Pennzoil/Quaker State/Shell Technical Data Sheets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got of the phone with Shell and the new TDS's are out. It isn't user friendly, but you have to do a product search on the Shell Catalogue.

http://www.epc.shell.com/

Pennzoil Platinum

Quaker State Ultimate Durability

As can see nothing has changed from what I can see (properties), except for the new certifications (GF-5/dexos1).

Hard to believe these were reformulated but still match the old TDS exactly down to the decimal points in terms of properties.

By the way Ultra is not going away. It is up to the retailers to carry it. All the Walmarts here carry it.

Last edited:
First oils to show a A1/B1-08 rating. The others are 04. Looks good other than the higher NOACK.

Pennzoil has been claiming the "meets latest SN API grades" on some of their packaging for the past couple months now as reported here.....though my local WM hasn't received any of this new product/packaging which stated as such
smile.gif

We got the "old" PYB, and then the "new" PYB with the "45% sludge removal" message on the bottle.

Still awaiting the new SN oil - but likely it'll take a bit for it to arrive in stores, since Walmart and the like will be first clearing out their warehouses of the "old" oil before shipping out the "new" packages/bottles
smile.gif

Huh weird. Almost seems like QS is a little better than PP. Probably not more to even make a difference, but interesting.

QS 5w30 MRV (-35°C) 12,800
PP 5w30 MRV (-35°C) 14,800

PP 5w30 pour point -39°C
QS 5w30 pour point -45°C

QS 5w30 flash point 227°C
PP 5w30 flash point 224°C

I reading the Lubrizol website it casts a negative light on A1/B1 in general saying "ACEA A1/B1 oils are typically used in older vehicles as they do not provide the minimum performance demanded by the latest OEM specifications."

and

"Prior to ACEA 2008, ACEA A1/B1 was usually coupled with the Ford specification, WSS-M2C913-B. However, a new edition of this specification has been introduced by Ford which requires a higher minimum ACEA performance level of ACEA A5/B5-08. This will further reduce the range of applications for which ACEA A1/B1-08 oils are suitable."

So I guess neither of these oils will meet the updated Ford spec. Does this affect anybody?

I can't figure out if A1/B1-08 may be preferable to A5/B5-02 because the "02" spec is pretty old now.

I'm sure none of this is going to make a spit of difference in my cars but it would be nice to know. I always liked A5 because it specified a longer drain. However, it appears that the new A1/B1-08 has a higher TBN than A5/B5-02. Does that make it a better longer drain oil now?

Originally Posted By: dakota99
Huh weird. Almost seems like QS is a little better than PP. Probably not more to even make a difference, but interesting.

PP 5w30 pour point -39°C
QS 5w30 pour point -45°C

I've noticed that as well - that the cold-weather values for QS are just slightly better than PP...weird!

Originally Posted By: addyguy

PP 5w30 pour point -39°C
QS 5w30 pour point -45°C

I've noticed that as well - that the cold-weather values for QS are just slightly better than PP...weird!

QS tend to use better base stocks and possibly more VIIs but PP uses better additives for cleaning. That's what I've been getting at least

Pennzoil High Mileage PDS is dated. I'm going to pass on SOPUS products. They can't even get their website/PDS's correct.

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
Originally Posted By: addyguy

PP 5w30 pour point -39°C
QS 5w30 pour point -45°C

QS tend to use better base stocks and possibly more VIIs but PP uses better additives for cleaning. That's what I've been getting at least

i think Noack at 11.5 is very good... maybe too good?
20.gif

QS Noack Volatility, % 14
PP Noack Volatility, % 11.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back