Oil Recommendation for '05 5.3L Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering what some of you guys would recommend for a 2005 Chevy Silverado 5.3L Z71 with 179,000 miles. I have always used Castrol GTX but have wanted to switch to a synthetic for the longer OCIs. My driving is mainly short trips and city driving, with an occasional 300 mile highway trip every few months. I don't drive very hard or fast(mainly because of gas prices), but I have thought about a better oil due to the mileage. Any ideas?

First thought is GC but you have a 2005.. so im not sure?

You might be just fine with M1 0W-30 AFE...........................

Whatever you can get on sale...for example, this month's AAP has 5 QTS Pennzoil Platinum + K&N filter for $30...and M1 with an M1 filter for $32...

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums. Any synthetic will most likely work well with your application. Just do not expect your MPG to improve. I never saw any difference. I am a big fan of following the oil sales, and purchasing max. quantity offered in the deal.

Last edited:
Is there any advantage of going with Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra over Mobil 1? And as far as M1 would it be better to go with the M1 HM or EP? And what type of OCI should I go with running synthetic? I wouldn't feel comfortable going the 15k like M1 EP states but I was thinking more around 5-7.5k
Edit: And when I said mileage in the original post I meant the number of miles on the engine, not MPG. Im not expecting an increase.

Last edited:
The sleeper oil is Quaker State Ulimate durability 5W30 . its only $20.57 @ Wal-Mart. full synthetic too. its a very good oil, lots of us here use it. good for 7,500 mile oci easy
cool.gif

Last edited:
Just run "conventional" oil at that short of an OCI. The Full Synthetic isnt synthetic and the conventional is near synthetic. About how long will it take you to put on 5-7K miles? If A year, then I would not ever recommend a 1x year OCI if these is winter use so a "conventional" fall + spring OCI might work for you.

Originally Posted By: ChevyZ
I was wondering what some of you guys would recommend for a 2005 Chevy Silverado 5.3L Z71 with 179,000 miles. I have always used Castrol GTX but have wanted to switch to a synthetic for the longer OCIs. My driving is mainly short trips and city driving, with an occasional 300 mile highway trip every few months. I don't drive very hard or fast(mainly because of gas prices), but I have thought about a better oil due to the mileage. Any ideas?

5w-30 for winter, and 10w-30 for summer. Quaker State Ultimate Durability works good. I have been using QS synthetic for a long time. My last fill was G-oil because I got it free after rebate. I have not had a UOA on the G-oil, so I don't know how it compares to other oil. If you don't mind spending money, Amsoil is a popular choice for long drain intervals.

Welcome!!! I have an 05 Silverado Z71 with the 5.3L also. I was using Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 until about a year ago when I switched to Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w-30. Both are great in my truck, but for the price, it's very hard to beat the QDUD.

Originally Posted By: sopususer
Another QSUD user here in my 11 Silverado 5.3. However I may step up to Pennzoil Ultra on my next change. Can't really beat the QSUD for the value for synthetic.

Agree with the above on QSUD.
FWIW, we have run Synpower 5-30 in our 04 for 105K no issues

I had an 05 with the HO 5.3L( the aluminum block version with 310 HP ). I ran Royal Purple but for your needs that is overkill. Actually, GTX is a very good conventional oil. For your use I would say there is no need to change anything.

I personally would not just swap a 179,000 motor over to synthetic if this is the 1st time it is being used. You might end up with leaks and/or increased oil consumption after the synthetic cleans things out in there( exposing exsisting issues not actually causing them ). If it were me I would use a High Mileage oil in either full syn or a blend that contain additives to not only clean the engine out but to recondition the seals to help prevent leaks/consumption issues. Valvoline offers a full synthetic version and a blend HM oil in their MaxLife line. The full syn version is very hard to find but the blend is everywhere and very affordable. It is also a very good oil.

If you really want to run a regular full syn I would do at least 2-3 OCI's with an HM oil 1st then swap. Penzoil Platinum works very well in the GM 5.3L. It was very popular back in the day when I was on the GM truck forums( I had the 05 then a NBS 07 ). If you can find it Kendall GT1 w/ LT is a very affordable and quality full syn( make sure you get the full syn - GT1 is a line name like MaxLife for Valvoline )I also recommend.

My driving is mainly short trips and city driving, with an occasional 300 mile highway trip every few months.
Based on that statement, I would say stick with the GTX or any other dino, but go up to the HM formula. What is your yearly mileage rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back