Husqvarna with a Kohler engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stand by my earlier statement
Use Rotella t5 10w30, its a synthetic blend, and will stand up much better in a Kohler than 5w30 passenger car oil.

Not saying the 5w30 will outright ruin the engine, but you won't get the most life out of the engine.
I have ran Rotella T6 5w40 in many small engines with great results as well.

Originally Posted By: Blumurder
.... will it really matter if I use 5w30?

Probably not. That little push mower will hum along happily on any motor oil, be it 5w20,5w30, 10w30 or SAE30 provided you keep a proper level in it.

I tend to go a little overkill and run inexpensive heavy-duty/diesel engine oils in my small air-cooled stuff. 15w40 is usually the cheapest and easiest to get, but it can be had in 10w30 as well.

Joel

It says to use 30w in temps above 32 and I only use this mower in warm weather so will it really matter if I use 5w30?

Don't just use any automotive oil. Most auto oils now are either SN or SM rated. That Kohler likely calls for SG or SH. The latter 2 oils contain far more ZPPD, which that engine needs for longer life. I would use either Amsoil ASE (exclusively made for small engines) or an HDEO diesel oil, which should also specify SG or SH, or whatever it is that your Kohler specs call for.

Just using a 5W-30 automotive oil, even if its synthetic, isn't really your best choice.

Originally Posted By: JTK

Probably not. That little push mower will hum along happily on any motor oil, be it 5w20,5w30, 10w30 or SAE30 provided you keep a proper level in it.

Are we sure its a "little push mower"? My buddy also has a "Husqvarna with a Kohler engine"...but its a tractor with a 54" deck and 25HP Kohler Courage. Slight difference??

Probably doesn't change anything...I ran 30wt Rotella in a smaller push mower with good results, and I run 5w40 HDEO in everything else.

Originally Posted By: deeter16317

Are we sure its a "little push mower"?

I assumed this because larger Kohlers don't typically spec SAE30, they spec 10w30.

Husqvarna push-mowers with Kohler Chondas are very popular these days.

Joel

While the engine will run just fine with any regular automobile type engine oil, I'd definitely choose something better suited for small air cooled engines.

Reason is, air cooled engines are exposed to a variety of conditions and temperatures that you don't find in modern liquid cooled auto engines. The high temperatures capable in air cooled engines can and will break down additives and shear the oil.

Choose the narrowest viscosity spread for the temperatures you plan on encountering. 5w-30 is okay in the winter, but I wouldn't use it in sustained high temperature operation. 10w-30 is okay for all season use, but a 30 weight will be more stable and maintain its viscosity better than a multi-grade in high ambient temps.

I use a 10w-30 HDEO, which has much a higher ZDDP and phosphorus count, which are important anti-wear additives, useful in this type of engine. Briggs and Stratton & Kohler branded oils are good choices as the level of additives present are far beyond that of an automobile oil, as there is no catalytic converter poisoning and efficiency to worry about.

I don't subscribe to the "thicker than manufacturers recommendation" ideas, but I bet Rotella 5w-40 HDEO or Mobil1 Turbo Diesel truck 5w-40 would be excellent choices as well if you're after a Synthetic.

I have a (2) Generac XL4000's (1) Chinese quiet diesel genset
(1) 5kw yanmar (L90) generator and a 25kw pto generator for my tractor.
I use M1 5-30 in the Generic’s and Rotella T6 5w40 in the diesels.
I live in the N east and with temperatures that can range from -30 to 90+.
I need an oil that will allow me to pull start the engine in the cold and provide immediate oil pressure but also protect in 90deg + temperatures.
I run them periodically using a 9kw space heater with 3 settings 3, 6, & 9 KW’s to run them under load.
I also replaced the fuel line using clear motorcycle fuel line and an automotive fuel filter.
In addition I added a T in the fuel line (gas units) which is plumbed into the top of the fuel tank which allows the fuel to completely drain from the fuel filter & line after the fuel shutoff is closed I then run the engine out of fuel.
This minimizes the chance of fuel remaining in the carburetor & fowling it up.
I also use Marine Stabil in the gas.

Is Walmart 30 wt decent oil?

If Walmart oil is Super Tech then yes its good oil.

I also have a Husqvarna rider (54") with a Kohler Courage engine. I run Mobil 1 10W/30 as I do in all my lawn equipment. No issues in 20+years of doing this.

BTW -The Kohler engine is smooth, but there is no fitting to run an oil pressure gauge!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back