Castrol Syntec Blend 5W30, 2005 Toyota Matrix 1ZZFE, 4160 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Engine felt sluggish to me with the GC in it....also got a really bad ammonia smell out of the exhaust...I know people have jumped up and down saying that there is no way that oil could cause that and maybe it was a coincidence but when I changed out to Chevron dino the smell stopped
dunno.gif
Luckily I was able to return all 90 dollars worth of the GC I had to AZ

FWIW the engine is pretty noisy...like a clacking metallic noise when giving it the gas.....maybe belt tensioner? Have had it in for service regarding it and they replaced a motor mount under a TSB but did not solve the noise issue. Still get great UOA's and almost 37 mpg so hopefully it can't be anything too bad...
dunno.gif

FWIW and in case others have this too, I got that smell from a Toyota 4X4 using GC. Right at start up. I sold that truck and have no idea if it's still doing that.

I had nothing but trouble with Castrol Syntec Blend. It was the only oil my Dodge 4.7 would consume like crazy! I tried it when new and the engine drank the stuff. It was the only oil that my engine never liked. I put the stuff in my Toyota 4Runner wich had never had a consumption issue ever and it too burnt the Castrol Syntec Blend like crazy. I am preety sure it was 5W30 but it could have been 10W30 as well. So I took the second case back to Walmart and got a different oil and never had a problem again. Now I will say that I ran Castrol GTX for years and never had any consumption issues at all and I ran Castrol Syntec 5W50 for a long time until they went from GIV to GIII and never had an issue with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back