Calibre Full Synthetic 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
As you are probably aware, oil prices are nuts down here.

One of the retailers (SuperCheapAuto) runs their own line of filters and oils.

I'm quite taken by their filters, as they are cheaper than name brands, silicon ADBV, thicker cans, steel end caps, and a fair amount of media (at least in the GM V-6 size).

They've got their own line of "Calibre" oils, coolants etc.

Here's their "fleet" 5W030, for nearly half the price of things like Castrol Edge and Mobil 1.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-...013#Description

Statement from their techs indicate that it MEETS:
5W-30
SF
CF
A3/B4
C3

So it's got-to have HTHS >3.5
Best I could get was,
-36C pour point,
V@100C 12.2 cst

$8.50 a litre, that is not too bad.

Would be good to know who makes it or blends it.

You can get M1 online for about $11 a litre, I can PM you the website if you'd like. Same people also sell Amsoil and RP.

I am a bit leery of unknown name brand oils, but it may well be just repackaged stuff. probably from Nulon?

Dunno...their 15W-40 was Gulf Western, who don't have anything that looks like this.

Am going to the big smoke this weekend to the Harry Potter exhibition at the Power House....will be able to get a peek maybe at a car parts shop and Bunnings on the way home.

Have seen the guy selling M1, RP, and Amsoil on fleabay...might give them a look

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Statement from their techs indicate that it MEETS:
5W-30
SF
CF
A3/B4
C3

So it's got-to have HTHS >3.5
Best I could get was,
-36C pour point,
V@100C 12.2 cst

Being C3 it probably has a very low TBN. I wouldn't use it unless I had to (like in a recent diesel car with DPF/urea).
ACEA E6 oils like Castrol Enduron Low SAPS 10W40 (which is available in Australia) can often be substituted for C3 oils - Mercedes actually approves this substitution. The TBN of the Castrol above is >12, I'll bet the oil you looked at is ~6.

Charlie

Buy a liter, send it in for analysis!
laugh.gif

Um, if its certified to API SF, it is certified to a spec that is 30 years old. Not exactly cutting-edge stuff!

$8.50/litre? Are you nuts?

Heh, the only oil on that page that compares to here is the No\ulon 20W-50 in the blac bottle - 5L for $21.95.

That's about the price we pay for an average 5L container 5W-20, 5W-30, or 10W-30 at many stores.

Mobil 1 for $11 a Quart? That seems awfully pricey to me.

I buy my Mobil 1 products here:
http://www.petroleumservicecompany.com/mobil-full-syn--engine-oil.html

I can get them delivered to the door for about (including shipping) $9.50 a quart, $41.00 a case without shipping, great pricing on all products.

They also have a bunch of great Kendall Proucts, That in fact may test higher than Mobil 1 on an Oil analysis Study if compared.

Ford

Last edited:
M1 0W-40 was $96 ($100US) for 5 litres today.

Calibre was $46.95...except someone's been reading here, and it's all gone.

Originally Posted By: wmford23
Mobil 1 for $11 a Quart? That seems awfully pricey to me.

e121627f.jpg

Rubbish photo, but took it on the way through a Caltex station this arv.

I have just changed to Calibre 10W-30 and, in only 500km, it has changed colour more than the Fuchs I was previously using.
The engine is subjected to 500km open road running weekly and changed at 10000km. Any ideas why?

If it's that, then it can't specify C-3 as an approval.

I checked with Caltex...it's C3

C3 is an expensive oil in the UK.

The Carlube in my Pathy was like water when it was put in.

Can't find any data about TBN or similar.

I feel your pain regarding oil prices though.

I wish I could bring a container full kver from the US.

Actually that might not be a bad idea if you look at the margins that Opieoils seems to have in it's Amsoil and Redline.

Ebay here I come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back