difference be so important that a maunfacturer can create that kind of problem for the owner in the first place? This may be a high performance car, but it's NOT F1

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
BTW, i must be missing something, how can ONE size difference be so important that a maunfacturer creats that kind of problem for the owner in the first place? This may be a high performance car, but it's NOT F1

I agree. It sounds like it creates more inconvenience and confusion than benefit.

Yep. As you expected he mounted the 225 on the bigger rim. I wll take it back in the morning. The tires are now correct front to rear but the smaller rim is on the bigger rear tire. Should I expect any damage? I have used these guys for 7 years for my tires and never had an issue. I am very disappointed. Thank you CapriRacer for the info on the rims.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cwing6
Should I expect any damage?

I doubt it.

Also check if the same mistake wasn't made on the passenger side of the car.

Yes. On passenger side, rims and tire are matched and placed correctly on car. Driver side rims are reversed, but tires in the "correct" place.

....... I have used these guys for 7 years for my tires and never had an issue. I am very disappointed. ...........

Since these are directional tires, did they mount them in the correct orientation?

Last edited:
Yep. As you expected he mounted the 225 on the bigger rim. I wll take it back in the morning. The tires are now correct front to rear but the smaller rim is on the bigger rear tire. Should I expect any damage? I have used these guys for 7 years for my tires and never had an issue. I am very disappointed. Thank you CapriRacer for the info on the rims.

As I have said before, this is mostly about the one guy doing the work at the shop level. Some are quite knowledgeable and conscientious, and others ..... well ...... not!

The worst ones are those that have a bit of knowledge that is wrong, but they are absolutely convinced it is right.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

As I have said before, this is mostly about the one guy doing the work at the shop level. Some are quite knowledgeable and conscientious, and others ..... well ...... not!

The worst ones are those that have a bit of knowledge that is wrong, but they are absolutely convinced it is right.

Lord knows we've seen that on BITOG!!!

All is well now. The shop switched the rims this morning and apologized profusely. Everything looks good now. Thanks again to all!

All is well now. The shop switched the rims this morning and apologized profusely. Everything looks good now. Thanks again to all!

Mistakes will happen, nice to hear that instead of trying to automatically DENY any responsibility immediately like many places do they simply "made it right" and stepped up and apologized for their mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back