Best over the counter spin-on bypass option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The BD7317 is used by Cummins 5.9 guys to replace the factory filter, And it's no different than the filters you would find in many 4cly turbo diesels overseas except it's has the Venturi feature for better flow and pressure.

This will give you a better ideal on how they flow. The LF9028 is the direct cross for it and I did happen to pick up a few from filterbarn for around 23 bucks each, these are even better due to their stacked disk.

http://www.fleetguard.com/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/972957.pdf

Dvldoc,

Thanks for the informative link to the design analysis and filter performance results of the Fleetguard "dual" venturi filter.

The point I was trying to make is that people should NOT use one of these filters as the bypass filter in a typical full flow filter and separate bypass filter setup (ie, two filter canisters in use), as the full flow part of the BD7317 filter would rob a lot of oil pressure and oil from the separate full flow filter that supplies oil to the engine's main oil galleys.

It looks like the new filter design makes a lot of sense as a replacement for a single factory full flow filter, as it provides both full flow and bypass filter functions in a single filter canister without any extra hoses and plumbing.

The BD7317 has a Venturi on it as well though not as big as the Fleetguard, The flow is higher than the Cellulose Fleetguard full flow. No reports of oil pressure issues even for cold starts have been reported that I can find.

The LF9028 is a better filter and hold about 4 times the soot. At 23 bucks each well worth the price from filterbarn. The BD7313 can be had for about 12 to 13 bucks still very good and better than any full flow but cheaper than a bypass filter.

My friend just did this set up with a Nissan Pathfinder VQ35 engine, using the BD7317 and a single remote filter mount kit. After I turned him on to this set up, So far so good no issues with the Baldwin he is going for 20000 mile OCI. And will send of a EOA at 8000 miles to see how it's working.

It's hard to find those universal perma-cool kits fortunately I had a few at the house.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dvldoc
My friend just did this set up with a Nissan Pathfinder VQ35 engine, using the BD7317 and a single remote filter mount kit. After I turned him on to this set up, So far so good no issues with the Baldwin he is going for 20000 mile OCI. And will send of a EOA at 8000 miles to see how it's working.

Interesting, got any pics of the setup?

Sorry no pics on this, He's stationed about 200 miles away.

On the Buick 3800, I think you would have to go with a relocation kit. One of my cars is a 2000 Daytona GTP and I don't think it would fit. I use a fleetguard microglass media filter on mine, oil stays golden brown year round. 50% efficient at 7 microns.

Originally Posted By: txgp17
mangusta1969 said:
If you're using the EaBp120 and it get's damaged, you just slap any regular 7.3L Powerstroke filter on it, or a Donaldson ELF7405 or P554005, or any comparable CAT filter with 1 1/2”-16 thread can be used.
Forgot to add, you can also use any Ford 7.3 Power Stroke filter in place of the EaBp120 too. Those a everywhere and cheap. So if you encounter a ruptured filter, finding temporary fix is really easy.

The Dodge Cummins filter is 1-16 same as the Amsoil bypass.
Wix #57136 is rated at 10 microns with no internal bypass for Cummins remote mount applications.
I've been considering this myself.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
I am using one of their bases to feed a bypass filter. I had trouble hooking a Racor ABS bypass filter to my 5.4L (only one tap into the lube circuit and it's very inaccessible). It works great for that as well.

Note that if you want to use a Pareto base for parallel flow, the only filter they know works properly is the Amsoil included with the kit. The parallel flow concept won't work if the filter is too restrictive. The Amsoil has just the right flow characteristics to work.

Does anyone know if the Pareto base will work with a parallel Frantz filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back